Author Topic: Fire season starts early  (Read 25882 times)

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Fire season starts early
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2006, 06:12:51 PM »
Blinky - KI is like Ngarkat - burns every year, we have debriefs every year and each year we get some things improved - slow wheel to improvement.

Interesting though - we go to NSW and Vic and seam to get most of it right, but can't in our own back yard - go figure???

I reckon it can be easily explained why it all seems to work well when we go interstate, but doesn't seem to go as well in our own back yard......

When we go interstate, we tend to get the best of the IMT people, and the best of the crews, because we have the time to organise things, employers are perhaps more willing to let their staff go because the perception is that things are much more serious if we send people interstate, than locally (even though it is probably the other way round!)  whereas for a local thing we get whoever can turn up ASAP - who may not be the best person for the job, but at least it's a person to help......

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2006, 02:34:22 PM »
According to The Border Watch today soil down here is drying out twice as fast as it did in the 1982/1983 drought :-o
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 03:04:08 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2006, 04:07:20 PM »
According to The Border Watch today soil down here is drying out twice as fast as it did in the 1982/1983 drought :-o

Im glad you emphasised the words "the border watch"    :-D :-D :-D
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2006, 05:51:39 PM »

Im glad you emphasised the words "the border watch"    :-D :-D :-D

Its my favourite paper to read 4 days a week Camo  :-D but still doesnt the soil drying out twice as fast now as it did 24 1/2-25 years ago concern you one bit  :-(
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2006, 06:40:58 PM »
Grasses up around Naracoorte are much drier than down here in The Mount at the moment. A few more warm days will fix that though. This drizzle of rain wont have much affect. Yes I am worried Robert that it will be a nasty season.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2006, 06:57:15 PM »
Its my favourite paper to read 4 days a week Camo  :-D but still doesnt the soil drying out twice as fast now as it did 24 1/2-25 years ago concern you one bit  :-(

Yes it concerns me but It doesnt mean nothing unless a fire starts  :-D

Same as always though...pager goes off so you respond to the station
Compton CFS Website

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2006, 07:13:48 PM »
Grasses up around Naracoorte are much drier than down here in The Mount at the moment. A few more warm days will fix that though. This drizzle of rain wont have much affect. Yes I am worried Robert that it will be a nasty season.

The grass around Kalangadoo is starting to dry out as well ath even though its still green the colour is off greenish/yellow colour so a few more warm days like you said will dry it out

According to the Weather Bureau website temperature outlook were gonna have a really warm/hot November which in a way does work to my advantage as i am re-entering my float from last year into this years Mount Gambier Christmas Parade and a warm/sunny would be a blessing  :-D
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2006, 07:19:50 PM »
Prediction from our Group meeting the other night was 100% curing in two weeks time.

Quite achievable if we get some sunny days with some wind.

Which float is your rob?  need to know which one i need to throw the water balloons at! :lol:
Compton CFS Website

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2006, 07:43:55 PM »
My float is the Little Red Toy & Pokemon Christmas Car and no you cant throw water bombs at it Camo cause my support crew will be working really hard on parade morning to get it set up just right before the parade just like they did last year  :wink:

100 % curing  :-o thats unusual for this time of year but then again its an ominous sign of whats to come in the next few months  :cry: :|

If you want a picture of the float Camo for the Gambier Group base or your brigade station wall dont forget the Digital Camera cause my float was quite popular last year  :-D
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2006, 08:00:23 PM »
In regards to IMT teams.....weekend course being run this weekend at Brukunga for senior AIIMS team members. So in theory better trained people will help the process and limit the issues in the future....or am I just in happy, happy land  :mrgreen:
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2006, 08:25:10 PM »
Hopefully with the increased training courses, and also courses that raise a better understanding inf the process, at least everyone will be on the same page, so to speak!!!

If you do nothing, then nothing will come of it!!   :-)

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2006, 08:27:54 AM »
cam, have to see if we can get a bomber to drop a load on that float :evil:(joke)
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2006, 10:19:22 AM »
cam, have to see if we can get a bomber to drop a load on that float :evil:(joke)

Up there for thinking!
Compton CFS Website

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2006, 03:23:55 PM »
Better still I will be there with my two sons you would be surprised what two 9lt air waters can do.....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2006, 08:57:59 PM »
Better still I will be there with my two sons you would be surprised what two 9lt air waters can do.....

Quick attack :-D
Images are copyright

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2006, 10:25:04 AM »
or am I just in happy, happy land  :mrgreen:

its alright, you have rob for company