Author Topic: Wail sirens dogs starts dogs howling  (Read 19441 times)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Wail sirens dogs starts dogs howling
« on: October 31, 2006, 12:28:31 PM »
Last night aftre midnight, multiple emergency vehicles sirens could be heard in the Port Noarlunga South area. The vehicles were using the wail setting on the sirens & I suspect they were travelling through the South Rd/Southern Expressway area.

When the first group of vehicles passed, several dogs in the area began  howling. First one, maybe two dogs started. Then the dogs got confidence  & several began to howl.

A few owners could be heard yelling at the dogs to shut-up.

A few minutes later another group of emergency vehicles passed on the same route with wail sirens going. Same thing happened with dogs howling.

I suspect some dogs were then really told off by owners physically getting up & opening the back doors.

I have not heard the dogs howling for a few years. Does it happen often in other areas ?

I know of one country SES Unit that was reuested by the township that after 11:00pm, do not switch on the vehicle siren unless absolutely necessary until outside town limits. Basically, no vehicles on the roads between 11:00pm and 5:00am anyway within the town.

Do some Units/Brigades do this or is it ll lights/noise from the shed ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline squiddy

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Wail sirens dogs starts dogs howling
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 01:00:37 PM »
The dogs are usually the first indicator that the fellas are out around here... they start howling just before I can hear the sirens, and funnily enough, I still hear the sirens quite a while before anyone else.

It's official... Squiddy is part dog.  :-o

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 01:05:13 PM »
Pet Hate..... No traffic.... No sirens....... Doesnt wash well with our community anyway, quite often get complaints when the boys get trigger happy (for want of a better description).

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 01:06:52 PM »
we never use the sirens at night (between about 2200 & 0600) unless there is a need to clear traffic.... which would be highly doubtful.

we dont even use them some times during the day if there is no need...

it should come back to common sense anyway.

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 01:15:06 PM »
When I was a kid our dog used to howl like crazy when the town fire siren went.LOL

Offline Pixie

• Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 02:52:32 PM »
If it was the incident last night next to the expressway, it was not after midnight,We were mobile at 2057, I was OIC on the first truck, SEAFORD 24, and we only used the sirens when they were necessary!

For anyone interested, it was a car fire in the new section of Noarlunga Downs. Mawson Group car discovered it and responded SEAFORD, we were participating in a group exercise on Seaford rd. SEAFORD 24P promptly responded, but about 100m's down the road stopped dead due to electrical issues, which have since been rectified, so SEAFORD 24 was responded. we arrived and with the assistance of Morphett Vale 24 and Morphett Vale 14 Extinguished the fire....and then i got stuck doing paperwork, yay!

Pixie
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 03:46:46 PM »
i thought you were a cadet.

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 04:37:13 PM »
Well obviously not a cadet if he's going to a call.  You being the most experienced on the truck minus the driver is a bit worrying but I guess you need to get experience somewhere.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 05:58:45 PM »
a couple years back Kalangadoo was paged for an apple truck roll over just outside of town this was between 0700-0730 am being one of the first crew members down the station we had to activate the station siren since no driver was available

We got a few complaints from town residents about our station siren going off that early because their dogs went nuts on hearing the siren sound   
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 06:56:07 PM »
Don't forget the road rules flashing lights don't constitute a emergency vehicle you must have lights and siren going.......
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Pixie

• Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 07:53:51 PM »
i thought you were a cadet.
WAS a cadet, at the start of the year

You being the most experienced on the truck minus the driver is a bit worrying

yes, thats what i thought as i saw who was running for the truck!!

but i think this incident highlights just how important the cadet program is!! it is amazing how much you can learn by doing mock incidents!!
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 08:02:45 PM »
Don't forget the road rules flashing lights don't constitute a emergency vehicle you must have lights and siren going.......

I don't reckon you have to have both going....CFS SOP's also talks about sirens and / or flashing nights.....it is not a necessity for both.....just a bit of common sense helps!!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 09:25:53 PM »
I don't know about the CFS' seperate ruling on the issue, but generally an emergency vehicle is to display a siren, and/or red and/or blue light - when responding under priority to incidents.

A Cadet 9 months ago, and now an OIC of the appliance... - I wouldn't say it is worrying, as I have worked with many junior members who can cut it just as good as seniors.. - However I would be concerend a brigade as busy at that one, didn't have any other more senior members to take the OIC spot on the appliance.. - I would be very hesitant for a crew member who had only stepped up from cadets earlier this year to be running a job / appliance - It is ALOT of responsibility for a younger person. - But well done on your effort, sounds like the job got done !

Offline Pixie

• Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 09:40:07 PM »

However I would be concerned a brigade as busy at that one, didn't have any other more senior members to take the OIC spot on the appliance.

All of our officers were on the other truck, which broke down. After the initial attack of the fire, the officer from Morphett Vale took over Incident control, at my request.
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 10:38:48 PM »
A couple years back a friend was a senior at Seaford and was with him when the pager dropped for a domestic at Maslin beach the then captain put me on the truck as OIC i had no PPE with me, and we rolled up to a going 2 storey with person reported, The beach and Mclaren Vale rocked up and only being a FF, out of my own area, and no PPE i couldn't give away the OIC job no matter how hard i tried considering there were 3 lt's and 2 captains on scene??

Luckily i could actually do the job, but still how would you guys feel working in your area under an OIC who you don't know. Maybe a trend for that brigade :lol:

Nah they're alright they're a good mob at seaford
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 11:06:38 PM »
Just confirming what Pipster and RescueHazmat said; according to the ARR you don't need both light and sirens going to be an emergency vehicle, either will do.  
There is also nothing saying that an emergency vehicle must have lights or sirens going when responding to an emergency. (Or so a policeman told me, I would hope he's not wrong...)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 08:47:02 AM »
If you read COSO 8 Priority One Driving it says the same thing lights and/or sirens can be used.Still complys withh ARR's.Its up to the OIC as to what Priority the appliance travels on etc.

Remember the image portrayed to the public and we are professionals   

Did wonders in our area we dont use the siren at night anymore unless there is traffic, and our wheelie bins have reduced to almost nothing because we have taken the fun away from them not waking up the whole neighbourhood at 04:00 in the morning :-D
Images are copyright

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 09:09:23 AM »
Please note that sirens should only be used if lights are being used.... Not just the siren on its own......

I dont think the rules specify that exactly, but worth pointing out.....

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 09:16:29 AM »
Please note that sirens should only be used if lights are being used.... Not just the siren on its own......

I dont think the rules specify that exactly, but worth pointing out.....

Priority One is beacons/lights activated and/or sounding an alarm as defined

Definitely not the siren on its own :evil:
Images are copyright

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 09:50:33 AM »

Priority One is beacons/lights activated and/or sounding an alarm as defined

Definitely not the siren on its own :evil:

The problem with that statement is the 'and/or'.... implies that the siren can be used on its own.

However that is how it is defined in the ARR.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 11:42:39 AM »
You would think that the MFS in Adelaide would get alot of complaints from people living just outside the CBD about them zooming along the main roads in the early hours of the morning with lights & sirens going

Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Crankster 34

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2006, 12:01:49 PM »
You would think that the MFS in Adelaide would get alot of complaints from people living just outside the CBD about them zooming along the main roads in the early hours of the morning with lights & sirens going

The MFS don't use sirens at night unless necessary, the same as most CFS brigades.
Crankster on scene, you can take a stop...

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2006, 12:41:21 PM »
A couple years back a friend was a senior at Seaford and was with him when the pager dropped for a domestic at Maslin beach the then captain put me on the truck as OIC i had no PPE with me

Should you be going out on an appliance with no PPE??

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2006, 03:40:57 PM »

Extract from ARR

306—Exemption for drivers of emergency vehicles

A provision of the Australian Road Rules does not apply to the driver of an emergency vehicle if:

(a)     in the circumstances:

(i)     the driver is taking reasonable care; and

(ii)     it is reasonable that the rule should not apply; and

(b)     if the vehicle is a motor vehicle that is moving—the vehicle is displaying a blue or red flashing light or sounding an alarm.

Obviously everyone needs to read COSO 8 :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2006, 03:43:02 PM »
They were well short on crew and knew i had no PPE, and i said i would go out and handle comms if they were that stetched. But went no where near the house. But as i said i was quite happy to hand off to another officer and go stand across the road and watch, but there were no takers even when a DGO rocked up??
Lt. Goolwa CFS

anything