Author Topic: Brigade Drivers  (Read 22863 times)

Timbo

Re: Brigade Drivers
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2006, 09:49:43 AM »
As a general rule, CFS will fund you for extra drivers, if you have less than 4 truck drivers per appliance, and from memory, that excludes Officers......

It is one of those things that often people have more than 4 drivers per appliance, but those people are often not around when you actually need them!!

I was told that if you have a case of enough drivers, but have none around, say, Mon - Fri daytime, you may be able to get some funding to train a few more......

Ask you Regional Training officer - they may be able to give you all the specifics...

Pip

Spot on Pip - thats how I got mine, we have 5 or 6 MR licenced, but rarely avail for day time call outs. I'm avail day time, and region funded my Lic (and another person) so we were better prepared for day time call outs .  went through BTO, GTO then RTO who funded it.  It took 2 months to get it to happen, bu tWe just kept on pushing until it was approved

pumprescue

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2006, 08:58:56 PM »
I had my HC licence at the age of 19 so yeah not hard to get a heavy licence by a young age. 25 for P1 drivers yeah good luck with that....most of our drivers are under 25....

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2006, 05:00:04 AM »
If some brigades didnt impose a restriction on "You have to live within 3 minutes of the station" to be a new member we would get some more :evil:

Images are copyright

probie_boy

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 03:38:07 PM »
If some brigades didnt impose a restriction on "You have to live within 3 minutes of the station" to be a new member we would get some more :evil:

enjoy the luxury of knocking back members. we take what we can get.

anyways, we're alright for drivers now. we have 5 operational (including officers)and 4 on the go. we suffered earlier in the year when we lost 2 drivers simultaneously, but we're back on now.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 04:00:44 PM »
CFS cant afford to be choosy,as drivers of appliances are worth Gold these days,so if you want new recruits to boost the brigade, lift the adhoc criteria :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 10:51:38 PM »
Ummm.... you cant hold a probationary licence for 1 class and a full for another. If you are on 'P's for a car then they must be shown when driving a MR etc... as well.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2006, 10:55:43 AM »
Talking about drivers with full licences being denied membership to a brigade because they are outside the 3 minute zone :evil:
Images are copyright

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2006, 08:50:35 PM »
I have only heard of one brigade in region 2 that have a restriction on where members must live within a certain zone. Is very restrictive are there more?

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2006, 09:00:42 PM »
Two brigades in region one I know of....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2006, 09:15:44 PM »
There are a number of brigades around the state that have a restriction on how far away from the station you can be....

Generally, those are brigades that have a high population, and can afford to pick & choose who joins..... (lucky them!!)   :-)

I can see the merits of that, in certain areas...but it certainly won't work for every brigade...

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2006, 07:42:42 AM »
In answer to Bills post I know of at least four, and Pip are'nt we supposed to be encouraging new members to join not turn them away

CFS RECRUITING NOW
Images are copyright

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2006, 07:47:09 AM »
I agree with SA Firey, brigades shouldnt discriminate on how far a volunteer lives away from the station we have someone who lives on & runs a farm outside of Kalangadoo and always gets here when he is a available

It doesnt matter how far you live from a local station as long as you can respond to the first or second page 

Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2006, 07:57:05 AM »
In answer to Bills post I know of at least four, and Pip are'nt we supposed to be encouraging new members to join not turn them away

CFS RECRUITING NOW

Yes, we should be encouraging new members..BUT some brigades are full (at least they were ....I am assume that is still the case in some!)   They can't take any more members, until some of the existing ones leave!

Some of the brigades who have a limit on how far away from the station you can be, do so for two reasons.  One is to keep their membership at a manageable level, the other is these brigades often adjoin MFS area, and an 8 or 10 minute response time to get the first appliance on the road to a call out is not acceptable to the brigade / group etc.

AS I mentioned before, these brigades often have a high population base - and can afford to be picky on who joins, as there are lots of other people in the same area wanting to join....

Pip

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2006, 06:45:25 AM »
One thing is for sure that after the fire's of this week some rural brigade's will get new members and some more much needed drivers....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2006, 09:33:17 AM »
One thing is for sure that after the fire's of this week some rural brigade's will get new members and some more much needed drivers....

Its amazing that after a lot of media coverage of fires we seem to get new members,but if there drivers even better :-D
Images are copyright

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2006, 08:47:21 PM »
but hang on you have to do BFF1 and that will not be till after summer????
blinky bill
my view only

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2006, 10:52:26 PM »
but hang on you have to do BFF1 and that will not be till after summer????

Of course there will be no more courses this year so they will have to wait, and then it will get cancelled as usual.

Oh well plenty of driver traing for them until they do BFFF1 :-D
Images are copyright

Offline Smokeydk

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2006, 07:38:02 AM »
Talking of Drivers, what is SOP for Officers incharge of an appliance on a fireground, can they be driver too?

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2006, 09:04:16 AM »
OIC of appliance can be driver however if there is another driver available takes priority...you are an OIC first.

It can be a case of if you were the only driver of the appliance to respond to an incident,and become Incident Controller once on scene and delegate pump duties to another member, depends on the job.
Images are copyright

Offline Smokeydk

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2006, 10:50:39 AM »
Thanks Mate :-D

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2006, 06:51:45 PM »
Hang on if You can organise a BFF1 there is no reason you cannot run it for your new truck driver.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2006, 08:45:43 AM »
Hang on if You can organise a BFF1 there is no reason you cannot run it for your new truck driver.

True,and a inhouse BFF1 is ideal for that,and it wouldnt be too hard to get numbers from within the group for a course :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline aust_fire1

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Port Elliot CFS
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2006, 01:26:49 PM »
We only have 4 regular drivers. We currently have a 24 and 34 appliance. We have asked for 34 the be replaced with a 14 landcruiser. If this happens then we will be a little better off...Still need to make sure the drivers are suitable to use it though.

90% of our incidents are North of here. As soon as we leave the station, it is a 20 minute driver up hill.
The Landcruiser will drop that time to 4 minutes up the hill

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2006, 01:34:23 PM »
Bet you just love that scenic drive up to Crows Nest pomm.... :lol:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline aust_fire1

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Port Elliot CFS
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2006, 05:46:17 PM »
just great....Going P1 and waving all the traffic to go past. Any slower up the hill and we would be in reverse