Author Topic: Emergency Driving/Traffic Marshalling Course  (Read 22542 times)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Driving/Traffic Marshalling Course
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2008, 10:19:20 PM »
The Appliance training package was from the Transport Training Centre package developed with CFS. Given in November 2007.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2008, 10:27:28 PM »
Direct from ARR306

306—Exemption for drivers of emergency vehicles

A provision of the Australian Road Rules does not apply to the driver of an emergency vehicle if:

(a)     in the circumstances:

(i)     the driver is taking reasonable care; and

(ii)     it is reasonable that the rule should not apply; and

(b)     if the vehicle is a motor vehicle that is moving—the vehicle is displaying a blue or red flashing light or sounding an alarm.

ARR78
78—Keeping clear of police and emergency vehicles

(1)     A driver must not move into the path of an approaching police or emergency vehicle that is displaying a flashing blue or red light (whether or not it is also displaying other lights) or sounding an alarm.

Offence provision.

Note—

Approaching, emergency vehicle and police vehicle are defined in the dictionary.

(2)     If a driver is in the path of an approaching police or emergency vehicle that is displaying a flashing blue or red light (whether or not it is also displaying other lights) or sounding an alarm, the driver must move out of the path of the vehicle as soon as the driver can do so safely.

Offence provision.

(3)     This rule applies to the driver despite any other rule of the Australian Road Rules.

79—Giving way to police and emergency vehicles

(1)     A driver must give way to a police or emergency vehicle that is displaying a flashing blue or red light (whether or not it is also displaying other lights) or sounding an alarm.

Offence provision.

Note 1—

Emergency vehicle and police vehicle are defined in the dictionary.

Note 2—

For this rule, give way means:

(a)     if the driver is stopped—remain stationary until it is safe to proceed; or

(b)     in any other case—slow down and, if necessary, stop to avoid a collision,

—see the definition in the dictionary.

(2)     This rule applies to the driver despite any other rule that would otherwise require the driver of a police or emergency vehicle to give way to the driver.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 10:32:36 PM by SA Firey »
Images are copyright

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2008, 11:01:59 PM »
ive read COSO 8 again...and what i find interesting is that it only refers to what a member of public (i.e car driver) must do at the sight of blue or red flashing lights or sirens.  Havent found any references as to what CFS drivers must do, Yet.

This is from  Oct 2006, from a website, which i already know is out of date in sections.

Read COSO 8 Priority One Driving.

The only time lights and sirens MUST be used is when approaching intersections with a stop sign or traffic signals.

TTC cannot override the ARR's stick with the COSO's :roll: 
Images are copyright

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2008, 08:48:02 AM »
....TTC cannot override the ARR's stick with the COSO's :roll: 

I loooooove the use of acronyms (not)....please explain in laymans language   :-o
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2008, 08:54:25 AM »
COSO's from October 2006 are out of date...the lastest COSO is October 2007.  

Each brigade should have been sent a new updated copy, along with new "Operations Management Guidelines" dated Sept 2007

COSO 8, Emergency Response Driving, details circumstances when priority one driving should be used, procedures for approaching Stop signs & traffic signals, railway / tramways crossing, safety & speed limits, school crossing & Road works.

It also details when flashing lights should be used (which includes when driving Priority one)

There is also a mention of use of red & blue flashing lights on private vehicles (not allowed) and a mention of Priority Two driving.

There is also COSO 7, which details driving CFS vehicles (not emergency driving) and talks about wearing seatbelts, training, licensing, vehicle logs, purchase of fuel, reversing, use of mobile phones and towing.

I'd suggest that anyone who drives a CFS appliance, and any one who is likely to be an OIC of an appliance should be familiar with both of these COSO's

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Jimmy_91

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Southern Yorke CFS Group
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2008, 10:15:45 AM »
....TTC cannot override the ARR's stick with the COSO's :roll: 

I loooooove the use of acronyms (not)....please explain in laymans language   :-o

Here you go bajdas  :-D

TTC - Transport Training Centre
ARR - Australian Road Rules
COSO - Chief Officer's Standing Orders
Stewart Germaine
Minlaton CFS

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2008, 10:51:51 AM »

Read COSO 8 Priority One Driving.

The only time lights and sirens MUST be used is when approaching intersections with a stop sign or traffic signals.

TTC cannot override the ARR's stick with the COSO's :roll: 

I would imagine if you are breaching the road laws to comply with emergency response driving conditions you would also have to operate ligths and or sirens?.. Not *just* when approaching intersections..

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2008, 11:10:54 AM »
Not under the ARR...but under the COSO is states that when approaching traffic signals and stop signs, on Priority one, you will have both visual & audible warning devices operating.....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2008, 03:20:42 PM »
POST DELETED

i should read all post be for adding to them

« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 03:26:46 PM by Firey9119 »
Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)