Author Topic: Building bridges CFS/MFS/SES and others  (Read 7722 times)

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Building bridges CFS/MFS/SES and others
« on: February 18, 2007, 05:15:10 PM »
One reason I wanted to start this topic was to be the 1000th topic LOL  :-D
No seriouly, I'm interested in a practical and positive discussion of ideas about how we can build bridges between emergency services across the state. Being operational in Mt Gambier has opened my eyes to lots of politics, miscommunication, arrogance and....well I'd like to hear from others about things that have worked in their area or ideas they have to get everyone rowing in the same direction.

Cheers,
Blue

Offline Benji

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Re: Building bridges CFS/MFS/SES and others
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 05:36:50 PM »
Likewise..

We have recently had a change of leadership and with that has been a change in attitude towards the other local services, all for the better. But it takes a bit of retraining from both sides of what the can do and does and if there are problems, let it be known don't just sit on it until it becomes so big ministers get involved.
Ben(B2)
Crossdressing SES & CFS member

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 07:13:24 PM »
Personally I think it will be a long hard road but hope it can be achieved. Personally my experience working with non CFS services very good. I don't really have a solution other than to get everyone to do the basic jobs of all the services which is to save and protect lives. 

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 07:31:02 AM »
The only ones who make it not a nice place to work, are the voly bashers in this world :roll:
Images are copyright

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 07:39:07 AM »
The first key to building those bridges is for everyone to realise their service is not the be all and end all. When that is achieved we need to learn that we are here for the same reason ( much easier when the first point is done!)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 08:02:35 AM »
I would suggest that within a local area, the local heads of service (brigade captains, unit manager, SFO, etc) organise a BBQ or social event together.

Even if only two of the services and maybe 5 people get together, then it is a start. If this is made regularly, then barriers will be broken down slowly.

The emergency services should include everyone that you could work with. This could include CFS, MFS, SES, Volunteer Coast Guard, Sea Rescue, SLSC, Salvo's, Red Cross, SAPOL, etc, etc....

Lets show the community that we are a force with alot of capabilities.

I am sure that funding can be arranged from Volunteer Associations, Volunteer management Branch or some other source.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline loopylou

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 09:32:13 AM »
I'd go one better than that and have communication between the different services training officers/captains and try to organise the occasional training night and familiarisation night together.
Doesn't have to be a major 4 hour event using all the available resources. Just a simple walk-through or demo of gear followed by the barbie (and beer).

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 11:09:55 AM »
Just make it one service then we'll be right.

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 01:09:58 PM »
Well, we've done BBQ's, that has been really good, but at every one I've been to there are orange coats, blue shirts and yellow jackets all standing in flocks LOL  :lol: I agree with the idea but it has to be more than just 'put on some grub' an effort should be made by both sides to meet and greet. Maybe some of those wonderfully uncomfortable corporate training 'getting-to-know-you games'  :-) with butcher's paper  :evil:

And we've also had a bit of shared training amongst the services, and we're looking into qualified people from each service training others in areas they are less familiar with eg MFS train CFS in FIP's, CFS train MFS in grassfire containment, ForestrySA teach us all how to put out forests....it has been raised, so it will be interesting to see if this does pan out.

I'm thinking what you're thinking B2, a change of leadership that is sympathetic to or has previous experience with other srvies is generally easier to fire up about such opportunities.

Has anyone done any cross-service competitions? Does that create more animosity or does it help? I'd be keen to do them but have the teams mixed up so you're forced to work with others....any experence shared is appreciated. Or maybe it is something we all whinge about but noone has tried to solve  :cry:

Offline loopylou

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 09:55:05 AM »
I like the idea of cross service comps. If u manage to do it keep us posted.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 11:00:20 AM »
....Has anyone done any cross-service competitions? Does that create more animosity or does it help? I'd be keen to do them but have the teams mixed up so you're forced to work with others....any experence shared is appreciated.....

Any suggestions of what activities this could involve ? The only common theme seems to be RCR, casualty handling and driving. Everything else is a speciality to a particular service.

For example, Rescue competitions are held by SES each year, Fire fighting competitions are held by CFS each year. The only common cross agency competition at the moment is RCR.

Any good ideas & I will chase the possabilities.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 11:20:23 AM »
That would increase the importance of having a dynamic team :)

Offline 2090

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 11:28:42 AM »
The only common theme seems to be RCR, casualty handling and driving. Everything else is a speciality to a particular service.

RCR, Low Angle/Vertical resuce, Confined space rescue...?

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 11:46:49 AM »
They don't have to be related to the job we do it could just be problem solving and team building games... everyone can fill a 44 gallon drum with water from buckets in some sort of relay no matter what they are tained in.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 02:59:35 PM »
We generally try to "catch up" with other services fairly frequently. Most of the time it just a simple walk thru of their station/unit whatever followed by supper and a coffee or beer. At public displays we ensure that all emergency services are put together in the same lot and also the occasional inter agency training is always good.  Works pretty well but there are always the same one or two that whinge :roll:

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »
I heard that a 'tug of war' competition was done at a country show a few years ago. One emergency service verses another.

Sounded good.....
Andrew Macmichael

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 03:57:43 PM »
I think for this to work there are a number of steps to take first,I can see that to move forward we have to try and resolve the past.There are areas that need working and there are areas that have been missed that should be looked at. I would be all for a open forum were volunteers/ses/mfs all came together at a regional level but we need to make sure that this is a OPEN forum not one that is picked at regional level where they pick the names of who gets to go....

This state could learn alot from the workings of CFA paid and volunteer stations that are all under the same roof,the UFU in its bad old days in Victoria did try lots of tricks to stop Volunteers and paid staff working but it backfired. Staff and volunteers can work out of the same station and if you have never seen it work then go have a look. I would have to say that the Portland CFA staff have a good working relationship with its volunteers as do other staff stations that I have been involved with in the past 25 years. I am all for change and trying to fix the problems,as BOB say CAN WE FIX IT?? well yes we can if we all can leave the past at the door and move forward as a one fire service here to serve the community.
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 07:38:29 AM »
News just at hand - seems we're moving that way from the top, with the three CO's signing an agreement that essentially says we will respond the nearest appliance to enable efficient service.

Seems all a bit 'well, der' to me. House burning, send nearest appliances, don't care what colour. Person trapped in car, send nearest appliances, don't care what colour.

I've heard that someone in a CFS brigade stated that they wouldn't stop at a house fire in town because it's 'not their area' and they would have to wait to be called  :? Hmm, but here I am proliferating the he-said she-said, which is a huge part of the problem as I know there are miscommunications that only serve to fracture relationships  :oops:

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007, 09:45:52 AM »
Sounds like they way to go closets resource to the job,funny I am sure that is how other states work,but yes a good way forward and one that will at last help heal the wounds of some members(cfs/ses/mfs)
blinky bill
my view only

anything