Author Topic: Burnover Procedure (skills maintenance drill no 1)  (Read 5346 times)

Offline loopylou

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Burnover Procedure (skills maintenance drill no 1)
« on: January 25, 2007, 01:09:20 PM »
What does the forum think of the production of a sticker to go in cabs and rops outlining burnover procedure.

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Burnover Procedure (skills maintenance drill no 1)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 03:09:21 PM »
It could be a good idea, depending on the size of the sticker. Id say in the limited seconds you have in a burnover it wouldn't be any help, but when your spending time on the back of the truck driving around you will all ways have it there to remind you of the steps.
This also may sound abit harsh but its not a hard thing to remember if you do proper training on it. The thing that some people get caught out on is that when they practice it, they only practice it doing the same role ie crew, driver, officer. For people that could find themselves in all roles, they should practice all roles.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 10:12:17 PM »
In short i support the idea if you wish to know why read on

Well I once read ,sorry i can't remember the source, about a very unlucky man who managed to be in nemourous fires and disasters. After the first while he was young one he developed a  habit of always noting exits and where to go in an emergency. this saved his life on at least 2 occasions the most notable being the world trade center where he was working on September 11 and had learn t the emergency exits and the stair ways so at the first sign of trouble he knew what to do.

This example of how pre planning is nessecary to stop people panicking and keep alive shows how our training is important but the frequent refresher of the sticker in the cab can be benifical.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 11:31:04 AM »
CFA appliances have a sticker listing actions in burnover in the cab.

We have a A4 laminated sheet which was issued supposedly to all brigades.Nice glossy one
Images are copyright

Offline loopylou

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 08:28:10 PM »
Thanx for the feedback all. :-)
Yeah, we have those laminated A4 sheets as well, but they're a bit impractical to have on the back of a truck, so hence the sticker idea. Didn't know the CFA had them. They didn't when i was a member back in 2000. Any chance of getting one? or a pic?

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 05:49:55 PM »
what a waste of time, more money down the drain,come on people if you do the training each year you should all know what to do.......and how big will this sticker be and where would you put it???
blinky bill
my view only

Offline alphaone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 06:32:11 PM »
what a waste of time, more money down the drain,come on people if you do the training each year you should all know what to do.......and how big will this sticker be and where would you put it???

5271 I counter your claim that a sticker such as the propsed would be a waste of time. I do not think it would be a waste of time or money, because no matter how much training we do, in high stress situations people will panic and a constant visual reminder when we are in the appliances can only be a good thing. It will subliminally refresh our memories on what to do and instinct should take over.

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 09:37:22 PM »
Maybe we should stick a big deadman zone sticker next to it!!! :-D
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 10:25:45 AM »
part of our training is to expect the unexpected..... so in good training, we learn not to panic, but to react and counter the situation as required.

another sticker/another form........ im sure it will never end, but with good training we may be able to eliminate the need for quite so much stuff!

Offline loopylou

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 12:56:09 PM »
Yes, I can see your point when it comes to money spending etc, but it is positive reinforcement of learned procedures to see something during moments of boredom on the back of a truck or in the cab. And there are plenty of places you can put a sticker that is readily visible. And asking the newer members in my group confirmed that any help while new to the job is great help.

anything