Author Topic: New Burnside Pumper  (Read 189399 times)

Offline fireblade

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Burnside Pumper
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2007, 08:57:09 PM »
I think you just smacked the nail on the head 5271rescue. Plus i do a bit of travel around the country and us CFS lads do well for such a small state in regards to the appliances volunteer fire fighters get. :-D

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2007, 09:13:21 PM »
well i think that is exactly it. if they have the cash buy a white Scania.
no offense to Burnside but when Norwood MFS is built they will lose so much space and a large chunk of bargaining power that they should grab what they can now.

uniden

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2007, 09:25:46 PM »
You mean Beulah Park MFS. That wont make a great deal of difference to Burnside anyway. Most of Burnsides area is the foothills and freeway anyway. That shouldnt change. They will continue to support MFS at large jobs and for coq due to their strategic location and proximity to the city.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2007, 02:38:53 AM »
Beulah Pk MFS slab is being poured this week.New station is on The Parade east of Portrush Road :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline fireblade

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2007, 04:55:27 PM »
Imagine if corporate CFS gave into them and let them have some special truck i'm sure other brigades that interface with the metro area and do the same sort of COQ jobs and responding with MFS and are more busier than Burnside would be livered. Just look at Region 2-Saisbury, Dalkeith and Tea Tree Gully all busier than Burnside and not jumping up and down for a special appliance. I imagine brigade south of Burnside are busier to.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 12:10:00 AM »
Imagine if corporate CFS gave into them and let them have some special truck i'm sure other brigades that interface with the metro area and do the same sort of COQ jobs and responding with MFS and are more busier than Burnside would be livered. Just look at Region 2-Saisbury, Dalkeith and Tea Tree Gully all busier than Burnside and not jumping up and down for a special appliance. I imagine brigade south of Burnside are busier to.

The point I was trying to make in my earlier post is that if Burnside do get a good truck, then when appliances come up for replacement in other urban brigades, they too can get a good truck like Burnside's.  It'll actually be good for them, not bad.  Other urban brigades should be supporting the fight, not complaining that Bursnide doesn't deserve a good truck...

I don't know the reasons why Burnside don't want a Type 2, but their appliance replacement group know their pumpers very, very well, and if they don't want it, there'll be a good reason.  (I think the rear mounted pump was one of the reasons though).

Offline fireblade

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 04:10:30 AM »
I think you are missing the point CFS_Firey was not slinging mud at you or Burnside just stating some facts, myself and many others have stated nothing wrong with the new CFS pumpers and a lot of the metro fringe brigades currently do it with 24P's and soon the new 34P's. Everyone should have the same for a standardised fleet which is what the service is trying to achieve. Many reasons for this which i shouldn't need to state.

Plus corporate CFS do speak to brigades about wants and needs of Appliances hence Dalkeiths prototype 34P, Tea Tree Gully's new 14 CAFS prototype plus other brigades with prototypes. CFS has not got an open ended budget and runs a huge fleet compared to other services so you have to keep the appliances realistic, otherwise the cost of a single appliance would be greater and their would be less turn overs of applainces.So brigades would be running with the same appliance longer.

In closing the service has come a long way since i joined 15 years ago when there was appliances of many diffrent builds and rear entry numbers.  :-D

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2007, 07:52:48 AM »
No point in urban brigade's supporting what they want as the group will override that or make it hard for a brigade to get what that brigade wants..was it not the group who did not want eden hills to have a type two pumper????
blinky bill
my view only

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2007, 10:05:37 AM »
how about we just put a bigger pump on 34ps.  :|

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2007, 05:44:20 PM »
Not being a pump wizz i couldnt give you the proper answer but i would imagine 1900lpm is probaly the most you will get from a motor driven pump.  If you want more you will need to look at PTO pumps.  But thats just me guessing.

As for Burnside wanting more then a type 2.....i know people say lets support them so the rest can get better in the future but seriously who is up for a new pumper in the next 5 years?  Cos in 5 years everything will have changed again and what Burnside have achieved will be redundant, in a way.

And also how can the type 2 not be sufficient?  Pretty sure NSWFB & CFA use the same truck and serves them just fine with probaly bigger cities then what SA have.
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2007, 07:11:09 AM »
well said camo, so come on burnside play the game and take the type two or better still tell us all why you dont wont the the type 2?? I know a few brigade's who do over 200+ cals who would love to have the type 2 in their station...
blinky bill
my view only

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2007, 01:22:29 PM »
I do beleive someone from burnside has already told us why they don't want the type 2 in another thread.

I agree with them and hope they see it through, the only reason other brigades have accepted the type 2 is because they thought that was as good as they could get and didn't have the man power to research the right truck or they were brigades that just had to grab whatever pumper they could get their hands on because the trucks they had were way under equiped. Burnside has a truck that can still do the job while they aim to get what they need.

And no i don't think the type 2 is suitable for the CFS.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2007, 01:30:16 PM »
Both those attutides are good, we all know Burnside are a passionate brigade and personally I think it is good to see some real interest in new trucks coming out. Unlike some members that i have spoken to and know absolutely nothing about the future or anything outside of their brigade. 

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2007, 03:03:05 PM »
And no i don't think the type 2 is suitable for the CFS.

I think that is fine for you to say that comment, your more than entitled too.

But no one yet has said why the Type 2's are not suitable for the CFS.

Like i said before NSW & VIC both use these appliances and seem to be more then happy with them, so why not Burnside?
Compton CFS Website

pumprescue

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2007, 06:49:01 PM »
Blinky, what would have happened if Naracoorte got told they weren't going to have a stand alone rescue, and to stick the RCR and Hazmat gear on a 34P or a the pumper, would you have taken that advice and gone, no worries, I doubt it, so why are Burnside any different. They can onyl try, it just so happens they have a bit more bargaining power than most, or is that balls.....

uniden

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2007, 07:23:18 PM »
Yeah that brigade you mentioned have a lot of power and influence. That is why they are the only urban brigade in the state that is driving around in a 25 year old appliance..lol.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2007, 08:22:56 PM »
Blinky, what would have happened if Naracoorte got told they weren't going to have a stand alone rescue, and to stick the RCR and Hazmat gear on a 34P or a the pumper, would you have taken that advice and gone, no worries, I doubt it, so why are Burnside any different. They can onyl try, it just so happens they have a bit more bargaining power than most, or is that balls.....

Hmm...My feeling is they are two seperate things....

Burnside have been offered a type 2 that is more than adequate but they want more.

A stand alone rescue compared to rescue shoved onto an appliance where it doesnt fit properly isnt adequate.  In Naracoortes Case anyway.
Compton CFS Website

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2007, 09:34:43 PM »
good to see that living in compton (??) and knowing what is required there is the same as knowing what is required in metropolitan adelaide....

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2007, 09:50:54 PM »
good to see that living in compton (??) and knowing what is required there is the same as knowing what is required in metropolitan adelaide....

Settle petal  :-P

Offline Stefan KIRKMOE

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2007, 02:55:47 AM »
I wish to thank those brigades who are giving ongoing support to Burnside. To those individuals that wish to nothing but rubbish the hopes, dreams and current technology Burnside are fighting for to enhance that available to all volunteers your words have been taken on board and greatly not appreciated. We are all volunteers out there fighting for improved conditions and supporting each other. I do not wish to discuss the ins and outs in relation to our replacement appliance on such a public forum. If anyone wishes to discuss matters in more depth do not hesitate to contact me offline at [email protected] also station / appliance tours can be organised.

Regards
Stefam KIRKMOE
Senior Firefighter
Burnside Brigade

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2007, 05:44:37 AM »
Im not saying im correct but it would seem no one can tell me why a type 2 isnt good enough.  Ill gladly apologise and support Burnside if they can tell me why they have decided to go this way.

And having said that i do support Burnside and any brigade around the state that wishes to improve the quality of service the CFS provides but i would also like to know why.
Compton CFS Website

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2007, 12:42:06 PM »
I personally think the type 2 is not adequete because there are no areas in CFS that are just Flat Urban Stuff. Most of Vic is fairly flat. I would like to see an appliance with more ground clearence made, maybe a mercedes Atego. Another big thing is only one hose reel, CFS have always had 2 reels and do not have 38mm wajax fittings to make using flaked 38mm hose easy like in Vic and NSW.

I think more of a pumper tanker style appliance is the way to go maybe even with dual rear axle, One in each urban group that can do massive asset protection and can also deal with building fires, mvas etc. Also a better pump and roll system is needed with a spray bar and fire curtains. I also have no idea why CFS have gone away from Roof monitors as we seem to be getting less and less crew so a remote roof monitor could well save an exposure at a building fire. Another reason a pumper tanker would be good is you could have 4000L of water for use in areas with no mains water which there is alot of.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2007, 04:44:27 PM »
Our stand alone rescue is not the issue here and one that should not come into this topic,we dont have back up RCR or HAZMAT brigade around the corner...If burnside get what they want then so be it..It just makes it hard when CFS are trying to finally have pumpers that are standard across the state.As for the comment that a type two is only good on flat ground urban areas well mate you have it wrong..NSW have type 2 pumpers in the BLUE MOUNTAINS and is there not one at eden hills??? Lat time I checked and not so long ago they where all going well in the hills...
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Pixie

• Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2007, 04:49:20 PM »
The main thing i have againt the type two's is the fact that they only have one REAR MOUNTED hose reel. Even the Dennis has two... the other thing i dislike is the fact the the pumps are completly electronicaly controlled, and the positioning of the inlets/outlets. Midmount pumps are much better suited in urban pumpers IMO!! It woul also be nice if CFS chose a cab that could house BA seats, as they make the donning up process much, much quicker!! I understand that the reason for not implementing half of these features/functions is $$$, but what is the price of a life??? If someone dies in a burning car because you only had 1 HP line that you could use imediatly instead of two, the cost of all  cfs urban pumpers having two HP lines is well and truly justified.

JUST MY OPINION!!!

Pixie
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2007, 04:56:19 PM »
Thats it all comes down to money and lets face it CFS does not have enough to replace its fleet that in some cases in need of replacing. TWO H/P lines are good rear mounted pumps where installed as they are easier to service or replace the pump if it dose not work... What ever Burnside get will be there baby,maybe they will get a type 2 body on a scania????
blinky bill
my view only

anything