Author Topic: Burnover Training  (Read 27431 times)

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Burnover Training
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2007, 03:20:53 PM »
What we do is watch the Deadman Zone video thn go out and do the burn over drill.  thought that was what was meant to happen...
[/quote]

I think it is, but some brigades seem to have forgoten about Deadman zone since the burnover training has really come into play in the last couple of years.
Its been around since i started as a youngster, its just been revamped and made into an official training package.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2007, 07:46:55 PM »
It was taught in Basic Firemanship in EFS 30 years ago :mrgreen:
Images are copyright

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 06:29:06 AM »
It was taught in Basic Firemanship in EFS 30 years ago :mrgreen:
Correct, so its by no means a new thing, just has had updates and improvements to keep it in line with the updates and improvements of our vehicles.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2007, 12:41:36 PM »
One thing i have never liked about the way the burnover procedure is done is how you have to hold the branch out from under the rear cabin shield.

Would be nice to have something fitted to where the montiors go that squirts a fog of water over the crew deck.

Would this work?

Does the new cab halo system cover the rear crew deck also?
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2007, 12:56:55 PM »
cam,in the new 34 all crew must get into the cab and not stay on the rear but if they are on the rear they still have the deck lines to protect them....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2007, 01:18:45 PM »
One thing i have never liked about the way the burnover procedure is done is how you have to hold the branch out from under the rear cabin shield.

Would be nice to have something fitted to where the montiors go that squirts a fog of water over the crew deck.

Would this work?

Does the new cab halo system cover the rear crew deck also?
Halo system is just directed on the cab windows mate.

As long as you had water, I would have thought you would be better off on the rear deck under the crew protection awning that comes down..(Talking new 34's etc here) Along with the safety lines and pump control.. You have the same protection as is being offered in the cab with the blinds, only you have 2 hoselines to protect you further?

Guess you would have to experience both in a burnover to work out which is best.. & Ideally none would be the answer..

8-)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2007, 01:31:39 PM »
one thing that I didn't get taught at burn over training that has occurred to me now is that it isn't uncommon to be on 5 to 10 lengths of lay flat away from the truck. Chances are you wont hear the yelp and if you do it is any ware from 2-20 min walk to the truck thought scrub and goat country. not to mention that the conditions at the truck could be very different that the conditions at the end of the hose.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2007, 02:50:06 PM »
so what is your point?

the theory is get inside the truck as fast as possible.... :-P

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2007, 05:24:42 PM »
The point is that I might be 7 lengths of hoe from the truck and on burnt ground in a safe environment where by the time i can get to the truck the threat has passed or staying at the end of the hose is safer than running through unburnt scrub to get to the appliance where i am more likely to get caught.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2007, 05:29:11 PM »
mmm but cfs doesnt take logic into account.....

but ill let you in on a secret.... personally i wouldnt run through a wall of flame to get into the burning truck  :wink:

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2007, 05:30:10 PM »
bearing in mind, the reason yopur on that line is becasue u are at the fire edge... now when the truck burns, its gonna melt the hose, and no more water for you..... butyeh

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2007, 06:55:21 PM »
The point is that I might be 7 lengths of hoe from the truck and on burnt ground in a safe environment where by the time i can get to the truck the threat has passed or staying at the end of the hose is safer than running through unburnt scrub to get to the appliance where i am more likely to get caught.

How long is 7 lengths of a hoe?
Compton CFS Website

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2007, 08:09:12 PM »
Come on Cameron..surely you have 7 hoes on your truck, and can lay them out end for end, and work that out (taking into account that many hoes will have different length handles, due to some being broken and repaired numerous times....)   :evil: :-D
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2007, 10:24:22 AM »
depends on the what sort of hoe you are talking about?  :-D

We carry two rake hoes.  Dont need any more as there is only ever two people on the truck willing to use them.
Compton CFS Website

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2007, 10:32:32 AM »

How long is 7 lengths of a hoe?

Er hello I think you mean 7 lengths of HOSE :-D
Images are copyright

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2007, 11:32:07 AM »
HMMM yeh we can fit 7 hoes on our truck.....

there pimps get a bit upset though

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2007, 11:38:20 AM »
 :lol:
Images are copyright

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2007, 03:37:40 PM »
Haha  :evil:very funny alright I meant Hose

Offline loopylou

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2007, 10:40:12 PM »
lol just wot i needed. :-D

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2007, 05:38:15 PM »
one thing that I didn't get taught at burn over training that has occurred to me now is that it isn't uncommon to be on 5 to 10 lengths of lay flat away from the truck. Chances are you wont hear the yelp and if you do it is any ware from 2-20 min walk to the truck thought scrub and goat country. not to mention that the conditions at the truck could be very different that the conditions at the end of the hose.

Id be asking some serious question about the decision making of your officer, sector comm, or strike team leader if they are putting you 5-10 hose lengths away from the truck in situation where a REAL burnover might happen. :?
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2007, 05:46:18 PM »
mmmmm now that is how people get hurt how can you be 5 to 10 lenghts into a fire and then have to race back to ya appliance??? mmmmm some mother do have em.......always take a radio with you
blinky bill
my view only

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2007, 08:45:02 PM »
Well our GO said if we use more than 2 lenghts of hose he will come up and cut the 3 hose.

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2007, 09:05:26 PM »
Well our GO said if we use more than 2 lenghts of hose he will come up and cut the 3 hose.
Correct, using anymore than that is stupid, they are 30mtr lenghts the only time you would use 3-4 lengths is to mop up whilst making an edge safe ie 100mtr blackout and defiantly not during direct attack on a fire, you have a death wish chasing a fire that far into the scrub.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2007, 09:12:07 PM »
Correct, using anymore than that is stupid, they are 30mtr lenghts the only time you would use 3-4 lengths is to mop up whilst making an edge safe ie 100mtr blackout and defiantly not during direct attack on a fire, you have a death wish chasing a fire that far into the scrub.

I disagree... If you're working your way along the flank of a fire you can easily use 3-4 lengths while still having safe burnt ground nearby...  3-4 lengths to simply get to the fire is a different matter though... Is that what you mean?

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2007, 09:23:36 PM »
Well at onka gorge I was chasing the fire initially through thick scrub and then over burnt ground from behind so wasn't really in a burn over situation but that is an example.

In the Mt lofty rangers it is sometimes impossible to get a truck to within 60m of the fire anyway.