Author Topic: GRN PAGING FROM STATIONS  (Read 26603 times)

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: GRN PAGING FROM STATIONS
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 02:47:51 PM »
HQ would only get the same amount of information as the responding brigades if the alarm is monitored via a station....

i have heard of issues like this when barker are responding to assist hahndorf at there alarms, if noone opens hahndorf stn then they have no idea where they are responding too!!!

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2007, 03:03:18 PM »
If you have a romtek type set up for fixed alarms it will indicate where the fixed alarm is. Some stations like Woodside that only have a few fixed alarms and no romtek dont know who it is until someone opens up the station.

Offline loopylou

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2007, 08:51:20 AM »
Yes i know there are coso's + sop's, (i am a BCO) but i still maintain that i should be able to use the most reliable means i have to get the PROPER info to members. I don't believe that i should have to use their dodgy service over one that works perfectly? I am not an admin basher, but it really irks me that our bosses say we can't use or do something that works cause it goes against their opinion. :| At the end of the day safe and effective comms is what i'm after and if Gary doesn't like the way we're doing it, then he should look at HIS system and fix it. And if some of you think i'm a prick, then i can direct you to at least another 6 BCO's and 2 GCO's in my area who agree with me.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2007, 10:02:24 AM »
Loopy have you used Airsource?

This is by far a better option than relying on the internet. A brigade I was with (rightly or wrongly) installed the software in the Station and on the Lt's home computers. This system worked very well!

I remember upgrading a fire to second alarm before I left the house (because I looked out the back window while on the fire phone and could see it)....Airsource saved probably ten minutes that day.

Airsource is quite easy to use and approved. What more do you want CFS to do for you? Your post paints a picture that you can't do what you want within the system so you are working outside of it...why is this?

I am interested to hear what challenges you have faced with paging.. :-)

Offline filtered

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2007, 10:34:38 AM »
Agrees with firefrog.

Whilst the webpaging is generally reliable, there is no guarentee of service from it.  The system could be down and there is no indicator on the site that it is the case.  It also doesn't come up with an actual confirmation that the page has been sent.

One of the quickest/easiest ways to upgrade an incident, though, is to contact state headquarters (via phone or regional talkgroup) and get them to do it.  I've never had an issue with upgrading through them.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2007, 11:20:30 AM »
Stations that have fixed alarms connected to them will send out that generic page "FIXED ALARM RESPOND TO STATION"

So if your brigade is getting responded as a default to the station that actually has the fixed alarm unit there,and none has attended that is a big problem.Very embarassing for the service when you have to ring every client coneccted to it to find out which one went off..Thats prehistoric :evil:

The new FIREMON system is slowly being rolled out, but as to when the whole changeover will be completed is a question Gary Bau might be able to answer.

Another thing about the Link site is that the person you page gets charged per pager message in this case CFS.(see note)

You acknowledge that: 

(a) Link may disclose information about your transactions to the Link customer to whom your paging messages are sent ("Customer");
  (b) the Customer will be liable for Link's fees for the cost of the paging message you send; and
  (c) the Customer has provided to you the Customer's pager number or mobile number for use by you for transmitting messages via the Internet using Link's website.

Images are copyright

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2007, 09:59:42 PM »
If you have a romtek type set up for fixed alarms it will indicate where the fixed alarm is. Some stations like Woodside that only have a few fixed alarms and no romtek dont know who it is until someone opens up the station.
Romtek are a brand of alarm monitor - one of our alarms is monitored by a Romtek monitor, and it still pages us with "FIXED ALARM ACTIVATED RESPOND STATION".  The new wireless systems page with location details though...

Offline loopylou

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2007, 10:12:46 PM »
This discussion is getting interesting isn't it?

1st - No i haven't used Airsource because:

a: haven't been able to get a copy no matter where i look or who i ask, although a couple of people have said they'll get me a copy. (8 mnths n still waitin)
b: some other people i talked to about it on diff occasions both complained bout it.
so i spose i should look harder n give it a go. :wink:

2nd - u assume that the link account i'm using is CFS's, and it ain't. Na Na  :-D

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2007, 09:21:46 PM »
yeh id recommend having a look at airsource, it is good software if you know how to use it and have all the right paging IDs for it...

it doenst matter where you are paging from in link, from my understanding regardless of where it is paged from CFS get the bill for a msg hitting a CFS pager.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2007, 09:57:26 AM »
*Technically* is it the CFS getting billed, or the government?  After all, it is the Government Radio Network, not the CFS radio network... :?

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2007, 10:34:56 AM »
The only problem with email messages from your computer is  it can take sometime

Airsource is good but I think you can only use it if you are the Administrator of the PC, not Power Users

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2007, 12:29:25 PM »
And i believe only good if you have dial up.

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2007, 02:20:50 PM »
There is also a SOP/COSO's relating to what is required to be on the page in relation to a fixed alarm, eg; the page is meant to state exactly the name and address the brigade is responding to. How many Brigades with fixed alarm monitoring have that? It has always been, Fixed alarm activated, respond X Brigade station.

I hate it when we are paged as a default for the Brigade with fixed alarm, when the pager only says respond fixed alarm. no address so we have to then ring around to all the fixed alarm places for that Brigade, then we have to try and set the alarm at the brigade station but then they have not opened there station??????????? it happens only to often its not a joke. Our Captain has had a talk to there captain but still not fixed yet.

Then you have the WORST system in the world !  You have to contact all the buildings with monitored fire alarms ?  And whats that bout the alarm at there station?? Surely HQ would know what they were responded too and could advise you of where to attend?  - After all, you must have been defaulted from someone??

The system they have is still the old type it just reads respond to station. If SHQ have not heard anything from them in 6 mins we get a defult. The alarm board at the station will tell us which building needs us but if they do not have anyone respond we then have to ring who we think it could be. Then we have to get into there station some how to re set the board. SHQ only get the same message we get, no more information than that. The alpha decoder box at the station does not work and has been sent back for repairs 8 times still no good. Hope the new system come in soon.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2007, 07:30:16 PM »
The only problem with email messages from your computer is  it can take sometime

Airsource is good but I think you can only use it if you are the Administrator of the PC, not Power Users

the emails are not even slightly reliable.

airsource is good software, we encountered an issue runnign ADSL and using airsource, but i believe there was a way around it, cant remember atm though.

backburn, the new system is being phased in slowly i believe,,,, those messages you see every now and then that contain *WFAM* are a part of the new alarm system....

shouldnt be too long hopewfully.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2007, 06:26:06 AM »
So can we use the new system from the computer, via some software

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2007, 08:02:57 AM »
what do you mean fire03rescue?

we dont need to acess the alarm system from computers at stations... any fiddlign should be done at the actual premises or at state level via consultation with whoever the person that does that stuff is...

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2007, 08:17:54 AM »
Hmm what I thought,
Is there new software, instead of using airpro or email to send pages.

Just reading the topic GRN PAGING FROM STATIONS

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2007, 08:40:07 AM »
no new paging software that im aware of... sorry thought you were talking about firemon