Author Topic: DEATH OF A FIREFIGHTER  (Read 8033 times)

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
DEATH OF A FIREFIGHTER
« on: December 16, 2006, 11:24:46 AM »
I would like to express my deepest condolence's to the members of the LONFORD CFA and to FIREFIGHTER DONALD DOSSER family on the  loss of his life while helping to protect a friends house at coopers creek in gippsland. Words can not describe the pain and suffering that these members are going through and knowing that someone went out of their way and started this fire.
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Ryan

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: DEATH OF A FIREFIGHTER
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 11:27:36 AM »
WHat exactly happened

Fell off the back of a trailer and run over by a truck?

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 02:11:16 PM »
Deepest sympathy to his family and friends.. I hope all the other fire fighters and various agencies working the fires remain safe over the fire season.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 03:44:28 PM »
From what I know he fell from a trailer and was hit by another truck not sure if it was a fire appliances...I guess we just wait and see what comes out from CFA....Just in on the wire 6 NZ firefighters have been taken to hospital 4 with burns are on there way to the the burns unit at the ALFRED HOSPITAL.
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 03:57:10 PM »
I cant really comment myself but from what i read in the Herald Sun newspaper this morning he was on the back of a trailer that was being towed by a ute when the accident happened
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 04:18:35 PM »
From what I know he fell from a trailer and was hit by another truck not sure if it was a fire appliances...I guess we just wait and see what comes out from CFA....Just in on the wire 6 NZ firefighters have been taken to hospital 4 with burns are on there way to the the burns unit at the ALFRED HOSPITAL.

This is sad news from the Yahoo 7 web news

Saturday December 16, 04:57 PM
NZ firefighters hurt in Victoria blaze
A number of New Zealand firefighters have been injured while battling blazes on campsites north of Melbourne.

A Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) spokesman said the men were taken to Mansfield Hospital following "the incident" which occurred about 2.30pm (AEDT) Saturday.

The firefighters were battling a blaze at the Tobacco Flat campsites near Sheepyard Flat in the Mansfield area.

He could not provide further details of how many firefighters were hurt or the extent of their injuries.

Rural Ambulance spokesman John Mullen said six firefighters had been caught in a burn-over.

"As a result one has critical burns," Mr Mullen said.

Four of the firefighters suffered burns and smoke inhalation while another suffered smoke inhalation.

All six were airlifted out of the region then taken by road to Mansfield Hospital.

The critically injured man is expected to be airlifted to Melbourne.

Get well soon fellas :-(
Images are copyright

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 04:42:14 PM »
Sounds like the New Zealand Fire Services might have to consider introducing compulsory Burn Over Training for their brigades  :| :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 04:46:14 PM »
These fires have been taking a toll over there and there is rumour we might be going to assist....be prepared
Images are copyright

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 04:49:47 PM »
Just as much as i wanna go interstate to assist im gonna stay in South Australia incase anything happens here after all we gotta have people left in SA to man the fort  :wink:
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline calspec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 04:52:32 PM »
Well, things have settled down a little on this side of the fence (touch a really big piece of wood), while over there, there are a lot of buggered firefighters.  So it would seem logical.  But yes keep some crews ready locally.

Why not just supply personell, utilising equipment already on scene to give the current ff's a break.  No real need to deplete our own existing resources.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 05:56:50 PM »
Im pretty sure thats all that would happen.

And Robert have you done your Burnover training yet?
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 07:44:10 PM »

Nah Camo i've been having trouble getting in contact with the brigade captain  :-) unless your offering me the chance to do burn over training with your brigade in that case i gladly accept your offer  :wink: :-D
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 08:26:21 PM »
I dont know that we could fit you into our busy schedule.  We have a BBQ on wednesday night, will be hard to fit anything else in! :-D
Compton CFS Website

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 10:48:01 PM »
As I understand it, CFA don't fit the roll down curtains to their single cab appliances  - even new ones.....

While they curtains are not the be all & end all of fire protection, it certainly gives you something.  I don't know what went on today with the burn over, but it certainly makes you think.

My thoughts go to the families and friends of the fire fighter killed, and also to the injured fire fighters, and their families.

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 05:13:59 AM »
It is a sad time and one that I am sure will be looked into by bothe the DSE and CFA,I did ask the other day about us going and got the same answer  NO but that may have changed over the weekend as there is nothing large going on over here and from what I asked if we did go we would use CFA appliances that are alreday in the area.
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006, 09:27:24 AM »
As I understand it, CFA don't fit the roll down curtains to their single cab appliances  - even new ones.....

While they curtains are not the be all & end all of fire protection, it certainly gives you something.  I don't know what went on today with the burn over, but it certainly makes you think.

My thoughts go to the families and friends of the fire fighter killed, and also to the injured fire fighters, and their families.

Pip

From what i have read they were on foot away from appliances.
Compton CFS Website

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2006, 11:21:00 AM »

I was waiting for that one Camo it was only a matter of time  :lol:

Come on Robert that was put to you weeks ago on this forum  :evil:

You dont need the Captain to do it,that is what training officers are for and they can sign you off as having done it so it goes on TAS.

I think everyone in the Doo needs to get off their filtered and do it NOW :-o
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 09:02:59 PM by SA Firey »
Images are copyright

Offline Crankster 34

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2006, 12:56:51 PM »
Can't really see them offering to send any CFS crews away this week with hot weather forecast until at least Friday, then you have Xmas so I doubt they would be volunteering to send us anywhere then as well.

It would be at least Boxing day I reckon before CFS crews went anywhere, but with the shortage of crews available for local strike teams I think CFS would be seriously questioning our ability to go anywhere else.

Also looks like things have settled down a bit over there now, hopefully they can get on top of things a bit before more hot weather hits.
Crankster on scene, you can take a stop...

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2006, 09:04:55 PM »
The sad thing about the nine NZ firies that got injured is that it was the result of a backburning operation :-(
Images are copyright