Author Topic: power saws on regular appliances  (Read 7556 times)

probie_boy

power saws on regular appliances
« on: April 11, 2006, 02:42:33 PM »
howdy,

i noticed at the RCR comps in the limited section that they were using the battery powered jigsaw type saws along with the halligan tools. Do you think all appliances should have these tools so basic extrication can be performed (like popping a door or cutting out part of a roof)? I figured we already have halligan tools, the saws aren't gonna take up much space and most people know how to use power tools.

What do you reckon?

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: power saws on regular appliances
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 04:09:57 PM »
Commonly called recipro saws on SES trucks.
Different blades used for different materials.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 04:36:22 PM »
Those recipro saws are horrible noisy little things (my opinion only) our local SES has used them a few times at jobs and training with us and our halligan tool did the same thing their saw did and in the same amount of time.

Talking with some "patients" in a car at an exercise we had they reckon they wouldn't wish it on anyone to be in a car when it's in use they said it was horrible and damn near deafening. But thats my opinion i don't like them. :|
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 09:35:48 AM »
Fully agree. Ear-plugs only soften the sound.

But a great tool for cutting small sections of twisted corregated roofing iron to remove it from a roof. Sometimes safer to use than quick-cut motorised saw.

But definitely last resort if late at night or early morning. Otherwise the whole neighbourhood will know that you are there :-P
Andrew Macmichael

strikeathird

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 01:25:59 PM »
Putting up with a bit of noise when you are pinned in a crumpled car ....  Think I would put up with it..

What ever tool is best suited I say... If the saw will do the job best, with most efficiency etc.. Use it.. If the halligan will.. use it... if the cutters / spreaders will.. use them...

What ever is most suited to the situation...

And yes i think recipro saws should be on GP appliances... Multitude of uses...

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 01:52:28 PM »
well said strikeathird

rescue5271

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 04:52:17 PM »
if we put any more gear on appliances they will be over weight and this will cause another problem. As for the saw's they have there good points and bad points and afew bad points have already been said. The saw can also cause the vehicle to vibrate a little and this could cause the patient to feel worse when cutting.. I know there are a few RCR brigades that use them but that is up to them...

probie_boy

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 04:56:56 PM »
if we put any more gear on appliances they will be over weight and this will cause another problem.

it would not take up any more room than a tool box, and it could easily fitt into the tool cupboards on board.

strikeathird

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 05:02:25 PM »
Vibrate more than when a spreading tool tears the door hinge out of the metal pillar ?   Or when the ram slips ? or when the windows are taken out ?

I think we are getting a little pedantic here..  I know patient care is EXTREMELY important.. Trust me.. i do ... But we have to wake up to reality a little..

(And i sincerely respect your opinions tho... and , some being very valid) !

The recipro can also be used as an entry device.. on roofs .. As I said, it has a multitude of uses.. not just limited to MVA's.

I dont think the weight issue will be a major problem either...  Im sure the 11kg's or what ever is it wont pop the back axel's.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 05:04:35 PM by strikeathird »

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 12:03:32 AM »
Good point Striker the recipro would be a much cheaper tool than disc cutters to run on structure jobs like sheds and the like.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 09:52:59 AM »
as striker reciprocating saws have plenty of good points as well as a few baddies... good for forcing entry into buildings, but if we are talking about using them for building entry, then wouldnt it be just as good to put things like shove knives on all appliances (or do some ppl already carry them?)

btw... has anyone actually used a recipro saw for entry through a roller door? does it work well?

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 11:39:58 AM »
btw... has anyone actually used a recipro saw for entry through a roller door? does it work well?

Many years ago and the roller door had collapsed. Needed to cut into moveable chunks.

Needed to support the metal underneath to allow saw blade space underneath and also support my weight as the operator safely. Then had some others assist to ensure metal stayed firm.

Was difficult because blade kept jamming in the joints. When better access was made, swapped to the quick-cut (motorised saw) with a metal blade.

Unsure how it would work with a standing roller door. Danger of metal loosening as you cut, then jamming blade.

Also, what would you use to make the hole to insert the blade into ?

My best guess would be to locate the locking bar on the roller door and cut that. Then you can open the roller door if the cuts dont jam in the runners ?
Andrew Macmichael

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 12:30:00 PM »

Also, what would you use to make the hole to insert the blade into ?

My best guess would be to locate the locking bar on the roller door and cut that. Then you can open the roller door if the cuts dont jam in the runners ?

hmm.. hallgian?

yeah sounds like a better idea to go for the lock...

strikeathird

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 05:56:43 PM »
If it came down to it.. (Eg - Halligan unable to force entry.).. I would jut the locking bolt / mechanism. or alternatively the hinge if you had acces... Depends how much HAlligan damage you did...  :-P

Re: making a hole for the saw... HAlligan punch and split.. That should be enough room.. You may even find the can opener on the haligan at that stage will do the trick...

Don't get me wrong, recipro's are not the do all and the end all, but they have many uses...and I believe a handy tool to carry on GP pumps.

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 09:14:28 PM »
I used our Dewalt Recipro saw at a Car v House a couple of months ago. The car took out the middle pillar of the two roller doors and after we unbolted as much as we could we found there was too much damage to the door motor mechanism and still couldn't remove the doors. We used the Recirpo saw to remove the entire brackets holding the roller door mounts on. It was a heck of a lot easier than trying to use hacksaws.

Our practical training for using the Recipro saw is done on an old wreck, you would be amazed at how quickly you can cut through the pillars and remove the roof. In the hands of a good operator you can probably have it done before the Hyrdaulics are even setup, there is some vibration but no more movement than when you cut with the tools. It's also not bad at removing doors as well. 

It's all about different tools for different jobs, there is no magic one rescue tool for all situations.

I once used a metal recipro saw blade to remove a childs head from a plastic chair he had it stuck in - radio transmission back to the station "Childs head is now removed with the use of the recipro saw, crews returning to station"  :-o

PF_

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 10:12:07 PM »
radio transmission back to the station "Childs head is now removed with the use of the recipro saw, crews returning to station"  :-o

hahahaha

What does a recipro saw look like?

strikeathird

anything