Author Topic: Dennis Arrived  (Read 20631 times)

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
Re: Dennis Arrived
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2007, 11:34:12 PM »
I think PUMPRESCUE made some sense with that last statement!

I don't agree with the way things have been done by the MFS but it could be time to take stock and keep as much of what you have now than fight and lose out. :-(

But good luck i don't envy the position your brigade is in but progress will always happen. :-)
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline calspec

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 02:55:05 PM »
I really don't see how or why Seaford CFS's work load or call rate would suffer to any great extent if and when there is a Mets unit operating in the area, either from their own station or from a day crew/truck stationed locally.

Seaford is an EMA brigade, surely they will continue to be responded to jobs that come up in their area, be they urban or rural jobs. So they may be co-responded with MFS more often than they do now, so what - we can all work with MFS with out any reason for prejudice or concern.  Heck we are all about the same thing, serving the community and putting out fires, saving property, reducing losses etc etc.  An extra truck at a job can only be a gain not a loss. The most important factor in "Serving the Community" is the last bit - the Community.  If the community groups have got together any shouted for an improved service - and that is NOT a reflection in anyway of Seaford, then let them get a red truck.  To some extent the community is responsible for its own fire response times - after all who is it that serves as CFS members - the local community

CFS was never intended to be able to respond as quickly as permanently manned MFS stations, and to cop any flack for not getting to a going fire as quick as would be expected of a premanent crew is REALLY BAD FORM!

Go Seaford, enjoy your new urban appliance.  Hopefully it serves you better than it did Mt Barker. As for the future, who knows what that holds with SACAD, SAFECOM etc, I expect that there could be significant changes to the way incidents are responded to across the board.   My guess is you'll retain an urban appliance and one rural - probably 24, maybe a 34 or 34P in the not to distant future and Logistics will return to the third bay.

Hey, but that' just a personal point of view.  End Rant

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 05:01:12 PM »
one can only hope they dont take it to scrub or running grass fire's :roll:
blinky bill
my view only

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2007, 12:58:37 PM »
Seaford is an EMA brigade, surely they will continue to be responded to jobs that come up in their area, be they urban or rural jobs.

lol - although i am sure they will head out to jobs since MFS cant really handle anything rural.... Seaford will no longer have an "area" since it is being gazetted as MFS response?

Offline calspec

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2007, 05:15:02 PM »
Mack, are you suggesting that with the introduction of an MFS crew that covers the "Seaford area" that Seaford CFS will no longer be responded, at all, to urban/structural/RCR etc jobs that they otherwise would have been responded to?  Surely dual response, not singularly MFS only.

It would seem to COMPLETELY DEFY LOGIC OF ANY KIND to exclude an already locally established volunteer fire service that has equipment and training to respond to urban calls, just because there is a permanent crew now stationed in the area.  Quite simply I don't (I refuse to) beleive it!  Um...So what is Pumper for then!!??

I think there will be a red truck at urban jobs, and a white truck, when Seaford can crew it.  The red truck is just "insurance" to ensure that someone responds.

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2007, 07:29:20 PM »
the only mesning behind my post is that it seems Seaford wont have an area... as u said of course they will do dual responses, but they will have more of a role in the rural side of things than urban. Cant see a need to send them to every rubbish fire or carfire for instance

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2007, 10:30:08 PM »
What does this have to do with Dennis Arrived :evil:
Images are copyright

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2007, 05:05:21 PM »
So how is the DENNIS going are you guys at seaford happy with it and has it been to a call out yet????
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2007, 05:46:02 PM »
What does this have to do with Dennis Arrived :evil:

Seaford Pumper On Scene....

THE DENNIS HAS ARRIVED.....HAHAHA  :lol:
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Jono

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2007, 07:00:51 PM »
So how is the DENNIS going are you guys at seaford happy with it and has it been to a call out yet????

So far it has gone to about 10 call outs I think. I really like it.

The tank was fixed on it, they found a leaking pipe in the line. The window is all sealed in properly with some extra angle this time. So far we havn't had any problems with overheating of engine or brakes. The hose lines rewind fine as long as you have the revs up to keep the air compressing. There's a few little things we need to fix on it still though.

- Theres two gaps in the cab straight into the engine bay, that very warm air flows into the cab through.

- Need to have the A/C looked at, it's not working.

But so far it's gone ok
Jono
Snr 2
Seaford CFS (Mawson Group)

BLEVE

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2007, 09:25:56 AM »
- Theres two gaps in the cab straight into the engine bay, that very warm air flows into the cab through.

Er, that's not air, that's called carbon monoxide.....  :|

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2007, 11:11:32 AM »
just to go back to the seaford rise residents association crap, they are just a grey haired extension to the ufu gossip factory, two of the members pictured in the local news paper are ex mfs firies.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2007, 11:25:31 AM »

Er, that's not air, that's called carbon monoxide.....  :|

Err doesnt it have an exhaust pipe :-P
Images are copyright

Offline firedragon

• Forum Recruit
  • I FIGHT WHAT MOST FEAR
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2007, 11:36:54 AM »
yes it does the gaps jono is on about is the heat from the motor not  carbon monoxide....

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2007, 11:40:02 AM »
yes it does the gaps jono is on about is the heat from the motor not  carbon monoxide....

Exactly...10 points
Images are copyright

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2007, 12:18:12 PM »
At least it will be nice and warm in there in the winter.  :-D
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2007, 04:42:38 PM »
i drove it last night and it stinks up pretty quick, they will have to get it looked at, any Mt Barker guys have this problem?
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline Crankster 34

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2007, 11:07:58 AM »
Probably should be taken off line then, I think there is something in the OH&S regs about having to provide a safe working environment, sitting in a closed up truck filling with Carbon Monoxide fumes doesn't sound safe to me.

At least with the BA sets in the cab the crew in the back will be ok, pity the driver and OIC though.

The Dennis curse continues...
Crankster on scene, you can take a stop...

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2007, 06:54:42 PM »
No-one has mentioned about a hole in the exhaust. So my interpretation is that the 'gases' are being piped away, and it is simply the heated AIR entering the cabin.

?? Am i on the right track??

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2007, 07:05:33 PM »
No-one has mentioned about a hole in the exhaust. So my interpretation is that the 'gases' are being piped away, and it is simply the heated AIR entering the cabin.

?? Am i on the right track??

I think it is just heated air, by referring to stinky i was mean the hot engine smell you get after driving for a while, and the engine in the Dennis is by no means modern. Take it for  drive with a gas tester in the cab you will soon find out whats in the air coming from the engine. The CO level in the cab only needs to be at 7ppm for it to be over the legal exposure stantards without any breathing protection.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

pumprescue

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2007, 07:13:53 PM »
I think you will find this is the case with any fire appliance of this age with engines in the cab, and for info, the engine was new in 2002.

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2007, 07:42:05 PM »
Your right, but you can feel the air coming from the engine compartment through a 10cm x 10cm hole im not sure it should be happening. It would have been a engine of the same age just rebuilt.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2007, 08:44:41 PM »
Seaford pumper must be getting a good running 2day with the number of callouts just in one day :o  Good that morphett vales givin a lil backup :)

Offline calspec

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2007, 10:06:28 AM »
Giving the old girl a good work out I see....

11:47:38 06-04-07 MFS: RESPOND Private Alarm 06/04/07 11:46,2 SEAFORD RD,OLD NOARLUNGA, MAP 195 K 13 ,,SMOKE DETECTORS ON EAST AND WEST SIDE OF SHOP CALLED WOOD N LOGS,DAILY INC. NO. 22,8334 8124 431*CFSRES:

12:50:01 06-04-07 SHQ: *CFSRES: SEAFORD & MORPHETT VALE RESPOND UNKNOWN FIRE, STARBOARD RD, SEAFORD. FIRE IN REAR OF YARD. < 06/04/2007 12:49:48PM

17:50:10 06-04-07 SHQ: CFSRES SEAFORD & MORPHETT VALE RESPOND BUILDING FIRE 22 GRIFFITHS DR, SEAFORD - KITCHEN > 06/04/2007 5:50:00 PM

19:52:51 06-04-07 SHQ: *CFSRES: SEAFORD & MORPHETT VALE RESPOND TO RUBBISH FIRE CHURCH HILL ROAD, OLD NOARLUNGA < 06/04/2007 19:52:41

22:35:39 06-04-07 MFS: RESPOND GRASS FIRE 06/04/07 22:35,COMMERCIAL RD,SEAFORD, MAP 205 J 1 ,,NEAR KFC,DAILY INC. NO. 57,8334 8124 431*CFSRES:

5 Calls in a day, NOT BAD, got to be some sort of record?  Pumper would have been despatched to the majority of those I would imagine.  Oh, and by "NOT BAD" I mean for enthusiastic members of a volunteer brigade, Not Good for those affected by the incidents in any way   :roll:

pumprescue

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2007, 02:40:25 PM »
Dennis does get hot quickly but the engine cooler kicks in without fail, have run that truck during summer to various grass fires and long distances up the freeway without a drama, the brakes tend to stink a bit but nothing to stress about.

I heard seaford changed the pump settings in the back so it only runs in volume, you should run it so it pumps simultaneously volume and pressure, the pump will give you a lot of water and damn good pressure.