Author Topic: Why did we join the CFS?  (Read 6891 times)

Offline lilmiss_firey

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Why did we join the CFS?
« on: February 19, 2007, 07:29:41 AM »
there hav been a few negative threads been coming up recently (not saying that that is bad or anything)... and i thought there should b a thread just on why we joined - to bring back maybe some better memories!!!

(there maybe a thread like this but i haven't been able 2 c 1!!)

i'll start it off... i came because of the flashing lights and sirens -  it seemed the perfect way 2 get an adrenaline fix (for free 2  :lol:) but now im here lol.. i hav found it is a little more than sirens!!!

What r some otha reasons??....
 :-) :-)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Why did we join the CFS?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 07:42:28 AM »
Protect our community 8-)
Images are copyright

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 08:21:49 AM »
My dad was in the service, used to come home and tell these "cool" stories.  8-)

So I wanted in on the "coolness", a bit of a rebelioous streak as well because he wasnt keen on me joining, so stayed at a mates place one training night and just rocked up.

Didnt leave him with much of a choice after that :D hehe

What can I say, its grown on me since then, have a bit of a thirst for knowledge and there is lots to learn!

Offline loopylou

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 09:03:11 AM »
I originally joined because i saw some firies training one night and went over and had a look at their gear and nice shiny red trucks (CFA)
I joined the same night and was doing jobs a couple of months later.
Then came the cameraderie, learning new stuff, doing jobs, teaching the new members, community service etc..... As soon as i arrived in SA i went straight down to the nearest brigade and joined up.

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 01:35:36 PM »
The men in uniform  :-D
So many reasons....
There is definately something awe-inspiring about being part of a group with its own language, uniform and equipment, sharing 'war stories' that only CFS people understand, being part of a team effort to protect the community and often saving lives, riding lights and sirens on the back of an appliance with the wind in your hair around your own home town (darn those closed cabins! Its just not the same!  :-P), having an instant extended family no matter where you travel in the state, and everyone there is volunteering their time - R-E-S-P-E-C-T  :mrgreen:
I also wanted to put myself waaaaay out of my comfort zone in order to learn new things. But I'd still rather shoot a cat out of a tree with a 64 on straight jet. Sorry.

Offline alphaone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 01:42:20 PM »
I joined because I like to help the community and feel as though I am a part of ther big picture instead of just my small neighbour hood. I also JOined because I like to learn new things and the camardiere of the members not only with in my own brigade but the CFS as a whole makes it all worth while.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 04:03:51 PM »
Well my mum gave me an ultimatum "find something like a social/community group or get a job" and CFS sounded much better so I went down one Monday night and had a chat and was amazed. Since then it has changed to being in a respected community and the ammount of training that we get as i enjoy learning. 

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 11:29:25 AM »
Well my mum gave me an ultimatum "find something like a social/community group or get a job" and CFS sounded much better so I went down one Monday night and had a chat and was amazed. Since then it has changed to being in a respected community and the ammount of training that we get as i enjoy learning. 

But did you get a job as well :lol:
Images are copyright

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 01:47:19 PM »
Well that was to do during year 12 now that's over i need a job :|

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 03:04:22 PM »

A girl :-P

Offline lilmiss_firey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 03:26:19 PM »

hahaha... mostly guys join things more female orientated 2 find a girl... rather than something that only has a small percentage of girls!!! lol  :-P :-P

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 07:19:54 AM »

hahaha... mostly guys join things more female orientated 2 find a girl... rather than something that only has a small percentage of girls!!! lol  :-P :-P

Quality, not quantity Miss Firey  8-)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 08:09:15 AM »
Show each other a firetruck :lol:
Images are copyright

Offline lilmiss_firey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 07:36:04 PM »
true lol... i spose yeah at least there is a similar interest there... haha and i do know of ppl who do show a picture of their trucks 2 each otha!! - as they hav a pictures on their mobile (as some of us probably do)!!

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 10:08:42 PM »
getting the thread back to why we joined  :wink:
I was on holidays and football had just finished, so being a teacher I naturally had a whole stack of spare time  :wink:
decided I wanted to join a volunteer group, and spoke to someone who knew same area i was from before i moved, randomly discussed things and they said they were in the CFS and I should come and give it a go, nearly chickened out on the first night, being scared about meeting scary fire fighters, and dont think ive missed a training since.
Have made a great bunch of mates (even though some of them don't know that a deck of playing cards is the same viewed upside down  :lol: ) and really enjoy the feeling of helping out...

anything