Author Topic: Burnover Training  (Read 27418 times)

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
Burnover Training
« on: January 10, 2007, 05:02:42 PM »
It appears as though some brigades are only just completing their burnover training.  What are your thoughts?

Should of been done along time ago but better late then never.
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Burnover Training
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 11:56:36 PM »
It was meant to be completed before the fire season...... which this year started early, and caught many brigades on the hop...so I think it sort of defaulted to Dec 1st - and since we were well into the fire season by then, I think it is rather poor that people are now completing the training...

But, better late then never I suppose!   

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Pixie

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 03:00:30 AM »
in my opinion burn-over training is most probably the most important training you will ever do!!

i think it is irresponsible for brigades to have waited so long to do it, its not like it takes all that long to go through!!

*Pixie*

P.S. this training saved our crews life at the Mount Bold fire last night!!
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 07:32:08 AM »
Can you tell us the story of wht happened last night? Did you get caught in a nasty spot?

Offline Pixie

• Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 11:27:10 AM »
we were driving along either razorback or saddlebags roads, not too sure which one, all i can really remember is it getting f***ing hot, embers covering the truck, and me diving into the crew protection area with my branch spraying on a fog over the top of us...

i think it happened just as the southerly change came in. And it blew it back onto us. will find out full story from officer when we have a proper debrief (rather than the one held at 3:30 this morn)
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

probie_boy

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 02:01:07 PM »
we were driving along either razorback or saddlebags roads, not too sure which one, all i can really remember is it getting f***ing hot, embers covering the truck, and me diving into the crew protection area with my branch spraying on a fog over the top of us...

i think it happened just as the southerly change came in. And it blew it back onto us. will find out full story from officer when we have a proper debrief (rather than the one held at 3:30 this morn)

we copped a similar thing. just huge ember attacks. fog made it better.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 09:11:15 PM »
not pointing the finger or directlyhaving a go at anyone... it sounds as though a lot of crews were putting themselves in unnecessary situations and high levels of danger yesterday...

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 09:55:59 PM »
When the fire covers 3kms in 15 minutes you dont get much warning....and the wind also changed direction three times.

Asset protection mode was established by pretty much all the initial responding appliances and there were many great saves and some fab work by the helitacks who supported our efforts....and no loss of life :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 07:58:11 AM »
not pointing the finger or directlyhaving a go at anyone... it sounds as though a lot of crews were putting themselves in unnecessary situations and high levels of danger yesterday...

Isn't that the domain of fire fighters :-D

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 08:21:45 AM »
I'm not gonna get involved with this discussion because I wasn't at that fire in the hills although I did listen to the whole situation unfold courtesy of the online scanners

« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:23:21 AM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 01:45:42 PM »

Isn't that the domain of fire fighters :-D

true firefrog......  :wink:

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 05:45:29 PM »
I'm not gonna get involved with this discussion because I wasn't at that fire in the hills although I did listen to the whole situation unfold courtesy of the online scanners

Thats interesting....have you done yours yet?

We have only been discussing it for the last 4 months :-D
Images are copyright

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 11:56:27 AM »
Do Group Officers do any Burnover training?  Our Group Officer sent a team off to Mt Bold fire on a truck that no one has used before. It is last years model so no one nows how to use the Halo system or the Air Breathing System in it, none of them have used this truck at all. This sounds a bit dangerous to me and silly. We tried to tell the G O that they need a little bit of training just like we did when we got it but he said its going they need the twin cab and the air con. Who can we talk to?

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 03:16:21 PM »
As our 34 is the same as yours and the only one in the group then it only goes on strike teams with a composite crew if there is someone of experience or a driver from our brigade!!! Putting a crew on a truck they have never used before is stupidity!!!! I think your GO needs to get a grip and look past the A/C and comfort and look at the safety of his firefighters.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 09:11:38 AM »
They where sent back early but they have stuffed up so much on the truck its unreal. they will be putting in about 15 near miss forms. They are also going to send in a letter of concern in to the Group so it can come up at the Group meeting. They also believe now that it should only be a composite crew, they ended up only driving at about 80kms too light on they steering for them.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 12:42:55 PM »
All our group officers have done the training as have all our brigades within the group...How ever there are still brigades in the region that have not done it and I dont think they will till someone gives them a BIG PUSH......
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 01:07:39 PM »
All our group officers have done the training as have all our brigades within the group...How ever there are still brigades in the region that have not done it and I dont think they will till someone gives them a BIG PUSH......

You hit the nail right on the head blinky all they need is a big push
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 01:15:16 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 04:22:22 PM »

You hit the nail right on the head blinky all they need is a big push

If they dont do it someone needs to give the Regional Commander the BIG PUSH for not enforcing a mandatory policy throughout the Region.OMG how many times have we discussed this.

OHS&W guys so if you are not doing Burnover Training you are also placing the other crews that have at risk because you are not up to speed with it.

EVERYONE REMEMBER THE LINTON FIRES 5 CFA FIREFIGHTERS DIED 12M FROM SAFETY
AFTER A BURNOVER......SO DO IT NOW :evil:

The front page of THE AUSTRALIAN 4th DECEMBER 1998 will be embedded in my mind forever of what happens :-(
Images are copyright

Offline saes65

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 05:44:24 AM »
With the fires we have already had and the ones we may still have in this state, what brigate is silly enough not to do the mandatory burn over training. Burnovers do happen just ask some of the crews at Mt Bold last week.
saes65

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 08:41:18 AM »
A lot of apathy is being shown with the "it wont happen to me attitude" and as professionals I would have thought burnover training would have been their priority.....but obviously NOT  :evil:
Images are copyright

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 09:43:51 AM »
People are forgeting that burnover training isn't the only important training you need to do pre fire season, Deadman zone training is just as important as burnover training, if you can understand the concept of wind speed/change + slope + fuel loading, anchor points etc, you shouldn't find yourself in a position where you need to use your burn over training. Not saying that burnover training is not important,it should go hand in hand with deadman zone.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2007, 05:03:06 PM »
I agree Jasec but unfortunately fires dont always follow the rules.
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2007, 07:46:11 PM »
Exactly Burnover Training and Deadman Zone Training go hand in hand.

Another point to make is when an appliance drives into the driveway of a house so we can turn around and face the exit point,dont follow right up our donkey only to discover you cant turn two appliances around in the same backyard :x :evil:
Images are copyright

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2007, 08:31:18 PM »
People are forgeting that burnover training isn't the only important training you need to do pre fire season, Deadman zone training is just as important as burnover training, if you can understand the concept of wind speed/change + slope + fuel loading, anchor points etc, you shouldn't find yourself in a position where you need to use your burn over training. Not saying that burnover training is not important,it should go hand in hand with deadman zone.

What we do is watch the Deadman Zone video thn go out and do the burn over drill.  thought that was what was meant to happen...

Offline loopylou

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2007, 01:19:52 PM »
As a GTO, it is pleasing to hear that people do take burnover drill seriously. This fire season has so far produced around 10 burnovers with some crew admitting that without the training they would have been in trouble. Those people who dont take it seriously and practice it often (i condone once a month during the fire season) should wake up to themselves.

anything