Author Topic: GRN Recording  (Read 6561 times)

Offline Tone7

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
GRN Recording
« on: November 01, 2006, 10:50:40 PM »
Does any base record GRN traffic on their local talkgroup.

Im looking at a few options of recording our GRN from mobile unit to computer.  Has any one else successfully done this yet? Both sides of the conversation not just input.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: GRN Recording
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 07:55:18 AM »
I think Lofty Group record all of their transmissions.....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 08:11:37 AM »
I think Lofty Group record all of their transmissions.....
Pip

used to, unfortunately the old tape machine has broken!  I am currently looking for a new system.

One that I've heard good things about is a PC running this software http://www.nch.com.au/vrs/.  Gumeracha group use this.  I have yet to go have a look at the setup though.  I have also heard you can do the same thing using open-source software on linux (which I would prefer for reliability as I would like to make the PC recorder like an "appliance" sitting in the corner rather than a PC), have yet to look into this.

Also be aware if you want to record all the time (not just when someone is present at the base or the base is open) you need your base GRN radio(s) to not turn off after 4-6 hrs.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 08:23:29 AM by Darius »

Offline Tone7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 10:15:45 PM »
I have been using a program called Scanner recorder pro which give you both left and right input and output.. also records in a txt file time, date, of when a transmission is made either way and for how long and some other details.

Im still working on how to record it straight from the GRN.

Im looking at the idea of a cat 5 cable plugged into the GRN mobile unit, going into a little box i make up that will have a feed going to the computer and other bits in the box so we can actually record the mic of the GRN when u hit the PTT button as the power output on the mic is so so low you cant tap into it hard wire.  So on the box it will have a outlet to connect the microphone.  So at any stage of the game you can just unplug with in seconds and plus direct back into the mobile unit.  Of course this is still in build mode and i will need to get the idea and system passed by many on the food chain...  Still a working idea.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 08:16:36 AM »
You can do this easily with a GRN scanner locked to the required talkgroup and a basic scanner recording software utility on a PC.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 08:30:56 AM »
Meningie have successfully been recording GRN (TX and RX) direct to PC with time and date stamp for a while. It works well and is good for debriefs if required. We use a scanner and the program scanner recorder. Simpe to use and very effective.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 09:23:28 AM »

yeah I know about the recording a scanner way but it's pretty dodgy.  Fine for training purposes but I wouldn't like to rely on it when it comes to brown trousers time or try to present the recordings as any kind of proof/evidence.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 03:46:33 PM »

yeah I know about the recording a scanner way but it's pretty dodgy.  Fine for training purposes but I wouldn't like to rely on it when it comes to brown trousers time or try to present the recordings as any kind of proof/evidence.

I thought all GRN talkgroups were recorded in Adelaide for evidence purposes. So other than local knowledge & information, is this not a duplication of effort ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 04:00:30 PM »
I thought all GRN talkgroups were recorded in Adelaide for evidence purposes. So other than local knowledge & information, is this not a duplication of effort ?

Not all talkgroups are recorded, I thought it was only the SOC monitored ones, (124, 111 etc), Although they have the ability to record any channel at any time...
Can anyone else confirm that?

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 06:38:33 PM »

I was told SOCC record all state and regional TGs (111, 124, 125, 093, 094 etc including 115 emerg).  The NOCC record all TGs but apparently it's next to impossible to get hold of the recordings.  I wouldn't mind knowing if the Eyre Peninsula coronial enquiry got their hands on any.  Apparently there is no requirement for groups to record their TGs but is generally thought to be a good idea.

Offline Tone7

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 09:10:24 PM »
Can confirm all Regional, SHQ, Emergency, and MA channels are recorded.

By request, at the time of an incident. I believe a talk group can be recorded. Not sure...  I would like to record our own talkgroup locally for training purposes and to cover backside.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 05:36:54 AM »
So by group base recording all radio trafffice does this mean that you will no longer need a person to scribe??? if that is correct how does that information stand up in court if needed??
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 02:51:26 PM »
You will still need a scribe....bit hard to go back over the tapes when you want to check something while the fire is still going...!

And, as long as the tape is labelled & stored appropriately, no problem with using in Court at a later time.......

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 08:52:10 PM »
Meningie have successfully been recording GRN (TX and RX) direct to PC with time and date stamp for a while. It works well and is good for debriefs if required. We use a scanner and the program scanner recorder. Simpe to use and very effective.

It seems like your brigade scanner is running quite well Adam after i programmed it for you  :wink:
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 05:19:58 PM »
So by group base recording all radio trafffice does this mean that you will no longer need a person to scribe??? if that is correct how does that information stand up in court if needed??

Scribes still needed. Six SES people were requested to CFS Region One, SES Central Region HQ to be scribes during the total fire ban last month.

Which I think is great because it will get the more experienced CFS people doing something more important than admin paperwork.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 05:41:55 PM »
thats odd... would have thought the R1ops brigade would handle that,,,,

good to see the inter-service cooperationg though  :-)

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 09:22:55 PM »

Scribes still needed. Six SES people were requested to CFS Region One, SES Central Region HQ to be scribes during the total fire ban last month.

Which I think is great because it will get the more experienced CFS people doing something more important than admin paperwork.

I'd have to disagree....scribing is NOT "admin paperwork".  In a big incident, a good scribe is a vital part of your Incident Management Team.   Just ask those who have had to appear in the Coroners Court and justify their actions....sometimes, the difference between looking like an idiot, and coming across as knowing your stuff...and in some cases, it came down to how well your scribe could scribe!!

In my paid (non CFS!) work, I have to prepare statements for Courts - and in some cases, for jobs I did 4 or 5 years ago, which I do not remember going to (but I must have, because I have the notes & photos to prove it..!)  The quality of the my notes, which were done at the time, is the difference between producing a very average statement, or something that the Court really likes, and appreciates - and doesn't ask me to come to court & explain it......

The CFS needs more good scribes   (and before anyone jumps up & down, I am not suggesting that SES can't / shouldn't do scribing) but don't look upon scribing as just an admin task.

In fact, I think CFS neeeds to put together a course on scribing...that might get a few more people involved - I suppose people are more willing to out their hand up for something, if they have some idea of what they actually need to do!!

Pip

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 02:35:52 PM »
I agree 100% with pip,I dont know how many time's I have said it to people you need to record it all not just what you feel like recording.....a course on this subject would be great and it could be part of the AIIMS course.....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2006, 06:12:44 AM »
Can confirm all Regional, SHQ, Emergency, and MA channels are recorded.

By request, at the time of an incident. I believe a talk group can be recorded. Not sure...  I would like to record our own talkgroup locally for training purposes and to cover backside.

First section is correct,however SOCC cannot record group/brigade talkgroups

Another way is a voice activated tape recorder where the AUDIO input triggers on speech.
Images are copyright

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006, 08:37:38 AM »

I'd have to disagree....scribing is NOT "admin paperwork".  In a big incident, a good scribe is a vital part of your Incident Management Team.   Just ask those who have had to appear in the Coroners Court and justify their actions....sometimes, the difference between looking like an idiot, and coming across as knowing your stuff...and in some cases, it came down to how well your scribe could scribe!!

In my paid (non CFS!) work, I have to prepare statements for Courts - and in some cases, for jobs I did 4 or 5 years ago, which I do not remember going to (but I must have, because I have the notes & photos to prove it..!)  The quality of the my notes, which were done at the time, is the difference between producing a very average statement, or something that the Court really likes, and appreciates - and doesn't ask me to come to court & explain it......

The CFS needs more good scribes   (and before anyone jumps up & down, I am not suggesting that SES can't / shouldn't do scribing) but don't look upon scribing as just an admin task.

In fact, I think CFS neeeds to put together a course on scribing...that might get a few more people involved - I suppose people are more willing to out their hand up for something, if they have some idea of what they actually need to do!!

Pip

Pip, after working in emergency operations centres for the past three years definitely AGREED. My wording was incorrect in the previous posting. Thank you for reinforcing the point.

An email was sent from SES SHQ to all volunteers on the 8th November. This was requesting registration of interest from any SES volunteer being interested in assisting CFS in "....Roles may include being part of an Incident Management Team at Level 2 or Level 3 incidents, or Logistics Support roles such as setting up and maintaining base camps; assisting at staging areas; transport of equipment, food and drinking water to staging areas; or fire spotters/observers...."
Andrew Macmichael