Author Topic: Scanners  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Scanners
« on: December 03, 2006, 07:32:48 PM »
Heard a farmer on the a radio talkback show whinging that since CFS went to trunked radios that no one can listen to them anymore. Of course you can you just need a trunking scanner to do it. Most people know that, dont they???

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Scanners
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 07:43:32 PM »
shouldnt be listening anyway

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 07:51:46 PM »
scanning isnt illegal in Australia only in some states in the USA.

People listening on scanners can be a good thing and a bad thing. 

Good - Means people are aware of whats happening and maybe able to assist with a farm unit etc

Bad - Get rubber neckers! People coming for a look etc.  Even those photograhper types  :lol:
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 07:59:25 PM »
i didnt say they shouldnt be listening as in its illegal....

the issue i see, is the public listening in, hearing half the informtaion or misinterpreting information and then going off to "assist" or jkust have a lookand getting themselves killed..

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 08:10:32 PM »
Heard a farmer on the a radio talkback show whinging that since CFS went to trunked radios that no one can listen to them anymore. Of course you can you just need a trunking scanner to do it. Most people know that, dont they???

Thats true ath or a regular scanner with 200 channels can be programmed so people can listen to the GRN as my Uniden UH013 UHF CB Radio isnt a trunk tracker and yet i can recieve Government Radio Network on the scanner feature

It doesnt harm for people to have a scanner cause it would be a good investment for those living on farming properties or people living in the hills & Mount Lofty area

Scanners are infact widely used here in the Lower South East in towns like Kalangadoo,Millicent,Rendelsham,Glencoe,Tantanoola,Tarpeena,Nangwarry,Penola as well as in Mount Gambier  :wink:

Also it would bring some sorta comfort to people who have family members with disabilites or medical conditions that often require ambulance transport for treatment as they would be able to find out where an ambulance is coming from

The scanner has helped me and my mum plenty of times before when dad has popped his hip out and an ambulance is paged as were able to find out if SAAS is coming from Nangwarry or Mount Gambier 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 08:14:35 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 05:29:13 PM »
Nothing wrong with a bit of a heads up listening to the scanner...gives you a sitrep before you roll so at least you know what to expect.

Anyone looking at buying one UBC780XLT is the go best unit around.Plenty available on ebay :-D
Images are copyright

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 10:32:11 AM »
yep,have you seen the price.....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 04:26:10 PM »
Most of them have been going around the $300-$330 mark which is a steal when they used to be $649,still 500 channels is better than 250 :wink:
Images are copyright