General Discussion > SAMFS

New MFS station for Salisbury

(1/12) > >>

Yossarian:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/new-7-million-salisbury-fire-station-will-help-meet-demands-of-growing-population/story-e6frea6u-1226570010767

Sounds like it will be an impressive one, for $7 million you'd hope so.  Looking forward to seeing it progress.

misterteddy:
$7mil....not that far off the entire CFS training budget. One day someone might review the Tahj's and decide that a shed with an attached simple building might be more prudent financially

Monger:

--- Quote from: misterteddy on February 04, 2013, 09:03:59 PM ---$7mil....not that far off the entire CFS training budget. One day someone might review the Tahj's and decide that a shed with an attached simple building might be more prudent financially

--- End quote ---
Yeah and no other government employees can move in to new office blocks :roll:. The new stations are built for a 50year life span so $7 million isnt too excessive.

Darius:
Personally I don't begrudge the MFS new stations, they are funded properly and CFS isn't, it's that simple.  CFS and the CFSVA should be lobbying for equivalent funding to MFS for training and equipment.

Just for interest I did some sums based on figures for 2011-2012 from the promo unit website.

There are 5 groups in the CFS that did more than 500 calls each for the year. That's 33 brigades that did a total of 4483 calls for the year.

Assuming on average each of those groups receives around $230,000 annual funding allocation. That figure is based on what I know of my group and extrapolating a bit for the others.  It does not include any amount for brigade stations or trucks (many of which were paid by councils anyway before CFS took it over but nevertheless an amount has to be budgeted for replacement).  It includes some training costs but not all and most equipment but not all.

That means it costs $1.1m to run the busiest 5 groups (33 brigades) doing around 4500 calls per year in some of the highest risk and highly populated areas in the state.  That's quite a bargain the government and taxpayers of the state are getting.

Even if we include the "other costs", say 1 new truck per group per year ($400K), other equipment ($50K), other training ($50K), misc other stuff ($70K) that still only comes to $800K per group, which is $4m per year for those 5 groups (33 brigades) or just over $120,000 per brigade per year.

What's the MFS budget for 1 station per year, ignoring salaries?

fire8029:
MFS budget for a year, lets say $120M, roughly $84M of that is wages, left with $36M divided by 46 stations is $782,000 per year for each station.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version