Author Topic: K.I Deployment (28/04/05 - 30/04/05)  (Read 3632 times)

strikeathird

K.I Deployment (28/04/05 - 30/04/05)
« on: May 03, 2005, 12:14:32 AM »
After recently being part of one of the strike teams sent to K.I last week, I have to say a commendable effort made by all..

BUT... An EXTRA round of applause goes to the Salvation Army Vollies (and there Emergency Services, Kitchen on wheels)!!!

These guys were up before us, to cook us breaky....Were active all day, preparing our lunches etc (which were brought out to us)  and stayed up after us, making us Dinner and Desert!  

Thanks guys!  Couldn't have done it without you!

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 11:31:22 AM »
MYGOD!! I have to totally agree there! They were absolutely fantastic, and did an excellent job with the limited resources they had…
 :lol:
Also, thanks to the St Johns volunteers for coming over… and we can’t forget the SES… …the incredible effort they made to put up those tents… …and they managed to stay clean the whole time… :P

Offline FF_Rayner

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 04:13:29 PM »
After being on a strike team for about eight hours once, returning back into the oval to find hot food and a great smile on the kitchen ladies face was beyond my imagination.

GOOD ON YOU GUYS!! :wav:
The old logo is much better

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 11:47:23 AM »
Dont forget that there is always a huge effort put into these things, it just doesnt quite always go to plan......  :roll:

none the less its something we should never take for granted, as it wouldnt take much to slip back into the good old days of starving to death on the fire ground.

It all makes our job that little bit easier to do, and is always appreciated......  :D

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 06:25:48 PM »
Things have certainly improved from the time we were over there a couple of years ago and got sent to a rat infested hall at Karratta in the middle of the night, then when we all complained about the bird crap on the floor and the vermin running around us we were bussed to the local school at Kingscote to sleep on floor of the basketball gym.

That was the night after we slept in the toilets and changerooms of the Parndana footy club.

Those were the days...  
:roll:

strikeathird

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 11:19:59 PM »
hahaha...

Well, we had the luxuries of Parndana Footy club...

And to be honest, luxury seems a good word comparing to what u encountered.

We had individual tents (could share if u wished)

Were given an Air Matress (Filled with AIR by the SES prior to recieving it :D ) , our own sleeping bag, our own pillow, hot breaky, lunch, and dinner, clean (yes clean) showers and toliet facilities...

I guess when your over there to mop up, they figure they should take care of us  :P   :D

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 02:33:15 PM »
Positive outcomes following lots of debriefs over Kangaroo Island Fires :lol:

Congrats the the team across Region One and KI who have put alot of work into sorting out logistical nightmare when fighting fires on the island - sure beats sleeping outside under a tree in the middle of the day as we did a couple of years ago at Vivone Bay!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

anything