Author Topic: New Helicopters  (Read 2836 times)

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
New Helicopters
« on: April 03, 2005, 09:32:41 PM »
Hi all, thought you may be interested to know about the tender process for new Helicopter service in SA is now complete and I believe this will be what we're getting:

2x Bell 412 (or equivalent) set up as Rescue 51 is currently with focus on SAR and multitasking (ie Medivac, Fire Spotting, etc)

1x BK117 (replacing current Bell 217 as Rescue 52) this will be a quieter aircraft with multitask capacity. I believe a high push for more medical related set up with barn/clam rear doors for stretcher loading, winch capable, and again only heard throught the grapevine, but underbody slinging and fitting for a 1000lt Firefighting bucket! Range and speed for this aircraft will vary with layout, but about the same as Rescue 51 I believe (Max Speed 250+kmph and Range around 500kms deopendent on fuel tank confirguration)

I can see which aircraft will be request by most agencies!

I think it will all be up and running by december. Not sure whether CHC will maintain all aircraft and supply air crew, but I think BK117 is contracted from Helicopters Australia. :D
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline FF_Rayner

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
New Helicopters
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 10:15:17 AM »
This is going to be sweet.

I have just been looking around and found something funny!

The AH-1 Cobra is primarly a military attack helicopter, kinda like the apache, but designed for land and sea attacks. I wouldn't mind one for the CFS!

http://www.helispot.com/photos/02624.html
The old logo is much better

anything