Author Topic: Hypothetically speaking  (Read 5690 times)

Offline alphaone

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Hypothetically speaking
« on: January 29, 2007, 03:07:47 PM »
Say a member of an SACFS brigade that is in a metro fringe area, or any area for that matter, and is in paid employment, but whilst at work has to but up with his/her collegues harrasing him/her about being a vollunteer fire fighter. Say one of the harrasers is in management and so there for this memeber can not complain as nothing will be done. how should this situation be dealt with? :x

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetically speaking
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 03:15:49 PM »
Kick the person in the nuts and burn their house down :evil:

Kidding....

I don't know why someone would harrass a work mate about being a vollie FF, maybe it's time to look for a better job where what they do in and out of work is better rewarded??

If that person is in a union go see them.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 03:20:18 PM »
you laugh sarcastically then stop suddenly showing them ya middle finger.  Or you say have I shown you what CFS vollies do reach into ya pocket and pull ya finger out with middle finger extended again going "ooooooooooooooh ohhhhh ooooooooohhhhh."  Or just tell em to Get F'd!

Well okay bit immature but it works sometimes otherwise just go higher or speak to an accomplice of the harrasser or someone above them.  Or go to the union they should be able to help.  

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 04:30:05 PM »
Remember there is also SPAM that the CFS offers and also similar types of support offered by many companies nowadays to help deal with personal issues.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 07:37:55 PM »
i dont see why anyone would harass you about it?

seems to me they are just retards... be the better person and just forget it. but dont forget that if it is a big issue, then go straight to the boss.

if this management dude is harrasing you, go above his or her head....

Offline loopylou

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 09:26:08 PM »
Invite them along to a training night to see exactly what it is you do. or take in some photos (not too sensitive) and leave them lying around (in a staff room?) for them to look at. It might change their perspective on things a bit.

Offline littlejohn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 06:28:43 AM »
I don't think there's an easy answer. Twits like that will always be twits, unless they see something worthwhile done by you/your brigade.

The attitude (at least of those I've run in to who think like that), is generally born from an ignorance of what the CFS does. I don't bother trying to change their attitude anymore. Of the times they've asked what we do and I run off a list of jobs, they ask 'Why the f would you want to do that?' No community spirit, only worried about themselves.

Good on you for sticking it out in such a scheiße of a work place. Personally, I'd be keeping an eye out for a job elsewhere, but I've no idea about your situation.

Offline alphaone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 10:38:05 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys, some of them are abit unsutible, ie telling them to get f'd.
I did invite them to come along to the station on a training night, however as little john said they are only interested in them selfs.
I'll probably find out who the union rep is, however I am looking for another job anyway as my job is very boreing, no variations.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 04:52:24 PM »
Did you ever find out why they were angry ?

Maybe they were the victim of an emergency, where they lost something and you are the easy target of blame because you represent an emergency service, rather than blaming the organisation who responded !!

Talking sometimes helps resolve the source of the conflict. Sometimes a person grieving (even if they do not know they are) will not be able to discuss it.

The VSO's are trained to assist in a volunteer workplace conflict.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Pixie

• Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 10:31:14 PM »
I had exactly the same problem with a manager harrassing me about being in the cfs...i asked where he lived, not actualy adress, but suburb, and it turns out to be in our primary response area...so i told him the way it was and that if his house burnt down he would be very F*cking lucky to get a red truck there...

He hasn't said a word about cfs since,

*Pixie*
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline alphaone

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 02:02:42 PM »
I think I am making some headway with some of the people that harrase me, however, the manager in question lives in a CFS area, and I too told him once that he aint getting no damn red truck to his property, but he still gives me grief about the CFS and being a volly.

I'll give him up as a lost cause. All they need to know is I joined because I want to do something for my community and this way I also get to meet some really great people.

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 06:33:43 PM »
Just tell him to remember your face when his house is burning down, cause he might not see that face when its on fire if he doesnt stop being such a f/wit.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 09:43:58 AM »
I think I am making some headway with some of the people that harrase me, however, the manager in question lives in a CFS area, and I too told him once that he aint getting no damn red truck to his property, but he still gives me grief about the CFS and being a volly.

I'll give him up as a lost cause. All they need to know is I joined because I want to do something for my community and this way I also get to meet some really great people.

IGNORE HIM...........HE WILL GET MORE SATISFACTION BY YOU BITING..IGNORE HIM :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 06:57:15 PM »

IGNORE HIM...........HE WILL GET MORE SATISFACTION BY YOU BITING..IGNORE HIM :wink:
[/quote]

Very true, very true. Showing my liking for a good sH*# stirring in my last post.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

anything