yes
15 (46.9%)
no
12 (37.5%)
not sure
5 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: September 22, 2007, 04:10:05 PM

Author Topic: cfs volunteers  (Read 66444 times)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: cfs volunteers
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2007, 09:36:49 AM »
Isn't it interesting that in other states they value their emergency services and are increasing spending not cutting it. May be they are trying to catch up to us  :wink: Here is an extract from the Victorian report on the Bushfires earlier this year :- "A Stronger Emergency Service
Valuing Volunteers Program $3,000,000
Grants for Emergency Services Volunteer Groups $11,000,000
New Equipment for Volunteers $3,131,000
New and Improved SES Units $8,016,000
Strengthening the SES $26,332,000
New and Upgraded CFA Stations $8,818,000
New Equipment for the SES $4,000,000
Supporting emergency responders
Payroll tax exemptions for volunteers
The government introduced an exemption from payroll tax to employers for wages paid or payable to employees performing certain volunteer services during bushfires and other emergencies.
This exemption took effect from 1 November 2006 and applies to employees not on official leave."
Note the payroll tax exemption for vollies employers. There is a lot more detail in the report available at www.dhs.vic.gov.au/emergency/bushfire_recovery_taskforce
Remember that Victoria doesn't have the ESL, so a lot of the funding is community based grants. As I said previously it is disgraceful that an identified gap is not being closed because Treasury won't hand over the cash, whats going to be cut next?
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2007, 10:39:09 AM »
where is south australia's moolah  :cry:  we all pay tax and seems a lot gets wasted by fools.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2007, 12:07:01 PM »
Before we whine about funding, why not take a step back and look at what we, as CFS, actually have.

Better PPE than most Australian PAID services.
-Eg: PBI gold is only used in SA at the moment, Vic still use wool, NSW Have nomex.

Newer Appliances than most Australian PAID services.
-Eg: NSWFB still has old Scanias as front running appliances. Super Pump 1's exchange vehicle when its getting work done is still an ACCO. It was only a couple of months ago that the last front running ACCO was replaced in the Sydney Metro area.

Better Training, over a wider range of disciplines than most other Australian Volunteer Fire Services
-Eg: CFA do rescue/hazmat, but are also supplemented by paid personnel. RFS Don't do rescue/hazmat. Other states also just do fires.

The tools we use and the training we have a pretty damn good. All on a tiny budget. We have it pretty good.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2007, 12:57:10 PM »
True & from the SES side we have the arguably the best RCR gear in the country, new vehicles, very good roof safety systems, chainsaws, vertical equipment and very good PPE. Not much point having this gear if a) no one to use it, b) no one trained to use it.
Thats what the point of the post was - no funding to continue driver training both 4x4 and Emergency response (non existent). The training package you speak of is delivered by the army & has done for many years, they don't let anyone drive their 4x4 trucks prior to doing the course. Maybe it as Zippy said " wasted by fools".
You can't on the one hand say this is important & then turn around and say "but we can't provide as we have no money". And $260,000 surely it hasn't cost that much! How many drivers have been trained? What has been delivered?
Food for thought - cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2007, 01:12:24 PM »
CFS drivers should be undertaking the same training as MFS driver training AND 4x4 training. how about that?  affordable?

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2007, 01:24:36 PM »
I think that driver training needs to be looked at far more seriously than it is currently. It's a basic safety issue. Courses like CFBT, Plantation and other such courses are nowhere near as important as basic emergency response driver training.

I know that people will probably blow up about that, but really, whats the use of extra training if you can't get to the job in a safe manner?

rescue5271

« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2007, 03:17:44 PM »
If they at the top are really going to look at driver training then they need to look at  changing the SOPS so that drivers can drive to the conditions but also can break the law in a safe manner....What do i mean by that well We are not allowed to go down the wrong side of the road with lights and siren going,we are not allowed to go around rounds abouts the wrong way and we are not allowed to go over the speed limit..Mind you the AUST ROAD RULES says that emergency vehicles are except from this rule as long as they have lights and siren going and are going to a urgent job....

I agree 100% we need better training but it must come from those that hold the qualifications and not from brigade members who have been driving for years...The safe of road course was the start now lets find the money and do the rest,this also should be extended to brigade's who's members also help SAAS with drivers and man power when they are busy and SAAS crew as to be broken up...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2007, 03:58:19 PM »
dont forget that Police are watching Emergency Appliance drivers,  and that there is a speed limit for Priority 1.  20km/h over the speed signage.

Offline Crank

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2007, 04:25:25 PM »
Where is this SOP that states these things Blinkey?  I have not seen it

The only thing i can find relevant to Emergency Response Driving in COSO 8.  Which states we are allowed to do all of those things you have stated.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2007, 05:53:41 PM »
We have it in an SOP 20 kmph that's about it those other things we can do / have done. Emergency driving is covered in our RCR course - theory only.
I think currently the situation is very dangerous & the cost would be tiny is a vehicle is involved in a fatality.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2007, 08:21:43 PM »
Here is an extract from the Victorian report on the Bushfires earlier this year :- "A Stronger Emergency Service
Valuing Volunteers Program $3,000,000
Grants for Emergency Services Volunteer Groups $11,000,000
New Equipment for Volunteers $3,131,000
New and Improved SES Units $8,016,000
Strengthening the SES $26,332,000
New and Upgraded CFA Stations $8,818,000
New Equipment for the SES $4,000,000
Remember that Victoria doesn't have the ESL, so a lot of the funding is community based grants.....

I am not sure how the total of $63 million detailed above compares favourably with the SA capital budget of $72.5 million for SES, CFS & MFS. (ref  Budget Paper 5, Justice, 2007/08 SA Government Budget).

The total budget from SA Government 2007/08 (ref Budget Paper 4, Justice, 2007/08 SA Government Budget) is:

SAFECOM = 13.3 million
MFS     = 89.3 million
CFS     = 52.0 million
SES     = 10.5 million

Total for ESO sector = $ 206.6 million

That is a lot of money that the public wants value for $$ spent.

Personally, I believe the concentration should be on keeping the budget at current value & spending wisely with duplication avoided.

It is going to be interesting during the next few years how ESO's deliver what the volunteers require to do the tasks (including training) without over-spending.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2007, 09:28:33 PM »
Does the SES also get Federal funding? 10.5M seems very small for the amount of equipment training you seem to maintain...

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 13, 2007, 06:04:24 AM »
A tiny bit for disaster management, but your right its a small sum. A lot of the equipment that is currently out there was purchased from monies raised by communities prior to ESAU. For example two of our three vehicles were not funded by state government (the community paid for them)- it is highly likely that they won't be replaced. A lot of the equipment we carry is the same, only the latest RCR gear is funded by state government. And due to budget cut backs, there isn't a long term replacement plan. The boat is second hand - it replaced a Federal supplied boat, again there isn't funding to plan for its replacement. The word is when the boats are replaced somewhere in the future, not everyone will be replaced - numbers will be reduced.
And Andrew I agree with the sentiment but thats easy in the metro area where you have units/stations & brigades close by to mutually support each other, here in the country thats not an option. We don't have that luxury & we are not maintaining spending at current levels we have been sliding backwards for three years!
As I have said before there has been some improvements, new RCR gear, we have recently had a building upgrade (to accommodate regional HQ, Regional trg & CFS Group), new PPE etc. But if we just say everthing is ok, then the backwards slide will continue & in a few years the people will be untrained, equipment worn out etc. It will cost a lot more than $10.5 million! cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2007, 06:36:11 AM »
Good god Blinky, I thank the heavens that I'm not in your brigade. Do you actually know whats going on or do you just make things up as you go along?

When driving under response conditions, as long as you can justify your actions if it all goes to scheiße, you can use the entire road, in almost any manner you see fit.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2007, 01:34:54 PM »
Thats what I thought :wink: And Andrew that funding for the Vics is only whats come out of that report - its in addition to their normal funding. cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2007, 08:54:24 AM »
If they at the top are really going to look at driver training then they need to look at  changing the SOPS so that drivers can drive to the conditions but also can break the law in a safe manner....What do i mean by that well We are not allowed to go down the wrong side of the road with lights and siren going,we are not allowed to go around rounds abouts the wrong way and we are not allowed to go over the speed limit..Mind you the AUST ROAD RULES says that emergency vehicles are except from this rule as long as they have lights and siren going and are going to a urgent job....

What the he'll are you talking about blinky.... this must be some local BS you guys have, because it certainly is not a statewide thing.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2007, 12:30:36 PM »
I think you should go and read COSO 7 & 8 Bill because we are already allowed to drive and break the rules normally applied under Priority 1,whilst driving with due care and attention.

ARR306(b)gives us exemption under Priority 1, and normal drivers also must comply with ARR78 "A driver must not move into the path of an approaching police or emergency vehicle that is displaying a blue or red flashing light(whether or not it is displaying other lights,sounding an alarm"

Normal restrictions still apply to us at School Crossings,Roadworks and Train/Tram Crossings etc.

So thats your homework this weekend :-P :lol:
Images are copyright

rescue5271

« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2007, 04:32:56 AM »
It is one of our brigade rules......we have been telling them we are allowed to do it but they wont allow us to.........

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 22, 2007, 07:03:57 AM »
i dont believe in the CFS dictionary the word "rule" exists... :roll:...Guidelines , standard practises and standing orders do

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2007, 11:23:17 AM »
It is one of our brigade rules......

whats the reasoning behind it?

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2007, 02:11:56 PM »
i dont believe in the CFS dictionary the word "rule" exists... :roll:...Guidelines , standard practises and standing orders do

SOP = Procedure :)

anything