Author Topic: Wail sirens dogs starts dogs howling  (Read 19460 times)

Offline Ryan

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Wail sirens dogs starts dogs howling
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2006, 05:53:43 AM »
The siren should be used only when really necessary.  If theres a car in front of you put it on, if youre approaching a built up area put it on.  Approach an intersection, put it on.  Travelling on non built up roads with no cars, leave it off.  Ive noticed when we approach the scene of the job we put ours on for about 5 seconds.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2006, 08:06:49 AM »
Is there not ruling that determines the time that you can use your siren? I thought i was ready something that said 08:00 to 20:00 or something? Our siren is on a timer which sets it to times near this.
It is controlled basically by the station controller, e.g CFSRES or URGMSG yuo can change it to suit and the same goes for door locks and so-on.

Different siren...those guidelines refer to the station siren...although its use is also governed to a certain degree on what your community wants...

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2006, 10:20:18 AM »
MundCFS you could do like our station used to be and have a timer so that way the siren gets activated all the time it just doesn't get power from 8pm till 8 am so it can't go off during that time.
Now we only activate it the same as pip said when there is a rural fire near town.

Offline 2090

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2006, 08:15:17 PM »
Glen Osmond MFS have a button for the cross roads, port rush & mt barker rd intersection.

Are you sure? Last I heard they had to ring up to get them changed... I believe SAMFS Comcen can change lights in the metro area too...

No, they have control over the light of the M1/Port Rush/Cross Rd./Glen Osmond rd. locally at the station, then have to ring up with a route no. to get others changed. You should know this, with your COQ being there.

Ryan, Wouldnt you be turning your siren OFF, when you get near a job? Make things nice and comfortable for any casualties around? Or is it just your brigades way of saying "Look at us we're here" ?

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2006, 09:53:17 PM »
I dont know, maybe we turn it off at RCR's I dont really take that much notice I know that sometimes I hear it go on as we near the incident, especially for things like fires or alarms. 

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2006, 07:50:04 AM »
I know O'Halloran hill have 2 buttons, 1 for left which gives them the front of station and Majors Rd/Lonsdale highway lights and one for right that does the front of station and Majors rd/South rd lights. Anything more than that i think they need to call up.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2006, 08:16:01 AM »
Ryan, Wouldnt you be turning your siren OFF, when you get near a job? Make things nice and comfortable for any casualties around? Or is it just your brigades way of saying "Look at us we're here" ?

its the backwards brigade.... dont use it whilst travelling then turn it on when you get to the job  :-)

Offline Chirp / Vibrate

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2006, 11:17:16 AM »
Glen Osmond MFS have a button for the cross roads, port rush & mt barker rd intersection.

Are you sure? Last I heard they had to ring up to get them changed... I believe SAMFS Comcen can change lights in the metro area too...

The button was there when i had a tour back in 2002.

O'Halloran Hill MFS/SAAS had a button last time I was there..

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2006, 06:43:23 AM »
A set of the Emergency Traffic Lights that MFS have outside their stations are $100,000 a set,and I know what the answer is to anyone asking for them at CFS stations.....NO and buckleys chance :evil:
Images are copyright