Author Topic: Hypothetical Hazmat  (Read 7066 times)

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Hypothetical Hazmat
« on: November 10, 2006, 01:51:28 PM »
Heres one. You are responded to a hazmat job along with a hazmat brigade/appliance from some distance away. On arrival you notice that there is a person that has been overcome by a mystery substance. You can see them but they are a bit of a distance away and you think you saw them flinch. You cannot smell anything but know that something isnt right. The hazmat appliance is 15 minutes away and you think that may be too long. What do you do??
1-put a BA set along with just your nomex/PBI and go in ?
2-Wait till the hazmat gear/operators arrive to be sure ?

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetical Hazmat
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 02:26:29 PM »
I would hope sombody else in my brigades has some idea of what to do.

I personaly would search from a distance (ie binoculars) for some sign of what the substance is whilst waiting for the Hazmat brigade.

is the substance solid liqud or gas? because that might also change my plan

Ath why don't you post hypotheticals in the hypothetical section? 

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 03:20:39 PM »

Your no good to anybody dead ;)

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 04:01:52 PM »
First thing is that you shouldn't be smelling anything...if you are, then you are probably too close!!!!

As for your casualty, unless they are a) burnt to a crisp   b) in two pieces   c) moving due to the maggot mass, then assume they are still alive.   

They used to teach "scoop & scoot" for these type of instances.....

Get BA, go in, grab the patient, come out.....decontaminate with lots of water......  d they still teach that in Hazmat?  (Been a while since I've been allowed to do a Hazmat course!!! )   :-D

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 04:31:17 PM »
When I was in the CFS in Para group we were told to do the quick grab in your ppe and you should be ok. I questioned that technique as you dont know what you are going into and water might not be enough to save you if you only have ppe/BA. Remembering the look after number 1 rule. Of course if you have the hazmat gear you take the time to put it on and then go in just to be sure.

Offline Ryan

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 04:50:39 PM »
We have a hypothetical thread for this, try and keep things tidy. :mrgreen:

id got no.2, as resceuhazmat said were no use being overcome ourselves. 

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 07:49:23 PM »
very hard call but 2 is the go,as for a crab and run athol no way with all that is on the road freight you are only asking for trouble and our life comes first...
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Ryan

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 08:24:03 PM »
Read the questions, it says

You can see them but they are a bit of a distance away and you think you saw them flinch
It could be your mind playing tricks on you or them going into mini convulsions as a side affect from the mystery substance.  The fact there is no guaranteee they are alive strengthens the fact we should go nowhere near them, wait for the martain men in gas suits to get in there.     

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 09:48:08 PM »
They could be running around singing for all i care...

I aint risking my life for no one. And before you say it i know everything we do is a risk but there is risk and there is stupidity!

Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 08:30:27 AM »
Just send in the group officer..... :roll:
blinky bill
my view only

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 11:00:52 PM »
OK, I wouldn't be so quick to leave the casualty to die. First I'd want to know what sort of substance we are likely to be dealing with. The location and timing of the event are going to be a good indication, and of course the person that called it in as a Hazmat is going to have some idea...

Is it farmer Joe unloading some herbicide from his ute right next to his weed sprayer, or is it a postman who accidentally opened John Howard's mail?

In the situation where you have no idea what it could be (like a 'mixed dangerous goods' truck), option 2 would be best, but if you can be "almost certain" that its a farm chemical, and you saw him move, option 1 might be worthwhile...

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 05:45:12 PM »
I think this is an example of every incident having different variables that need to be addressed. I often wonder how many hazmats go un reported and are swept up by some farmer or just people who don’t realize the danger with the substances.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 11:03:37 PM »
Or on the flip side to that, of "every man & his dog" going to call, for a box of chemicals lying on the side of the road...and after assembling multiple appliances, many Hazmat Operators etc, and then found out it was nothing more than an empty cardboard box...or chocolate sauce at another...   :-D

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 11:09:00 PM »
Or Spice at the airport... It's all good practice though... For when the real one comes along...

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 09:33:53 AM »
Or Spice at the airport... It's all good practice though... For when the real one comes along...

VERY HOT HOT CURRY :lol:

Remember the golden rule think about #1, and if you dont know what it is assume Hazchem 4WE

Scoop and scoot rescue has its risks, but if possible a rope thrown to the casualty to pull them out could work....and keeps you away from the hazard.
Images are copyright