Author Topic: moving to adelaide  (Read 2050 times)

Offline uk firefighter

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
moving to adelaide
« on: December 31, 2006, 11:02:32 PM »
hello  there people im currently serving with durham fire and rescue in england and  planning to come  adelaide next year  to live with my wife as she a nurse and our 2 children, do i have any chance of carrying on being a firefighter in adelaide and is a problem of me being a part time one .please email me at [email protected]

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: moving to adelaide
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 12:16:06 AM »
That all depends on whetsher you want to be a paid fire fighter or an unpaid volunteer....

In the closer in Adelaide metro areas, it is covered by the Metropolitan Fire Service (MFS), which is a fully paid, full time service.  This service has quite stringent recruitment policies, with limited intakes...I don't know if they have any exchange policies with overseas services.  They have a website at www.samfs.sa.gov.au  which might help with some contact details.

The SA Country Fire Service (CFS) is a fully volunteer service (our volunteers do not get paid anything), which covers the outer metro areas, (in some cases, only 10 - 15 minutes drive out of the centre of Adelaide), and the bulk of the country areas of the state.  The CFS doesn't generally have as stringent recruitment policies as the MFS.  For more information about CFS brigades, go to www.fire-brigade.asn.au

As for part time work as a fire fighter, the only fire fighting work would be either with the MFS in country towns, where they have a retained system (eg paid for training & to attend calls), or as part of the Department of Environment & Heritage (DEH) as a bush fire fighter in the summer season, dealing with bushfires in National Parks and nearby areas.  These positions are generally advertised prior to  the fire season...although they have advertised some positions recently (at the start of our summer).

I hope this helps to explain a bit about our system in SA.

Coming to Adelaide, you are definitely coming to a fantastic place.  :-)   :-D

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Re: moving to adelaide
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 07:53:01 AM »
You may be able to do a cross entry with the CFA or the NSWFB as these service do exchange programs not to sure about the SAMFS,but you wife would be able to get work as there is a big shortage of nurses in this country all the best.
blinky bill
my view only