Author Topic: Denis Pumper  (Read 37365 times)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Denis Pumper
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2007, 11:51:23 AM »

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2007, 12:05:59 PM »
just get some of these
528 i mean

I think that appliance is similar to the URPs that cfs has. PTO pumps, but have secondary pumps for pump & roll. The URP is the type of appliance most brigades with big urban/rural risks should be getting. You have the best of both worlds.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2007, 12:59:48 PM »
Its about time that some brigade's wake up and look at your risk some urban brigade's are just that URBAN and so there is no need to take ya pumper into the scrub as you have a rural appliances to do that....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2007, 02:16:49 PM »
Victor MFS has one of those Isuzu's and they don't like it that much it doesn't have a great deal of locker space and is slow, they use their FL7 Volovo for everything now?? But still i wouldn't knock one back if CFS offered it!! :-)
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2007, 10:49:20 AM »
Well despite the rumours etc doing the rounds about who might be getting the Dennis, I dont think there is room for speculation.
It wouldnt be the first time an appliance which has had someones name on it get swapped at the last minute :wink:

Until its sitting in your station and you have the keys for it,its all conjecture :-D
Images are copyright

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2007, 03:00:52 PM »
just ring the region someone with a red helmet will know the truth......may be not......
blinky bill
my view only

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2007, 06:07:55 PM »
Its about time that some brigade's wake up and look at your risk some urban brigade's are just that URBAN and so there is no need to take ya pumper into the scrub as you have a rural appliances to do that....

I agree, but some brigades have such a big rural risk as well they need 2 4WD appliances, if you gave all the EMA brigades type2 pumpers and a standard 24/34, what happens if your group has a big rural job there goes your 24/34. In a group like Mawson if  H/V, M/V and Seaford all had 2WD pumpers when Mt Bold went up They would have been with out a single 4WD appliance, in short basically no fire cover for the whole southern end of Onka Gorge. The new appliances that are coming out are more than adequate for what most of our urban risks are, lets face it we are not dealing with city CBD buildings.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2007, 06:25:29 PM »
Maybe your not Jasec....

but multi storey schools and hospitals, as well as large shopping centres and nursing homes are huge urban risks....

admittedly we are not talking about 10 storey buildigns, but still....

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2007, 06:46:40 PM »
I give up when will urban brigades work out that a pumper is just that a urban pumper and that its main role is for urban fires....Having said that this year in Victoria there have been more pumper strike teams going to jobs in rural fires and they have done a great job...The other thing is to call in your next group and start stepping up appliances into other stations .......now is that not what the mfs do when they get too busy???????
blinky bill
my view only

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2007, 08:57:58 PM »
Maybe your not Jasec....

but multi storey schools and hospitals, as well as large shopping centres and nursing homes are huge urban risks....

admittedly we are not talking about 10 storey buildings, but still....

They are huge risks, but these all have boosters that can be boosted fine with 24/34Ps, and yes that is with multiple(5 to 6) hydrants going at once with the hydrants putting out 600-700 KPA, and in these days of CFB anyone knows(well those that have done the course) that you don't need hundreds of litres of water coming out your hose at 1000kpa to put a fire out.
I just know that in some brigades situations that pushing for or just receiving a 2WD pumper is not in the best interests of the brigade, due to the fact that they could find there trucks turning red before they know it.

Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2007, 09:05:34 PM »
I just know that in some brigades situations that pushing for or just receiving a 2WD pumper is not in the best interests of the brigade, due to the fact that they could find there trucks turning red before they know it.

How is that not in their interest? I'd love to be covered by a full time paid fire service...

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2007, 09:07:33 PM »
Because that brigade will be closed down. :x
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2007, 09:08:25 PM »
Maybe your not Jasec....

admittedly we are not talking about 10 storey buildings, but still....

They are huge risks, but these all have boosters that can be boosted fine with 24/34Ps, and yes that is with multiple(5 to 6) hydrants going at once with the hydrants putting out 600-700 KPA, and in these days of CFB anyone knows(well those that have done the course) that you don't need hundreds of litres of water coming out your hose at 1000kpa to put a fire out.

They are huge risks, but these all have boosters that can be boosted fine with 24/34Ps, and yes that is with multiple(5 to 6) hydrants going at once with the hydrants putting out 600-700 KPA

24/34P boosting with 5/6 hydrants operating..?   .. Sorry, but I have to ask when ?

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2007, 09:34:09 PM »
As in when does that happen or when did we try it?
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2007, 09:59:29 AM »
I have attended several flow tests in and around our area with Max McAlister *spelling, and he said the biggest issue with the trucks is they need more inlets and outlets but he can't get that thru to tech services heads... funny that, nothing gets thru to them.

If you are boosting the biggest thing is getting alot of water into the truck so you can send alot of water out again but if you only have 2 inlets and 2 outlets your screwed especially in rural areas where the booster is fed by a tank and draughting is required. Thats where the type 2's come into play with 4 in and 4 out and the 125mm storz suction. And yes i have been to a school fire where we boosted with a 24P and the appliances at the fire couldn't use any more hoses because that would have overrun the supply as the 24P on the booster was at maximum capacity. 

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2007, 11:02:28 AM »

Sorry, yeah when was it tried and what was the appliance (or more importantly the pump).

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2007, 01:15:33 PM »
All the 24p's have the storz inlet but the hoses for it were only put on from the Mills Tui build 24P, i asked HQ about getting the hoses for our 24P and was told they weren't put on the truck because they were too heavy and cumbersome for people to lift off. The only appliance from the 2000 build with the large hard suction i know of is Strathalbyn 24P??
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2007, 01:32:56 PM »

Lofty tanker has the storz inlet and 4 lengths of 100mm hard suction line.

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2007, 05:28:51 PM »

Sorry, yeah when was it tried and what was the appliance (or more importantly the pump).

The guys tried it at a large shopping centre, had 5 hydrants going (but only with 1 line of each) and did pressure tests and the lowest pressure was 580kpa. I think the shopping centre in question has high mains pressure as is, so that could have helped. The appliance was a 24P special.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2007, 06:41:26 PM »
Wasn't many 24P Specials, that narrows it down a little.. I'm guessing a 2 in/2 out Darley 500gpm pump?

I would be interested to know the flow tests / pressures before boosting started.. I don't think that appliance/ pump would perform that well with 5 simultanious hydrants operating.. - The already high pressurised mains may have made quite a difference... - Well, enough to explain those simultanious hydrant pressures while testing..

Offline CFS_fire32

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2007, 08:03:51 PM »
All the 24p's have the storz inlet but the hoses for it were only put on from the Mills Tui build 24P, i asked HQ about getting the hoses for our 24P and was told they weren't put on the truck because they were too heavy and cumbersome for people to lift off. The only appliance from the 2000 build with the large hard suction i know of is Strathalbyn 24P??

Not to stray off topic too much but...

Not sure about the purchase of the 100 mm stortz hard suction, but they were mounted on Strath 24P by brigade memebers.  Now, the stortz can be used at the Clipsal factory for boosting. 3 inlets (2 x 64mm, 1 x 100mm) and 2 outlets.
Don't really see what the issue is about them being too cumbersome and heavy, its not like they are used on a weekly basis! The 2000 24P's have a nice aluminium checkerplate platform on the drivers side on which they can be easily mounted, better than having them sitting in the back corner of the station collecting dust!

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2007, 08:08:41 PM »
^^Yeah we'll probably think about getting them at some stage but a rescue litter is at the top of the shopping list at the moment. :-)
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2007, 08:49:57 PM »
^^Yeah we'll probably think about getting them at some stage but a rescue litter is at the top of the shopping list at the moment. :-)

Careful or the SES will say your stealing their jobs :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2007, 06:26:41 AM »
So where is the denis sitting now???
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2007, 06:44:50 AM »

Careful or the SES will say your stealing their jobs :wink:

Ha Ha they know were getting it, mainly for work with SAAS etc, they can keep the hi angle rescue stuff. :wink:
Lt. Goolwa CFS