Author Topic: Arsonists  (Read 12379 times)

Offline Pixie

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
Arsonists
« on: January 12, 2007, 11:39:07 PM »
This thread is to voice your opinions/ let of steam about the punishment of arsonists...

I say give them the needle...

It may sound a bit extreme, but IMO arson is worse than murder... murder is calculated, Arson it is completely random who dies/looses everything... and how much is lost...

*Pixie*
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Arsonists
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 08:52:35 AM »
Im glad you brought this subject up Pixie as im disgusted with how these arsonists are running about lighting fires it seems like as if they plan their attacks carefully to avoid getting caught but it only puts our volunteer fire fighting lives at risk fighting these deliberately lit fires :x

Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 10:06:42 AM »

It may sound a bit extreme, but IMO arson is worse than murder...

*Pixie*

Wouldn't that killing be calculated too...?

Having said that tho, the arsons around Harrogate area have been declared by Police as a "Major Crime" - which opens up more funding and police resources.

While not specifically aware of the details of the fires at Harrogate (other than they are believed to be deliberate), it would appear the arsonist is getting more game - perhaps fuelled on by the media publicity over it all - and lighting over a wider area, and more often (assuming there is only the one).

One person was arrested last night in relation to one of the arsons, but it would appear that one is not the one responsbible for the other fires....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 10:35:37 AM »
Pip, now it is a Major Crime does that change the penalty if they are caught ??

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Arson
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 12:40:15 PM »
No - the offence is the same (either Cause Property damage by fire, or deliberately cause a bushfire - depending on what the investigator, & prosecutor thinks is most appropriate).

The declaration of a major crime is an administrative one - it opens up the bank account, and allows people to be seconded from other areas, to this investigation.
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline aust_fire1

• View Profile
    • Port Elliot CFS
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 07:18:43 AM »
This thread is to voice your opinions/ let of steam about the punishment of arsonists...

It may sound a bit extreme, but IMO arson is worse than murder... murder is calculated, Arson it is completely random who dies/looses everything... and how much is lost...

*Pixie*

Before you give them the needle Pixie, lets give them the bill first.

Offline ltbawds

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 12:16:53 PM »
I Think the media is also playing a part in this saga. A friend of mine just saw the media driving around trying to see if he will strike again. Maybe if it didn't get so much publicity this prick might not be so active. After all don't arsonists get off seeing there handy work?.

As for giving "IT" the needle, "screw it let him burn".

(Sorry I just can't stand arsonists)

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 12:35:20 PM »
I think if we are going to get tough then the courts need to send them down for a lot longer than what they have been doing in the past. I hate to say this but there are now copy cats going around doing it and after the jobs on FRIDAY in the hills it is more than likely he or she will be caught very soon. Now pip can correct me but my understanding of the law is that they must be caught in the act of lighting the fire before a conviction....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 01:04:41 PM »
Im not sure where i read it but in 14th or 15th century sweden anyone caught lighting a fire in the forest was punished by being thrown into the fire

Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline sapolpd

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 01:27:58 PM »
Now pip can correct me but my understanding of the law is that they must be caught in the act of lighting the fire before a conviction....

If I may, I'll add some info on this point. Not quite.

They don't necessary have to be caught in the act. If Police have statements from a witness identifying a person and enquiries/investigation can put that person at the scene and there is enough evidence, either circumstantial, forensic or witness accounts that can be tendered in court a person can be charged with the offence. The offence comes under the Criminal Law Consolidation Act. Refer to sections:

85—Damaging property
85B—Special provision for causing a bushfire

A copy of the act can be found at legislation.sa.gov.au

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 02:35:22 PM »
"IF" the person is using devices to light them with any luck one will fail and somebody will find it and they might get some good evidence from it.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 04:33:58 PM »
As much as we dislike arsonists,placing posts about them for all to see here isnt helping.

Remember they thrive on attention,and the media is giving them plenty of it at present so lets not give them more :wink:
Images are copyright

probie_boy

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 11:18:48 AM »
The needle is way too humane.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 11:36:26 PM »
Back to what they're charged with, could an arsonist also be charged with some sort of attempt to endanger life, because they would know that fire fighters have to risk their lives to put it out?

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 07:39:21 AM »
I hope that they stop, I wonder how the idiot feels after the MT Bold fire

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 09:59:13 AM »
Firebug finds new targets
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200701/s1827929.htm

Police say an arsonist responsible for a number of fires around Harrogate in the Adelaide Hills now appears to be lighting fires further afield at places like Nairne and Mount Barker.

It is believed the firebug has lit 21 fires in the past few weeks.

Superintendent Tom Rieniets says about 20 police are currently patrolling the area.

He says a team of 10 detectives and intelligence officers working on catching the arsonist has been enlarged.

"We've thrown an additional 10 detectives and five intel people into the mix to assist with the investigations that are ongoing," he said.

"We're currently looking at a number of persons of interest and they're being spoken to over today and tomorrow as we speak."
------------------------------
http://au.news.yahoo.com/070116/23/12364.html
Tuesday January 16, 06:55 PM
Five suspects in search for firebug

By 7News Police have revealed they are interviewing five men as they search for the Adelaide Hills firebug.

They have also doubled the number of detectives working on the case and have found a new use for speed cameras.

Country Fire Service crews and police patrols were highly visible throughout the Hills today.

But they were especially visible near Harrogate, where there have been as many as 30 reports of deliberately lit fires in recent weeks.

Watchful residents have provided police with 150 reports of suspicious activity and today the man in charge of the hunt revealed the list of suspects had been narrowed down to five.

"The detectives are actually speaking to those people as i speak and that will be ongoing for the next day or so," Superintendent Tom Rieniets said.

The suspects are aged between 18 and 60.

"It's life imprisonment if they're convicted of some of these offences, that's the risk that they run," Supt Rieniets said.

An additional 10 detectives and five intelligence officers have been assigned to the case, bringing the task force total to 25.

Also being used are speed cameras, which log the registration plate of every passing car.

Any one of them could place suspects near the scene of a fire.

The CFS was already on standby at Woodside for most of the day.

Then late this afternoon, they received the call for fixed wing aircraft and heli-bombers to take off.

Thankfully, that smoke sighting and several others proved to be nothing to worry about.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline wilma

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 12:26:06 PM »
just wait and see what happens this week end i know ythe harrogate area is on edge
Barossa CFS Group
Barrosa DGO 3
(Formaly Wilma)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 05:28:23 PM »
just wait and see what happens this week end i know ythe harrogate area is on edge

Wilma is right the arsonists have gone quiet since the Mount Bold fire and are planning to strike when the weather heats up again  :-(
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 05:36:19 PM »
probly buried in the backyard of omeone in harrogate..

lets try not to talk shiit

Offline wilma

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2007, 07:28:57 PM »
we can only hope
Barossa CFS Group
Barrosa DGO 3
(Formaly Wilma)