Author Topic: Responsibilites of the property owner  (Read 2041 times)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Responsibilites of the property owner
« on: September 19, 2009, 09:46:52 AM »
This has been mentioned in relation to the Kilburn fire and all the difficulties that MFS had there.

What is a reasonable amount of fire suppression systems for a firm to have? obviously something like a ship has to be rather self contained but something such as wingfield dump or a factory in the suburbs doesn't.

Personally I think the point of the fire brigade is that everyone doesn't need to have a personal fire truck but it is obviously in the interest of the firm to have good systems to be able to minimize potential damage, and i guess it may help with insurance aswell.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Responsibilites of the property owner
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 11:29:14 AM »
What is a reasonable amount of fire suppression systems for a firm to have? obviously something like a ship has to be rather self contained but something such as wingfield dump or a factory in the suburbs doesn't.

The reasonable amount of fire suppression systems for something like a mill,dump or factory is booster hydrants and fire hoses or a combination of both connected to a water supply enabling continuous supply of water 

Personally I think the point of the fire brigade is that everyone doesn't need to have a personal fire truck but it is obviously in the interest of the firm to have good systems to be able to minimize potential damage, and i guess it may help with insurance aswell.

You'll find that not every industrial or commercial premises has their own fire appliance although it would pay for worksites both commerical and industrial to have their own on-site fire crews trained by CFS or MFS  

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 11:30:56 AM by Robert-Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline 2468

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Responsibilites of the property owner
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 01:54:59 PM »
There are on site fire crews trained by one or two private companies... I know a couple high risk sites in Regency Park have them.

The Kilburn Site does have on site advanced fire teams trained from what the owner was saying on night, however the risk posed by the LPG tank which was the target out-weighed the benefits of fighting it.

MFS used to have a commercial arm remember... however the government sold it off to Chubb