Author Topic: New Burnside Pumper  (Read 189541 times)

pumprescue

Re: Burnside Pumper
« Reply #275 on: August 16, 2008, 08:57:40 AM »
So Eden Hills keep tweaking it up a little to all of a sudden have 3 large appliances, interesting, will watch this develpment with interest.

rescue5271

« Reply #276 on: August 16, 2008, 09:02:56 AM »
Nice to see that state is help all brigade's with new appliances......NOT..... one would hope if it is a CAFS that it does not have the same problems as the blackwood Lemon..... If its the HINO sitting in the MFS workshop mmmmm will it fit down the streets that they where having problems getting into???

I am looking forward to seeing the Burnside pumper once it gets here....

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 16, 2008, 09:16:38 AM »
Your especially sour today Bill...  :roll:

Have to say mate, in my opinion Blackwood 24 is not a lemon, sure it had a couple of teething problems, but has been sorted and is a great appliance, i would take it over any standard CFS build any day {except perhaps a type2)..

Minus the CAFS to cut costs and i think it would make a great standard 24 appliance.

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 16, 2008, 10:15:40 AM »
BWD 24 CAFS was cheaper than the standard 24 and that included the CAFS side of things.
I would take Blackwood's truck over any of the 24 or 34 around.
Not sure why CFS did not stay with that design.
Good on the brigades like Burnside, Blackwood & Eden Hills ( plus another 2 brigades which have a few things in the pipeline) for pushing for better trucks.

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 16, 2008, 10:17:49 AM »
BWD 24 CAFS was cheaper than the standard 24 and that included the CAFS side of things.

Well there ya go.... just shows the craziness.

pumprescue

« Reply #280 on: August 16, 2008, 06:13:30 PM »
Cheaper than a 24, so it was less than $250,000 ?

Offline Master of Disaster

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 16, 2008, 08:52:11 PM »
Hmm other brigades just sit and suffer :roll: :roll:

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 17, 2008, 12:28:18 AM »
So we open up the can of worms of the brigade owned appliances. This then starts the old rich vs. poor brigade issue too. I see no issue with a brigade customising an appliance and equipment if it fits within their SFEC, but you don't want to see it turning into and open slather truck purchasing extravaganza.

Countdown until we see that 30 call a year brigade with Heavy Pumpers, Brontos and Heavy Rescues (with USAR stowage!)
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline calspec

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 17, 2008, 03:00:03 AM »
They would be known as "Retained MFS"

:-D :-D :wink:

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 17, 2008, 12:06:59 PM »
I don;t think you have to worry to much numbers.

a) brigades like Burnside who can justify what they are getting. Due to a large population base and hence development have a hard enough time getting the money form their fund raising. so a brigade that does thirty calls probably wont have the ability to raise the money.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 17, 2008, 12:37:10 PM »
I don;t think you have to worry to much numbers.

a) brigades like Burnside who can justify what they are getting. Due to a large population base and hence development have a hard enough time getting the money form their fund raising. so a brigade that does thirty calls probably wont have the ability to raise the money.

Don't worry, it was tongue in cheek.

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 18, 2008, 03:06:32 AM »
Or CFS have just allowed the biggest can of worms to be opened. If a brigade doesn't like what CFS is going to give them, they can go out and fundraise like filtered to get the cash they need to buy what the think they should have.

The can of worms was always open.

CFS tried to close it - Don MacArthur's CFA 24's were our first ever standard
appliance, & they are only 20 years old.

CFS failed.

Deal with it.

cheers
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

pumprescue

« Reply #287 on: August 18, 2008, 03:35:36 PM »
Good on the brigades like Burnside, Blackwood & Eden Hills ( plus another 2 brigades which have a few things in the pipeline) for pushing for better trucks.

INFO:CREW REQUIRED TONIGHT AT 1630HRS TO STOW OUR NEW 34 APPLIANCE. BWD CPT

Is this the same Blackwood 24CAFS that is currently throwing inlets and outlets at its crew......I am guessing the materials and quality was the reason it was so cheap  !!  :roll:

rescue5271

« Reply #288 on: August 18, 2008, 04:48:15 PM »
MMM New 34 or one of the spare's that are around at the moment???

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 20, 2008, 09:35:27 AM »
Food for thought, a Hino 24 back in 1990 cost $90,000 to purchase, when they were standard.
Images are copyright

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 20, 2008, 09:41:42 AM »
At the end of the day, the brigades that have these custom appliances, or brigade built, have put in the hard yards. The people whinging because they don't have them, have just sat there and complained about those brigades that have done something about it.

Burnside, good work, the appliance looks a treat!..

Offline whiteknight

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 02, 2009, 02:27:09 PM »
The main thing i have againt the type two's is the fact that they only have one REAR MOUNTED hose reel. Even the Dennis has two... the other thing i dislike is the fact the the pumps are completly electronicaly controlled, and the positioning of the inlets/outlets. Midmount pumps are much better suited in urban pumpers IMO!! It woul also be nice if CFS chose a cab that could house BA seats, as they make the donning up process much, much quicker!! I understand that the reason for not implementing half of these features/functions is $$$, but what is the price of a life??? If someone dies in a burning car because you only had 1 HP line that you could use imediatly instead of two, the cost of all  cfs urban pumpers having two HP lines is well and truly justified.

Pixie

Well nobody has died in a burning car in VIC or NSW because the Isuzu/Rosenbauer pumper 'only' has one HP hose reel. Obviously, if you need more water on a fire you use a 38mm, or a 64mm if the 38mm is insufficient.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 02:33:16 PM by whiteknight »

Offline BlackDog

• Forum Firefighter
  • Dry Country Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 02, 2009, 08:00:05 PM »

Countdown until we see that 30 call a year brigade with Heavy Pumpers, Brontos and Heavy Rescues (with USAR stowage!)

<cue sepulchral voice> "But if it saves just one life........"
Progress requires change, but not all change is progress.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 03, 2009, 06:09:21 AM »
The main thing i have againt the type two's is the fact that they only have one REAR MOUNTED hose reel. Even the Dennis has two... the other thing i dislike is the fact the the pumps are completly electronicaly controlled, and the positioning of the inlets/outlets. Midmount pumps are much better suited in urban pumpers IMO!! It woul also be nice if CFS chose a cab that could house BA seats, as they make the donning up process much, much quicker!! I understand that the reason for not implementing half of these features/functions is $$$, but what is the price of a life??? If someone dies in a burning car because you only had 1 HP line that you could use imediatly instead of two, the cost of all  cfs urban pumpers having two HP lines is well and truly justified.

Pixie

Well nobody has died in a burning car in VIC or NSW because the Isuzu/Rosenbauer pumper 'only' has one HP hose reel. Obviously, if you need more water on a fire you use a 38mm, or a 64mm if the 38mm is insufficient.

What do you want a second HP line for? If you need water and multiple lines, you have plenty of hose already on the truck. Stop being a lazy firie who just wants to pull the hosereel off. Whats wrong with the position of the collectors/deliveries? They are far better placed than on a typical mid mount that has them split over two sides. Everything is brought into a central point that makes it far easier for the pump operator to keep an eye on and his feet on the supply lines.

Trust me, if someone dies in a car fire and your argument is "We only needed one more HP line" Then you should be kicked out for sheer incompetence and I'd wager they were well and truely gone no matter what happened.

"SACFS: Building appliances on incompetence and ingnorance since the dawn of time"

misterteddy

« Reply #294 on: February 03, 2009, 06:23:55 AM »
oh yeah....Burnside Pumper, thats right thats what we're talking about.

Had my first look at the photos the other day. Looks a tidy appliance (apart from thate silly side checker striping). Look forward to seeing it on the run.

All I'll add is that if some Brigades and Groups don't push the envelope (and the CFS) in appliance design and features then we'd still be running around in plastic 24s. Lots of design features in the current 34 and 34P appliances are the result of fitouts that were done on the various proof of concept appliances that are around.

Well done Burnside, looks good

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 03, 2009, 10:55:44 AM »
I had a look at http://www.fire-brigade.asn.au/Appliance_Display.asp?Service_Code=SACFS&Station_Code=BURN and the last update is 17th December 2008.

Is that the new Burnside pumper or old in the picture ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 03, 2009, 11:02:14 AM »
that would be the old girl.....i hope :-)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 03, 2009, 11:08:22 AM »
yeah that is the old one.

Offline whiteknight

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 03, 2009, 03:43:34 PM »
Any details of the pump fitted to the new Burnside Pumper, also who are the builders?

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 04, 2009, 12:25:34 PM »
Liquip are doing the build, cant remember the pump details.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

anything