Author Topic: Scrub Fire - Bridgewater  (Read 13101 times)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Scrub Fire - Bridgewater
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 02:47:41 PM »
more
Images are copyright

Offline car31

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2007, 03:41:14 PM »
Love the look of the LED's on the front of Lofty car!!!

:-D

Offline Jono

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 04:39:52 PM »
I was there, though by the time we got there things were fairly quiet. Just alot of falling trees.

First fire call in 8 weeks for me :)
Jono
Snr 2
Seaford CFS (Mawson Group)

BLEVE

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 05:05:41 PM »
I ended up in the Engelbrook reserve, off Wattle Ave.  It was fairly steep terrain, a heavy fuel load, and very very dry...that  was until the bomber hit us.  Three times directly, six times next to us.

Things were going ok when we lit a small back burn...it burnt hot, but was controlled.     (Pic attached)

Then I discovered the fire that had snuck up from the bottom...burning very hot.  (pic attached)

And then we found the fire had jumped the track we were using to back burn from, and then things got interesting....we called for bombers due to the break out, went scrub bashing in a hurry to try and catch the break outs...

While it might not have looked too big & nasty on the news, they left the area about 15 minutes before it all went crazy... my guys were on channel 10 news (thanks Matt!), as they extinguished the back burn (but that is another story).

This fire certainly had potential to take off and destroy nearby properties, and to trap firefighters - but crews worked really hard, and did very well to contain it....   Luckily, we had very little wind, so at least something was in our favour!!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007, 05:40:24 PM »
well that makes it sound like i missed something :-(.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 07:21:58 PM »
sounds like a job well done by all,nice to see the MFS got a run into the hills and once again loads of happy photos......all we need now is the GRN pager site back :roll:Look its still dry and after the news footage tonight nice to see the public have been doing their bit to clean up around their homes........NOT
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2007, 09:42:41 AM »
I was involved at the group base and one of the first comments the lofty D.O. said when he came in from the fireground Wed night was all crews did a top job.  This was later passed on to CO Euan and the minister when they visited later that night.

The fire at the bottom was in some sort of reeds and the ground was all "peaty".  I spent yesterday out there mopping up and we had a flare up in those reeds that got out into new unburnt ground, fortunately it was caught quickly.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2007, 09:43:34 PM »
Had the pleasure of speaking to Emergency Services Minister Carmel Zollo and Eaun and spoke very highly of our contributions to the community....well done everyone :-D 
Images are copyright

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2007, 10:18:43 AM »
Were there two jobs reported not far apart or was it one job?

Cos i was reading it as in the harndorf area but it was right on bridgewaters donkey?

the initial page was barker, littlehampton & harndorf.

Seems a bit odd is all
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2007, 12:57:46 PM »

believe it was one job but initial info (presumably from 000 caller) was Mt Barker Rd Hahndorf.  10 mins later SHQ responded Bridgewater, Mylor and Stirling (why it was Stirling instead of Aldgate is one of those mysteries).

probie_boy

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 06:57:05 PM »

The fire at the bottom was in some sort of reeds and the ground was all "peaty".  I spent yesterday out there mopping up and we had a flare up in those reeds that got out into new unburnt ground, fortunately it was caught quickly.

i was there thurs as well. that peat bog was not a fun thing to extinguish. i remember after I volunteered with another guy in my crew to take over from you and another of your crew I immediately thought "why'd I say yes to this?" it was shocking.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 07:23:08 PM »
yeh i was there on thursday evening....watching the east side where totally nothing was happening cept a kangaroo!!!

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2007, 01:17:17 AM »
believe it was one job but initial info (presumably from 000 caller) was Mt Barker Rd Hahndorf.  10 mins later SHQ responded Bridgewater, Mylor and Stirling (why it was Stirling instead of Aldgate is one of those mysteries).

I didn't call it in, but if I had, I would have said a similar thing - East of Mt Barker Rd at the Hahndorf freeway exit (which is actually closer to Bridgewater, not Hahndorf itself). Just makes me think that was what the caller may have said but it got lost in translation.

I pity the poor person who ever has to take a 000 call from me "Um, well, I'm somewhere on the road between Keith and Naracoorte...."  :-D

anything