Author Topic: New Burnside Pumper  (Read 189312 times)

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Burnside Pumper
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2007, 10:16:36 AM »
You could run out a shortline of 38mm hose for protection...the thing is we all need to look at changing the way we do things and with new appliances coming out I am sure that we all wll have to have a re think.i guess we could ask eden hills,nuri or millicent how they feel with only one hp line but I would say that it does the job.
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Gilly

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2007, 09:40:26 PM »
Another issue to think about with 38's is, especially with trees etc in the path of most hill faces around adelaide is the couplings being so massive. I challenge someone to drag a 38 through a house or up a tree covered hill without having to double back repeatedly to unhook couplings fromm objects. It may be quick to deploy, but is more awkward in action. HP lines have smooth profiled couplings and are more flexible when charged.
 Also make up time is significantly increased with lay-flat hose. This is not only wasting time (especially with work to get back to for volunteers) but also for mobility on the job. If a rapid change in location is required, and you have 4 lengths of 38 out, they have to be left and run the risk of being burn't, lost, and the appliance may run out of hose later. It takes less than 2-3 min's to make up a full 90m of hp line.
Yes they may be expensive initially, but in the big picture, lay flat does not have the endurance of HP line, nor does it have the mobility and ease of operation often required in the foothills or structures.
As for 2 lines, i have been on countless jobs where having 2 hp lines was absolutely vital, and a 38 would have been heavy and unsuitable.
I think the cost cutting of having one HP (not even - most are 25mm low pressure attack lines!) is wasting money and time in the long run.

Offline Stefan KIRKMOE

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2007, 10:31:37 AM »
To carry another "short length" of 38mm hose.... then the appliance would eventually turn into "hose carrier". At the end of the day if we have to carry more and more lengths of hose to compensate for just making up in the first place there won't be room fo BA, RCR and full stowage kit etc. At the end of the day being able to rapidly deploy, make up and redeploy time and time again is something important. As for having 2 lines my understanding it's part of the CFS "Asset Protection" (not sure of the complete name for it) training package. When i get time i'll look up the correct name.

uniden

« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2007, 10:46:27 AM »
2 HP lines is absolutely vital. Many of the Pumpers that were built in the 80`s also had a short 5 or so metre rubber protection line for the protection of the appliance when the main lines were a long way from the appliance. This is a concept I think should also be looked at in the future designs.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2007, 09:38:54 PM »
The only way that I can see you getting two HP lines is to have a mid mount pump with 2000lt water and 100lt of a or b class foam rear hose lockers but then again its not up to us its up to the state committee
blinky bill
my view only

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2007, 09:54:53 PM »
The only way that I can see you getting two HP lines is to have a mid mount pump with 2000lt water and 100lt of a or b class foam rear hose lockers but then again its not up to us its up to the state committee

Hmmm that sounds like what brigades use to purpose build for themselves anyway in the past but alas along came the plastic fantastics.

CFS wont be buying Scanias with two HP reels and midmount pumps anytime soon though Bill :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2007, 02:00:17 PM »
Heard there's some movement around about this appliance...

Apparently Scania Cab Chassis, Rear Mount Rosenbauer 750 GPM PTO Pump and 3 HP lines (2 mid mount & 1 rear)

Can anyone shed some light?
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

rescue5271

« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2007, 08:53:29 PM »
3HP lines?????

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2007, 09:01:59 PM »
Maybe more like what they want than what they are going to get?
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2007, 11:24:56 PM »
Why on earth would you want three HP lines on an urban pumper :?
Images are copyright

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2007, 12:43:04 PM »
Um So you don't need to carry any other hose?? sounds a bit to crank :roll:

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2007, 01:13:24 PM »
yeh....would be good to have 3 during Asset Protection....be able to quickly move places, instead of trying to haul a 38 line onto ur Rack/Crew Deck.

"12:58:26   03-08-07   VEHICLE REPLACEMENT MEETING WEDNESDAY 8TH AT 1930 HOURS AT STATION TO DISCUSS DRAFT FROM SANDY FROM CRAIG CFS Burnside Info"

Interesting!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 01:34:08 PM by Dezza »

Offline Stefan KIRKMOE

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2007, 01:37:20 PM »
Sorry to disappoint all but you can keep up the good stories about 3HP lines and all the rest for that fact as at this stage they are only stories and no truth to any of it.... Sorry to disappoint!  :-)

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2007, 03:26:29 PM »
Can you shed any light Stefan? 
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

rescue5271

« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2007, 04:43:33 PM »
There are getting a truck but  who really knows??????

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2007, 08:09:46 PM »
Get what you are given a Type 2 aint that bad :lol:
Images are copyright

rescue5271

« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2007, 11:16:22 AM »
Just give them a type two why are they so specail anyway????

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
A brigade is finally fighting for what they think they need to appropriately cover their area, and all people can do is whinge and criticise..?

rescue5271

« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2007, 03:23:04 PM »
They where offered a type two pumper what was wrong with that???

Offline Stefan KIRKMOE

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2007, 06:52:54 PM »
Burnside are currently still in consultation with Staff etc in relation to this matter. No further to report at the moment, it's not that i don't want to it's just still ongoing as you have seen as per the recent page...

As for the "Just take a type 2 comments"... Lets just get over all this crap, we have been through it all before and it's getting old now.

Stefan KIRKMOE
My views only.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2007, 06:55:20 PM »
As for the "Just take a type 2 comments"... Lets just get over all this crap, we have been through it all before and it's getting old now.
Well said.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2007, 07:36:43 PM »
Burnside are currently still in consultation with Staff etc in relation to this matter. No further to report at the moment, it's not that i don't want to it's just still ongoing as you have seen as per the recent page...

Stefan KIRKMOE
My views only.

Agree..

Offline fireblade

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2007, 11:38:07 AM »
Damn you guys still talking about Burnside Pumper. It's easy they'll get a Type 2 or what they want, then the rest of the CFS urban fringe brigades that are busier than Burnside will be putting their hands up for one. I can see it now.

I think we should leave this topic alone and basically watch this space as nothing moves rapidly when CFS HQ has got their hands on it. :-D

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2007, 01:09:14 PM »
No one had said a thing for nearly 2 months blade...   ???

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2007, 02:43:33 PM »
This root of the problem still remains that CFS do not make, or purchase any decent Urban Pumpers. The type 2 are ok... but really nothing special. They are still a commercial truck with a firetruck rear end thrown on.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...