Author Topic: NOMEX  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
NOMEX
« on: July 23, 2005, 01:22:03 AM »
can any one tell me what the service life of a set of NOMEX is ????? :?
Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
Re: NOMEX
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 12:49:47 PM »
Well as noone seems to have come forward with an "official" answer, I'll suggest what I've heard round the traps which is totally unverified. I seem to recall the figure of 5 - 7 years depending on usage. I have to say that my set has been regularly worn and washed, seen a bit of action and seems as good as the day it was purchased several years ago. Of course carbon impregnated or not, no PPE seems to like battery acid very much  :-)
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

strikeathird

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 10:56:39 PM »
I have also heard around 5 years.. Not official tho.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 04:06:52 PM »
I have searched the DuPont Nomex site and they do not put a life span on the material - rather they state it's properties and alike, however I believe the manufacture of the Nomex PPE would be able to act as a guide - depends how often it is worn and for what.

Our ex Captains gear was 5 years old when he replaced it - not due to excessive operational use (i.e. at the sharp or pointy end), fading, tears, cuts or alike, but because it had been washed so many times that it started to fray!

Maybe try FARA - they import it and make PPE from it - they should have an answer  -but then how long is a piece of string?
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

corocfs

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 09:06:38 AM »
not sure of the actual lifespan of the gear... but we have a couple of guys who are still sporting the same set that they were first issued with 7 (or 8???) years ago. it looks like its in tip-top shape, and these are guys that average about 60 calls a year...
it still looks good, but who could tell if its still "fire-proof" though???

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 12:14:29 PM »
My gears been in service 6 or so years (tis a bit hard to remember when i got it!), and still appears to be in good condition.......

Still.... we can quote age all we like. In reality it depends how well you take care of it.....

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 12:33:10 AM »
There was a suggestion made not long ago that our brigade sends some of the original gear back (which is from 1998) to the supplier for inspection and repair. That way they can fix any loose stripeing, stitching and holes etc. May even be able to replace the stripeing with day night stripeing.

anything