Author Topic: News Article - CBR Training.........Is it Enough ???  (Read 10526 times)

strikeathird

News Article - CBR Training.........Is it Enough ???
« on: August 09, 2005, 03:59:17 PM »
I just read this article on ninemsn news, which was uploaded on Friday.  What are your thoughts about this matter ?

SA Firefighters 'need further training'11:50 AEST Fri Aug 5 2005
AAP
South Australian firefighters have not had sufficient training to attend chemical, biological or radiological (CBR) incidents, the state opposition says.

SA Liberal emergency services spokesman Angus Redford said Country Fire Service (CFS) volunteers had been told by the state government they were required to deal with CBR incidents.

But he claimed at least one CFS brigade had received only a single six hour training session to deal with CBR hazards.

"I know for a fact that members of the brigade in question are astounded that, having received so little training, they could be called on to provide a front-line response to a serious incident involving chemical, biological or even radiological contamination," Mr Redford said.

"These events could range from a minor chemical spill to a major terrorist attack using biological or even radioactive weapons.

"If the experience of this particular brigade is typical of what has - or hasn't - happened throughout South Australia, then I am deeply concerned about our ability to deal with a serious CBR incident."

(c) AAP 2005

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
Re: News Article - CBR Training.........Is it Enough ???
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 10:38:48 AM »
Training Is Always Something That Can Be Improved On.  Things Change & Skills Can Be Forgotten.

I Think That We Do Need More Trained CBR Operators, However We Always Need More Of Every Thing.

With The Threat Of Terriost Attack's Increasing Around The World & Alot Of People Believing That Oz Will Be The Next Target, I Think It Would Be A Good Time To Get Some More People Trained In CBR.

Offline Broadside

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 11:10:53 AM »
I know that there is a CBR upskill course at the end of August at south coast training centre. Dont know whats involved at the moment

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 04:07:08 PM »
A little knowledge is dangerous.

My view - we all have our areas of expertise (RCR, Hazmat, Tankers, Vertical Rescue, Pumper - what ever) but lets aim to be competent in what we already have (not just as individuals but as whole brigades) before we take on more tasks.

We have people trained in CBR, who if the need arises can guide, instruct and lead those who aren't!  Lets put our faith in their training, abilility and skills.

As for a politician being deeply concearned - maybe he should be concearned enough to ensure we have appropriate PPE, appliances, equipment, stations, support and alike before he jumps on the current band wagon of CBR!!!!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 05:32:10 PM »
Does anyone know what brigade he was talking to?
I agree with oz fire to, just give us more funding, it'll be appreciated, so matter what it goes towards...

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 06:51:11 PM »
Yes, CBR seems to have gotten other states fire services plenty of new equipment but we have not really seen much here.
About all i've noticed is a couple of new pods in town and burnside probably have some new toys. Other states have recieved funding for major trucks and alot of highly trained personel. I suppose S.E.S have recieved a bit but nothing major.
As for the 6 hour training session it was probably that really exciting CBR video.

strikeathird

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 09:26:22 PM »
A little knowledge is dangerous.

My view - we all have our areas of expertise (RCR, Hazmat, Tankers, Vertical Rescue, Pumper - what ever) but lets aim to be competent in what we already have (not just as individuals but as whole brigades) before we take on more tasks.

We have people trained in CBR, who if the need arises can guide, instruct and lead those who aren't!  Lets put our faith in their training, abilility and skills.

As for a politician being deeply concearned - maybe he should be concearned enough to ensure we have appropriate PPE, appliances, equipment, stations, support and alike before he jumps on the current band wagon of CBR!!!!

^^Good call.

I have no idea which brigade they were talking about, but if they classify that useless DVD I had to sit through, as training, or as being trained in CBR.... God Help us all !!!

I hope their is something more indepth than that DVD.   As I DEFINATELY don't call myself CBR qual. for sitting through, and learning its content.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 01:43:37 PM »
The brigade the polly was talking about was Jamestown - a well practiced Hazmat brigade in the Mid North.

SA has also receievd a very large cache of equipment - it was provided to THE STATE, not one individual service. The majority is housed at Wakefield street under a state baner (maybe soon safecom) however there is some equipment at Brukunga and it specific areas.

A number of brigades (more than just burnside) close to Adelaide have undertaken extensive traing in the use of the equipment and should the need ever arise, are able to operate competently all of the equipment :-)

corocfs

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 09:02:14 PM »

About all i've noticed is a couple of new pods in town and burnside probably have some new toys. Other states have recieved funding for major trucks and alot of highly trained personel. I suppose S.E.S have recieved a bit but nothing major.

i think you'll find that the ses have absoloutely nothing to do with CBR in SA... and have  not recieved any equipment or training.

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 09:05:36 PM »
Sorry, I meant the overall terrist thing, not just CBR. S.E.S have recieved alot of gear in relation to structure collapse etc..

corocfs

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 10:03:56 PM »
SES have always been a USAR response, but your right, recently they have ahd a lot of money poured into upgrading both training and equipment...

Offline firefighter_sa

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 09:53:34 AM »
Hi there all

Our core business (responses) within the CFS has been rapidly changing over time, I think most could relate to, vehicle accidents etc are now almost outnumbering our fire calls.

We now have a new enemy - Terrorism.

With terrorism we as Emergency Services workers are now are working on the front line.  We are not responding to grass fires with mother nature having the controlling hand - but now we are responding to idiots whom think they are doing right picking random targets, causing carnage and killing.

as a request please CFS we need additional training to educate our volunteers - This is a unseen enemy and we need as much information as possible.

Wayne
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 10:06:19 AM by firefighter_sa »
Wayne Ellard

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 12:24:17 PM »
Great call Wayne - yes we need additional information on the threats that confrunt us everyday!

Obviously your brigade is one of the 40 across the state that have met their competency standards (SFEC), for the rest of us it would be nice to have access to the training to just meet these first or even to have the people who want and desire additional training!

Nice to know about the other threats, but nicer still to deal with those that we face every single day!!!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 01:11:27 PM by oz fire »