Author Topic: Stirling North response to Woomera  (Read 9532 times)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Stirling North response to Woomera
« on: January 08, 2007, 03:28:41 PM »
This would be a long drive:-

15:33:00 08-01-07 SHQ: CFSRES STIRLING NORTH RESPOND MVA, STUART HWY, MONALENA - 70 KMS FROM WOOMERA - NO CREW AT WOOMERA < 08/01/2007 15:32:49

I know that many farming and northern communities do not have many people about at this time of the year.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Stirling North response to Woomera
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 05:27:58 PM »
What about the Woomera Emergency Services crew?

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 10:14:38 PM »
They were probably all on the Ambulances...   :wink:

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 10:38:52 PM »
What about the Woomera Emergency Services crew?

One is in Adelaide at present :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 04:45:41 PM »
Must be low on numbers up there
blinky bill
my view only

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 04:55:39 PM »
Aren't they fulltime paid?

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 10:34:22 PM »

Paid crew cant leave the town limits :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 07:19:39 AM »
Is that a new rule? I was up there a few years back and they responded under agreement to the highway for quite long distances.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 09:14:24 AM »

which "they"?  there's Woomera CFS and also Woomera Emergency Services (WES) who are fulltime paid staff run by BAE Systems (who have the Woomera support contract): http://www.fire-brigade.asn.au/Station_Display.asp?Service_Code=SAWES&Station_Code=SAWES

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 09:50:07 PM »
WES is paid and can only respond outside town limits if its a life threat situation.
Images are copyright

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
"No crew at Woomera"

does this not imply that there is noone able to respond from woomera to the VA? be that WES of CFS?

WES may be fulltime, but if they have another job then they rely on CFS backup, as they only run 2 fire appliance, and i believe only one of them is RCR capable, although Woomera CFS are the RCR response for woomera district. Perhaps there was another job going down..?

CFS SOCC and region are well aware of the resources at there disposal, and im sure they would have been responded if at all possible.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 01:56:40 PM by medevac »

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 05:29:34 PM »
From what ive been told by a reliable source they cant exceed 40ks from the town limit :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 12:17:22 PM »
I was reading The Advertiser Career One section yesterday and it turns out that WES (Woomera Emergency Services) are asking for people now i was naturally tempted to pick up the phone and apply :-P but it turns out you need alot of certifcates as well as ambulance training  :-(
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 08:22:04 PM »
From a very reliable source...

Firstly, if you don't want to read much more than this first line, you can all sleep better knowing that the 'No Crew' message referred to the CFS crew, not the fulltime crew at the Woomera Emergency Services.. :)

Now..

Woomera CFS is the Rescue response for a certain amount of the Stuart Highway.. - Including where this job refers to... So the " No Crew at Woomera" referred to CFS not having a crew. -By the looks of that page, Woomera CFS could not attend, so they defaulted to the NEAREST CFS Rescue brigade (in relation to incident location), that being Stirling North..

Woomera Emergency Services cover the Woomera town with Fire, Rescue, Hazmat and Ambulance related responses, along with around about 500 - 600 km of highway with Ambulance response only.. - They are a paid, fulltime, 24/7 Service, if one of the ambulances went to the above call, there would still be a crew remaining for the fire appliance if there was a job in town.. (or a subsequent ambulance call)

Woomera Emergency Services cover the Woomera Township for Rescue, as it is Commonwealth, not State land. - & Yes, when requiring assistance the nearest available backup would be sought, weather that be Woomera CFS, Roxby etc..(Per MA agreement's etc)..

Im guessing the reason the Woomera Emergency Services were not asked to attend the Accident in a Fire/ Rescue related role, would be 1)It is not their area, 2)It would leave the town uncovered..(which is why they are there), and 3)There are systems in place for when brigades can't get a crew, hence the default to Stirling North.. - Yeah it's a long drive, but thats unfortunately how it is in Remote Rural area's..
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 07:31:48 AM by RescueHazmat »

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 06:09:22 AM »
Please do not take the original posting has a critism of the system. It was just a comment that country regions are short of crew at this time of the year.

I know of other rural based SES RCR units who are refusing to deploy resources to fire grounds, because they have only enough people to cover RCR.

Other country units are not wishing to do SES PR events because not many locals are about to recruit or advertise to.

This will change in a few weeks when holidays are over & kids go back to school.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 08:10:14 AM »
I was reading The Advertiser Career One section yesterday and it turns out that WES (Woomera Emergency Services) are asking for people now i was naturally tempted to pick up the phone and apply :-P but it turns out you need alot of certifcates as well as ambulance training  :-(

yes they are after an emergency services officer, and yes you need qualifications (of course).
The job ad is here: http://baesystems.bigredsky.com/page.php?pageID=160&windowUID=0&AdvertID=2009

Offline firefighter_sa

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 06:30:37 PM »

Hi there

Why dont you apply for the job with WES - its not a real active place but its a good starting point within the carrer as an Emergency Services Officer.

I know for a fact with the amount of mining activities within SA ( and the money they are offering) they are having trouble getting people with qualification, give it a try.

have a go - apply.

Wayne
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 06:34:01 PM by firefighter_sa »
Wayne Ellard

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 09:53:52 PM »
WES went as ambo, woomera defaulted, stirling nth is closer than roxby as it was 70kms sth of woomera so stirling nth got the job, dont know if they made it there or not. you would be far from happy if you got 5kms away and got a stop.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 08:48:04 PM »
On the pager site i quite often see WES: fire crew required respond to station....
1, I thought they were on station full time so didn't think they needed paging
and 2, what is the main makeup of calls up there and how many would they do p/year??? (This is for fire only not ambulance as well) :-)
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 10:01:34 PM »
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 10:05:06 PM by SA Firey »
Images are copyright

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 11:34:26 AM »
Check out the website for WES

http://users.chariot.net.au/~jahill/firebrig.htm

and this one will give you all the info

http://www.fire-brigade.asn.au/Station_Display.asp?Service_Code=SACFS&Station_Code=WOOM

That first link is extremely out of date.. and the second one is the CFS..

I think you meant..

http://www.fire-brigade.asn.au/Station_Display.asp?Service_Code=SAWES&Station_Code=SAWES

Paging looks to be used to recall staff, I have seen it for a second crew response when they had a school fire, so i'm assuming if they get a fire/ambulance call, they send a page like the one mentioned to inform off shift staff, or recall staff of the job. (EG If the fire appliance attends a job, the page may be informing recall staff to attend the station incase of a subsequent call)..

:-)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 11:36:21 AM by RescueHazmat »