Technical Discussion > Terrorism

What would you do?

<< < (2/5) > >>

JamesGar:
I agree with most of what has been written. My concerns differ somewhat with work though, as an employee on shift it would be hard to say no to responding to a need from the community, regardless of nature and size. Obvious the need of safety and not putting yourselve at risk is a primary concern of mine.

I believe that if an attack with ever happen (GOd Forbid!) that it will come on a smaller level, not the large thermonuclear device. Attacks on large crowd at AAMI Stadium with an airbourne organophosphate, or other chemical of biological device would devestating, but if you believe the people further up the line the services in this state are well prepared for such an event with adequate levels of PPE, Decontamination Equipment, and antedote supplies... Believe that if you will.

Do I believe the services are equiped enough to handle such an event? No is an easy quick answer. Most some HAZMAT incidents of the last 10 years would give some proof to that, there has been a number of incidents where MFS and SAAS personel have been hospitalised after exposure to simple organophosphate ingestions (not sure about CFS personel though). I would like to see increased training and equipment for all BA brigade. Maybe Splash suits and decon equipment on all BA appliances to enable Rapid Rescue and Decontamination of immediate personel (particularly the people in green strippy uniforms lying about on the ground!).

I don't believe that Adelaide or SA is a soft target for any attack. Areas like Port Adelaide/Osbourne with the Australian Submarine Corp, and hopefully Airwarfare Destroyer Shipyard (i'm all for it for employment and infrastructure reason, not for the product!) I believe would pose as interest for some nasty bad people somewhere in the world!

I better stop now, bit lengthy and haphazard (like my brain after studying for IC Paramedic Exams!)

Catch you soon :wink:

oz fire:
Several brigades have undertaken extensive training in Chemical, Biological and Radiological threat and terrorism, including the fire service roles and how they can assist the lead agaency (SAPol) I'm sure the crews from these brigades are confident that they can pass on their knowledge if and when the time comes.

Ultimately though as Jamie has said the powers to be believe they have things in hand, and having exercised it several times in Adelaide and across SA I would like to think they have.

Fortunatley we (as a state) have also received extensive equipment and resources from the federal governemtn that will aid in testing these areas and ensure that we who aren't trained in Hazmat aren't exposed 'after' the event!

strikeathird:
With all these recent white powder incidents, I hope we don;'t start to see copy cat crimes!  Altho, I think the media have way too much input, and sometimes only create more panic, and enjoyment by both the public and little scum bags who do these things.  I think, if it was never put in the media, half these people wouldnt have a reason to do such a thing. 

So my question...

Do you think the media plays a certain part in our current lifestyle in relation to Terrorism.  And, where do you think the boundaries should lie in relation to public safety, and giving the "terrorists" to much publicity over there idiotic crimes?

I personally think there is too much media involvement, and "hype", but at the same time, think it would be too dangerous to try and curb the media involvement, becasue every citizen has the right to know what is happening, and when / where these attacks are / may be occuring..

Your thoughts?

CFS_Firey:
I certainly think the media hypes it up too much... While every citizen does have a right to know whats happening, they are probably more likely to die of cancer than get attacked by a terrorist...

However at the same time, it probably falls just as much on the politicians that encourage hype... If we started a "war on Cancer" there would probably be just as much hype over cancer...

And just out of curiosity, Does anyone know why these terrorists are attacking? Are they random attacks for fun, or is there a problem that the west is refusing to acknowledge?

strikeathird:
Well, according to media, I think the recent powder incidents were related with the Corby case in Bali...??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version