Author Topic: Body found in home gutted by bushfire  (Read 10776 times)

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Body found in home gutted by bushfire
« on: January 18, 2007, 10:00:20 AM »
January 18, 2007 09:46am
A BODY has been found in a house gutted by a bushfire south of Adelaide.

The person was an occupant of the house destroyed by the blaze at Willunga, which started about 10.30pm CDT yesterday, a police spokesman said.

The remains were discovered early today during a search by police.

"The identity of the person has not been established," the police spokesman said.

The bushfire destroyed about 15ha of grass and scrub, along with the home, between Delabole and Bangor roads at Willunga South.

About 125 firefighters took more than two hours to contain the fire, the Country Fire Service said.

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Body found in home gutted by bushfire
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 10:39:05 AM »
Does anyone know if it was the house catching fire that caused the scrub fire?
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 10:43:47 AM »
Let's just remember to discuss known facts about this job eg Already in the Public Domain.

Do not speculate or present theories.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 12:44:56 PM »
The ABC news have stated that it is believed the fire originated in the house, and spread to the bush.....
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 02:40:10 PM »
Mundoo group strike team had the unfortunate task of sifting through the house today it is definatly one of the worse sights i have seen. I have some pics of the house (from a distance) and of the burnt are but they are too large to post can anyone help me with an alternative way??
Lt. Goolwa CFS

probie_boy

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 02:46:14 PM »
Mundoo group strike team had the unfortunate task of sifting through the house today it is definatly one of the worse sights i have seen. I have some pics of the house (from a distance) and of the burnt are but they are too large to post can anyone help me with an alternative way??

What is up with the last 24 hours? You guys go to that scrubby, now you have a going house in middleton. And i bought fish and chips off your captain today! :lol:

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 03:04:52 PM »
Zorba Dundee :lol:

Yeah was 1km out of Goolwa coming back from Willunga Strike Team when pager dropped and could see smoke staright away we were on scene in about 6-7mins but hose was destroyed poor owner only bought it last week and unfortunatly winesess reported seeing 2 seperate fires going in the house....I've never seen so many bystanders on arrival before there must have been atleast 200+ people within 70metres of house.

Will have pics soon but no good action shots as usual.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 03:09:53 PM »
Mundoo group strike team had the unfortunate task of sifting through the house today it is definitely one of the worse sights i have seen. I have some pics of the house (from a distance) and of the burnt are but they are too large to post can anyone help me with an alternative way??
Shrink them down before you post...Microsoft photo editor (an awful program) but it comes with Windows, so you can shrink the images down...just make sure you keep your original pic intact....     :-)

Other image programs will do the same thing, but generally you have to purchase those programs as an extra to Microsoft (or whatever else you choose to use!)

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

probie_boy

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 03:16:02 PM »
Zorba Dundee :lol:

Yeah was 1km out of Goolwa coming back from Willunga Strike Team when pager dropped and could see smoke staright away we were on scene in about 6-7mins but hose was destroyed poor owner only bought it last week and unfortunatly winesess reported seeing 2 seperate fires going in the house....I've never seen so many bystanders on arrival before there must have been atleast 200+ people within 70metres of house.

Will have pics soon but no good action shots as usual.

Yeah, he didn't remember me from KI. Glad he didn't, if he'd given me more chips i think i'd be in an ambulance somewhere! Its holiday season mate, guaranteed bystanders!

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 06:18:32 PM »
Other image programs will do the same thing, but generally you have to purchase those programs as an extra to Microsoft (or whatever else you choose to use!)

MS photo editor for simple stuff, anything more complicated I use gimp (originally a linux program but there's a windows port as well) which is a free replacement for photoshop: http://www.gimp.org/windows/

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 07:34:02 PM »
No one really knows when the house caught alight. According to a source who was there, the house was well involved when they got to it,that was after doing work on putting out the grassy. They also had visit by the CO and a heap of RO's who where in willunga for a meeting.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline Fire_Rescue96

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 08:59:36 PM »
I was in the second truck on scene and we attacked the grass fire stopping it burning into a plantation of trees. Didnt even know a house was involved until later on in the incident. I spoke a member who was in a 14 which was the first appliance to get to the house and it had only just started to burn but with a 14 they couldnt do too much i think, not too sure on exact details or anything cause i was anywhere near the house.

Pretty sad though getting caught in your house in a bushfire, not good.
When I am called to duty, God wherever flames may rage, Give me strength to save a life, whatever be its age.

Offline robh

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Goolwa CFS
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 06:14:21 AM »
I've put some photos taken by Mundcfs and myself on our website.
    http://www.goolwacfs.org/Photos/index_8.html

Offline Broadside

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 06:38:46 AM »
I was one of the first to found the house. We had come down from the eastern side following a local farmer who told us the track we were on was a dead end. Started to work on the grass to stop it at the rack and protect ourselves. Later found out that the track went right past the house and out the other side but it was too late by then. It is a bit sad to know that there was someone still in the house. Had to wait there with one of the local cops until mundoo group took over. we were the last appliance off of the fire ground from kyeema group everyone else had already closed their stations and gone home.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 08:04:32 AM »
Yes that track led right to the house, that was defiatly a good 4wd track though.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

probie_boy

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 10:21:58 AM »
I heard that the total cost of damages was $80 000. Does this sound right to anyone that was there?

Offline calspec

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 10:47:29 AM »
Re reducing image sizes.  If use of the image programs isn't an option, try emailing the image to yourself.  This works for Win XP users - Using Start button/My documents etc, find and select the image file you wish to send. In the options panel on the left of the screen "email this file" is now an option.  Select this and "Make my pictures smaller", outlook/express is then automatically opened. Just type in your own email adress and the file comes to you in reduced size (50-70k).

Now back to our normal programming.....

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 11:41:54 AM »
Probationary one, $80k wouldn't get you much of a house these days - it would have to be more than that...

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 02:15:18 PM »
Comments in the media (and of course, everything said in the media is the absolute truth   :evil:) mentioned that the house was a converted tin shed....so $80,000 might be correct.....

Pip

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 02:16:15 PM »
pic 1
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 02:18:30 PM »
others
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 02:39:43 PM »
i just loved how they used mundoo car two to transport the body,mind you they could have been a little more gentle......
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 02:50:43 PM »
It was either take him all the way up the hill or put him in the back and drive him out to waiting funeral car!!
Come to think of it our whole strike team ate Subway off the tail gate of that car about an hour later, excuse me while i run to the toilet........................................ :|
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 03:06:20 PM »
Umm just wondering is that the type of thing we want in public domain how a group car was used to transport the body, his family might be reading this and think WHAT THE...!

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 03:08:04 PM »
well since it was broadcast on channel 7 and 9 i daresay the cats already out of the bag