Author Topic: Clayton CFS (cab curtains)  (Read 11047 times)

Offline Jono

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Clayton CFS (cab curtains)
« on: January 25, 2007, 07:21:27 PM »
Did anyone else happen to read the article in The Times (Victor Harbour) paper about Clayton CFS? Seen as im still on sick leave :) I've decided to type it up!

"Vital donation to Clayton CFS"

The Clayton Community Association donated $1045 to the Clayton CFS for a Thermo Gaurd Fire Curtain (heat reflective blinds) to the trucks cab.

This will help protect the volunteers in the cab from potential and severe harm.

The Clayton Community Association is also giving all the proceeds from the Australia Day Breakfast to the CFS towards a cabin deluge system (water spray) over the truck's cabin.

"Because of unavailable funds, CFS Region 1 refused to supply these important health and safety initiatives, which would fully protect our local voluteers and because we are in such a horrific fire season, the CCA decided to help protect our local CFS volunteers," A CCA Management committee member said.

"The income from our bottle depot at the back of the Community Hall, has allowed us to have the funds to help the CFS," Mike Galea CCA President said.

"It's all part of country towns like ours pooling their resources. This together with the community helping with recyclable bottles and cans is very important fundraising for the activities we want to do," he added.

Now I thought all CFS appliances would come with Fire blankets? Or atleast Group/region would be providing balnkets to trucks to meet a saftey level?
Jono
Snr 2
Seaford CFS (Mawson Group)

BLEVE

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Clayton CFS (cab curtains)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 07:39:30 PM »
The Emergency Services Levy at work :-P...not only do we have to pay it,and provide the emergency service, the community still has to rally to supply operational equipment for our appliances!!!!!!!!!!!

What century are we in :evil:
Images are copyright

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 08:29:53 PM »
I think they are talking about the internal roll down blinds, that are fitted to new appliances, but not retro fitted to old ones (at least, not at the Region / State HQ cost).

There is absolutely no policy that stops brigades purchasing roll down curtains for their cab.....it'll just be at the brigade, or Group's cost!

Perhaps rather than taking a stab at Region 1 in the article, the person might have been better taking a stab at the Government, and the need for more funding for the CFS as a whole!!

I think there are other brigades around who have had local community groups donate funds for the internal roll down curtains.......

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 09:55:34 PM »
It OH&S..  Where will CFS stand if say *Hypothetically* a brigade request the curtains.. (The same ones all new trucks come with).. Get told ' No '.. Then a week later a F/F dies from thermal related burns in the cab, in say a burnover situation?

Sure.. Can't be directly said the curtains would or wouldn't have helped.. But I know what will happen when its found out they got knocked back the week before.. :roll:

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 11:55:04 PM »
If there isn't enough money to do it, then there isn't enough money, no matter how many lives that piece of equipment might save...
It doesn't matter how much we bitch and moan about it, it won't change the fact that their isn't enough money, and if the money has to be spent on retro fitting curtains on all old appliances, it'll have to be taken away from somewhere else - like new appliances or PPE...

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 06:41:45 AM »
There may not be enough money, but one would think that they might BUDGET some money to assist brigades/groups with getting these important safety features installed. It not a new idea there have been several financial years roll by they could have done this over. Just because a brigade doesn't have a new truck, doesn't mean they should miss out on basic safety devices.
Final point- You dont see to many regional cars going around that are more that 2-3 years old. There is the money CFS needs to put firefighters safety first.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 09:01:31 AM »
Did you see the CFA crew on the ABC special the other night? The did a demo of a burnover and they used woolen blankets fro protection on the back!! And this is after Linton.

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 10:28:47 AM »
Did you see the CFA crew on the ABC special the other night? The did a demo of a burnover and they used woolen blankets fro protection on the back!! And this is after Linton.

Even though i had ago at cfs in my last post about this subject, i still believe that cfs is the best equipment and safety standards of any volley fire servive in aus.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 12:34:51 PM »

I thought they were also under a shield as well?
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 02:55:17 PM »
Final point- You dont see to many regional cars going around that are more that 2-3 years old. There is the money CFS needs to put firefighters safety first.

The staff cars are currently leased from State Fleet.  It is a State Fleet requirement that the cars get changed over once they reach a certain age / mileage.  Keeping the cars for more years (if State fleet allowed it) would not change the price they have to pay for vehicles.

As for OH & S - even if an OH & S problem is identified, there is not requirement for it to be fixed, if the cost is prohibitive...for example, it could be argued that twin cabs are safer than single cabs, and hence we should now change over all our single cabs now.      :evil:

Hence, we have to try and manage the best we can, with the limited resources we have....so things like burnover training coming into it, providing information to members about safe access routes, the LOOKOUTS cards etc etc......

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 03:19:59 PM »
Cab curtains are pretty freaking basic though, and could prove to be VASTLY valuable in the situation of a burnover !

Much more beneficial than the CFS Caps, or SAFTEY FIRST pins !!!  (to name a few!!)  :x

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 10:40:01 AM »
If CFS is so concerned with the Burnover Topic and im sure everyone is aware of the potential a burnover can impact on,and its a OH&SW issue then CFS should supply the operational funding to get them.

How long did we wait to get intercoms on the first batch of Hinos back in 89 :roll:
Images are copyright

probie_boy

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 02:18:32 PM »
Much more beneficial than the CFS Caps, or SAFTEY FIRST pins !!!  (to name a few!!)  :x

hey, my pin has saved me on numerous occasions.

I have a bit of a connection with clayton. Tiny town, but has some real good people in it. I reckon that this donation was really good of the CCA. I dont however like the comment where they slander region 1. that was not very good, especially as it was being published in the newspaper. But can cfs do anything about this? considering that it was not a member of the CFS that said it.

either way, sounds like that stuff would be of good use to clayton.

Timbo

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 06:09:28 PM »
Cab curtains are pretty freaking basic though, and could prove to be VASTLY valuable in the situation of a burnover !

All appliances are stowed with Fire and/or woolen Blankets in the cab - and this gives protection in a burnover.  Why waste money on old appliances when those $'s can bring a new appliance sooner that has roll down blinds fitted?

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 06:46:11 PM »
hmmm and ill bet that your appliances all have fire curtains do they Mr T?

not a real issue that youd be concerned about?

Timbo

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 06:48:17 PM »
hmmm and ill bet that your appliances all have fire curtains do they Mr T?

not a real issue that youd be concerned about?

No - none do - both have woolen blankets stored behind the seats

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 06:52:33 PM »
then if i were you i would be concerned

Timbo

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 06:56:55 PM »
then if i were you i would be concerned

With the proper training of burnover drill, it shouldn't matter what equipment you have, so long as you have it.  Last thing I want is my crew to be in danger, but I'd sure prefer to be in the cab with a woolen blanket than on the back with a roll down blind.  Or even better - not have to go through another burnover ever again - it is freaky enough no matter where you are sitting

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 07:24:11 PM »
mmm yeh id much rather have a blanket than a peice of equipment designed for that specific purpose

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
The blanket is made for fire protection specific purposes mr medevac.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2007, 07:53:25 PM »
mmm i get the impression we are talking about your avergae wooly blanket here ryan?

cos surely we wouldnt be talking about "white" fire blankets? the type designed for smothering small fires?

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2007, 08:13:50 PM »
Heavy duty fire proof woollen blanket, Id feel safe under one.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2007, 09:19:12 PM »
mmm... cool

id still rather not be in contact with it anyway.... but who knows

i havent been in a "real" burnover, just the little pussy  ones people refer to as burnovers

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2007, 07:09:25 PM »

All appliances are stowed with Fire and/or woolen Blankets in the cab - and this gives protection in a burnover.  Why waste money on old appliances when those $'s can bring a new appliance sooner that has roll down blinds fitted?

Mr T - Without wanting to sound rude (as im not being rude), have you ever been in one of the newer appliances with such curtains fitted?

And to answer the " Why waste money question " .. Is the potential to save a life, really worth the small $$$ in fitting a couple of thermal blinds?

Trust me when I say that these blinds are worth there weight in gold !

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2007, 07:14:01 PM »
Heavy duty fire proof woollen blanket, Id feel safe under one.

You would feel safe as the heat is penetrating through the glass (unprotected or shielded by thermal blinds), A heat so intense it is giving off toxic gasses from the plastic inside the cab? A heat so intense you feel like you are literatelly on fire?

You can have your blanket, heck I will have one, but I will also take the thermal blinds any day !

- My comments are based on my opinion, the fact I believe the sxcuse " We don't have the money to pay for that " is just not good enough..