Author Topic: Post Deployment Stand down  (Read 5453 times)

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Post Deployment Stand down
« on: January 24, 2007, 12:43:23 PM »
I believe that the recommendations in relation to the 48hr exclusion from response post deployment needs to be clarified.

It might be something that is developed as a Group norm but I personally believe that if you have been away and had 2 or more shifts, stayed away from home and had a travelling component, the 48hrs should be mandatory....except in the case of an incident like black tuesday where obviously any relevant paperwork goes into the nearest shredder.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Post Deployment Stand down
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 04:58:54 PM »
....except in the case of an incident like black tuesday where obviously any relevant paperwork goes into the nearest shredder.

If you are going to have a policy that relates to OH&S, then it should be utilised when the situation is the most stressful & dangerous. This is the most dangerous situation where we need to look after ourselves the most..I disagree strongly with throwing out OH&S when a multi-day deployment exists.

48 hours seems a bit long after arriving at the home base. I would have thought 24 hours would have been enough for family commitment, personal commitments, de-stress & sleep.

This is not include time for work commitments which each volunteer needs to resolve.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 05:00:56 PM »
I agree to some extent.

What if that crew went to waikerie and sat on there asses the whole time?  One nights rest would be all they need.

You would hope the volunteer in question would have the common sense not to respond if they were feeling tired etc.  but there are some cranks out there that just dont know when to stop!
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 08:04:02 PM »
SACFS Operations Management Guidelines-40

Rest period on return

Upon return crews will be expected to remain "off duty" for a period of two days.During this time they are not expected to attend any incidents

48 hours everyone :wink: 
Images are copyright

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 08:38:31 PM »
I think 24hours is plenty besides it says they are not "expected" to attend calls not "must not" attend calls??
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline lilmiss_firey

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 10:10:09 PM »
but how long do you have to be away for the 48 hour response exclusion to occur??

like if the deployment only went for a couple of days... as in 36 - 48 hours... shouldn't it be a shorter time..?

:? :? :?

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 05:50:25 AM »
SACFS Operations Management Guidelines-40

Rest period on return

Upon return crews will be expected to remain "off duty" for a period of two days.During this time they are not expected to attend any incidents

48 hours everyone :wink: 
me SA firery

I assume that this is only a guideline and not a black and white rule.
I believe you, your brigade and group needs to be sensible about how they approach this rule.
You really need to base your decision on your personal needs ie family, work and how hard you actually worked whilst away. If your tasking was full-on take the time off, relax. If it wasn't yeah turnout, but remember if something happens to you when on a call, when you should be taking this 48hrs of rest there will be a few please explain going on.
A fit and refreshed firey is the way to go, not a firey that is so wornout, a poor decision they make or action could not only affect them but his/hers fellow firefighters.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 07:08:55 AM »
this thread discussion is my point exactly...it's too open for interpretation and not mandatory enough for exceptions.

If you think about a deployment....most are more than 1 day, you are away from you own bed (and I personally don't sleep well on deployments) travel time, for some may be hours worth and then you may have to return to work the next day...48hrs is definitely needed to recover...

As for those who have said, they don't have to respond if they are tired...right, and if the bells go, so does your adrenalin, feel tired, nope, going....many are NOT that responsible to rest, which is why I believe it should be more black and white...

and yes, the main issue is OHS, something we base ALL of our SOP's etc around...why should this issue be excluded...

how many firies would actually stand themselves down if they started to fatigue on the fireground???   :?

I have seen some go past the point of being able to function effectively and start making stupid decisions because they are too tired...

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 08:03:47 AM »
Yes getting the required amount of sleep is very important and it often takes about two days to fully recover but. I know my brigade has just lost a few members  and suddenly we have about 15 people who can make an initial response sometimes less.

eg we had a fully crewed truck at one of the Harrogate fires they got home at 21:30 then at 00:30 we got called to one tree hill and ran a crew of 4 after scaring from another brigade while that was happening we had a fixed alarm back at home which 3 people made the truck. that is very rare for our brigade to get this  kind of frequency but it was stretching the limits. 

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 07:56:06 PM »
Group reinforce this policy :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 08:37:46 PM »
This has alway been a issue with in my brigade,members have come back from say a tour 3 days been informned you are not allowed on station or at call outs for 48 hrs and that is that.. But you dont hear they sat around or they drove around the fireground and did nothing.... Does this rule apply to paid staff????
blinky bill
my view only

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 06:22:33 AM »
Thats a very interesting point 5271, can anyone confirm this. I would hope the same rules apply to paid staff.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 07:13:55 AM »
I think that you will find that staff have very strict stand down procedures...I know if they are going to a night meeting that they aren't at work until late...

Timbo

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 10:06:43 PM »
I think that you will find that staff have very strict stand down procedures...I know if they are going to a night meeting that they aren't at work until late...

I think you will find all is allowed is a 37.5 hr week (or whatever the EBA states as 'normal hours') (as all governent departments do), as O/T needs to be justified.  Hence night shift means no day shift.  So if IMT or 'on calls' do 12 hour shift overnight, they will have time off to balance it.