Author Topic: medium rare please  (Read 3149 times)

PF_

medium rare please
« on: January 21, 2006, 04:54:24 PM »
I know, its a horrible title (my appologies) :oops:

How scary must it have been for thea firefighter in Chicago (I think thats hwere it was) when the roof collapsed and the fire just shot right up at him while he was on the ladder.  As they said on the news he was like a "marshmellow on a stick."  Thankfully he only got away with a slightly burnt ear. :-o
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 09:18:09 PM by P_F »

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: medium rare please
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 09:04:42 PM »
Why would you put youself it that postion at a going fire

rescue5271

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 06:57:28 AM »
No wonder the yanks lose so many firefighter like that but worse still why did the aerial not turn on its water spray to protect him?????

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 08:52:12 AM »
I was very surprised he did not have a B.A set on and a flash hood, at least that would protect his face. :|

strikeathird

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 11:02:45 AM »
I dont think he was even wearing gloves !!   And yes, was extremely surprised the bucket crew only a few feet away didnt use any water....   Stunned maybe ?

Yanks lose more firefighters a year than what S.A recruits !!  (Paid service that is)

PF_

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 11:35:55 AM »
I thought they did put water up there.  At least someone did if it wasnt the bucket along side him. 

Have been reading a book by Gary McKay called "Firefighters" its about the Queensland Fire and Rescue service, very good and interesting read.  Anyway enough plugging, it says that since 1877 38 Firefighters have been killed in Queensland.  thats about an average of 3 a year.  (bearing in mind more would have been killed in the early days when safety was not as good.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 09:54:05 PM by P_F »

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 10:34:53 AM »
"Firefighters" its about the Queensland Fire and Rescue service,....., it says that since 1877 38 Firefighters have been killed in Queensland.  thats about an average of 3 a year. 

Actually that's an average of one every 3 1/2 years!

Queensland did loose a fire fighter to a heart attack last year following a structure fire and two many years ago in a tragic motor cycle shop fire, however when you look at the nature of the job 37 in 129 years .......

We should not forget, CFS has also lost a number of fire fighters in the past 30 od years and when you look at the memorial service the Tower brigade runs and the memorial board that CFS has we are not allot better.

I think this serves as a timely reminder, we are all doing one of the most hazardous jobs there is, we have all seen people not wearing appropriate PPE, or doing stupid things, or using equipment incorrectly.

Look at the fire fighter value - safety and teamwork, we should all take the responsibility of ensuring if we see something wrong to address it and have it fixed, there is only a split second between stupidity and an accident - the onus is on us all to stay safe and watch out for our fellow fire fighters and learn from other mistakes and misfortunes.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

PF_

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 10:43:03 AM »
"Firefighters" its about the Queensland Fire and Rescue service,....., it says that since 1877 38 Firefighters have been killed in Queensland.  thats about an average of 3 a year. 

Actually that's an average of one every 3 1/2 years!

yeah, miscalculated :oops:

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 06:29:15 PM »
13 since '79

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 12:55:17 PM »
Missouri Firefighters Talk About Falling Through Floor

One of the firefighters who fell through a floor while battling a house fire early Tuesday morning was on his last day on the job, and the other firefighter was on his first, KMBC's Natalie Moultrie reported.

"As I was falling, I remember saying, 'I can't believe I'm going to die on my last shift on the truck," Capt. Joe Lay said.

"I couldn't believe it -- my first day on the job, and I'm falling through the floor of a residential house. It was just something else," firefighter Kyle Stevens said.

The two men can smile about it now, but early Tuesday morning on East Lexington Avenue, they thought they were facing death. Lay and Stevens fell through the kitchen floor, eight feet down to the fiery basement.

"It was really, really scary. I can't put it in words -- the floor started to go. I can't describe the feeling, going into basement where fire had been. It was just very, very scary," Stevens said.

"As I hit the floor, I realized I was still alive, but then we were surrounded by fire. At that point, it really was scary," Lay said.

Other firefighters at the scene thought their captain and the new recruit were dead.

"As much yelling as I heard, I thought they were being cooked alive -- and that's the worst feeling in the world," fire equipment operator Michael Cangelosi said.

Moultrie reported that despite the fear and chaos, the crew's training kicked in. Within minutes, they had pulled Lay and Stevens out of the fire through a tiny basement window.

"Never had anything like this happen before -- probably most intense three minutes of my life," Lay said.

"I'm just really happy Capt. Joe Lay ... was there with me, because if he hadn't been with me, I really don't know where I would've been or how I would've escaped," Stevens said.

"I just think it's a miracle that they're unscathed," Cangelosi said.

Neither firefighter was hurt in the fall. Lay is now a battalion chief and new recruit Stevens said he's ready to fight his next fire.

anything