Author Topic: Black Tuesday DVD  (Read 10536 times)

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Black Tuesday DVD
« on: May 12, 2005, 10:39:08 AM »
Hi all,
Has anyone had a chance to have a peek at the Balck Tuesday DVD distributed to Brigades. Haven't seen it yet but hopefully it's in the post box when i check it!
Adam, Meningie

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
In the post
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 12:03:19 PM »
It should be coming between 9 -15 May, this info was from the latest  Firefront e news :!:

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Black Tuesday DVD
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 11:07:12 AM »
It's excellent, also has some of the old favourites like 'Getting on with the job' and some Ash Wednesday vision on it.

strikeathird

Black Tuesday DVD
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 12:15:22 PM »
Can we get a personal copy of this?  Or purchase it ?

Offline Benji

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Re: Black Tuesday DVD
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 06:10:15 PM »
Does anyone know if the DVDs are available for purchase or if copies were/could be sent to the SES units that assisted?
Ben(B2)
Crossdressing SES & CFS member

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 06:15:25 PM »
Does anyone know if the DVDs are available for purchase or if copies were/could be sent to the SES units that assisted?

Speak to your RO, if they cant get you a copy PM me your details and ill see what i can arrange.

Cheers

Mike

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 01:21:08 PM »
Yes We Watched This Last Night At Training, The DVD Is Very Good & I Would Love A Copy.  I Was Going To Copy The One That We Were Sent, However It Seems To Have A Few Graphic Problems Or It Was Burned To Quick.

Mike,

Can You Get An Original Or Were You Just Going To Burn A Copy.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 02:25:02 PM »
Might be something to sell on the SA firefighter online shop? :?

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 04:05:26 PM »
Was planning on burning it if required........

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 04:07:50 PM »
Might be something to sell on the SA firefighter online shop? :?
Yes Any Word On When This Online Shop Is Looking At Starting?

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 10:55:15 PM »
Due to a major stuff up by the company used to distribute the DVD about 50 brigades are yet to receive their copy, it should arrive within a week or so. The affected brigades should all have been contacted by tomorrow notifying them of the problem.

strikeathird

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 12:09:41 PM »
Is it possible to get a personal copy ?

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 10:26:03 PM »
In the DVD, they say that some international reporters found it hard to believe that the CFS are volunteers...

Does that mean that they don't have volunteer fire-fighters in some other countries? What countries are they?

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 03:33:09 PM »
Many countries don't have volunteer fire fighters.

We take the CFS model for granted! In Qld, NT and populated parts of WA it's retained (therefore paid) fire fighters who look after the towns and population - the volunteers only do bushfires (this was the model also in NSW until a push from the RFS there that was supported after the 94 fires) So volunteer fire fighters who provide a complete fire and rescue package as career fire fighters do is not common place world or Australia wide.

This is a great reason to be proud of your service - it is a complete service and we offer the community many, many benefits and services - we are becoming a one stop shop - and more over We are GOOD at it!  :wink:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Good times

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2005, 05:44:43 PM »
Be nice if our leaders remembered from time to time that we are more than a bushfire brigade, so much emphasis on the rural work that the rest of what we do is hardly mentioned.

strikeathird

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 03:29:33 PM »
AUS and the USA are really the only two major countries with vollies, that play a major role.

E.G  Not just Rural work.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2005, 01:36:46 PM »
AUS and the USA are really the only two major countries with vollies, that play a major role.

E.G Not just Rural work.

Is that true? I know Canada has volunteer stations with enourmous budgets and great equipment that handle all kinds of things. The now VFBA president, Ken Schutz, went to Canada and did a spiel on it at one of our VFBA meetings. I also tend to recall volunteer fire department web pages from European countries. I might research it when I get time (ha ha ha).
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005, 01:48:04 PM »
OK, couldn't help myself and found some time:

From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia:

French firefighters are called Sapeurs-Pompiers, and reflecting the rural nature of much of the country (wide areas with low density of population), the Volunteer Fire brigade (SPV, sapeur-pompier volontaire), with over 190,000 firefighters is the largest firefighting force in France.

In Germany there are about 25,000 fire departments - 24,000 volunteer fire departments (Freiwillige Feuerwehr), 800 private fire departments (Werkfeuerwehr; which mostly protect large industrial complexes) and 100 public fire departments

I'd say volunteers provide a major roles in those countries  :-D
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

strikeathird

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2005, 11:36:14 PM »
I said two major  :wink: :-D   - didn't say other countries didn't have them  :-P

Good times

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2005, 12:42:49 AM »
You right, there are many European countries that have volunteers, but in America you have cities the size of Adelaide and bigger runing with vollys only, but there also seems to be more of the almighty dollar to go around over there, and they also encourage higher memberships and for people to hang around the station when not working so that the turnout times are lower than we could ever imagine, would never happen here, I don't fancy sitting in a tin shed all day on a plastic chair!!

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2005, 10:41:24 AM »
its amazing to think that US departments have that much money, but still cant establish a national standard...

strikeathird

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2005, 01:57:32 PM »
Over in the states, there are many vollie stations that rotate shifts, and are actually at the station.  LIke, in a 4 week period, you are rosterd on the first Mon and Tue day, of the month , and Second Mon and Tue night of the month.. (Total example, can be more shifts, can be less)  - So they are out the door in no time.

Yes they have a heap more money, and also often larger areas to cover.  But Ive seen some vollie stations that have 2 Engines (Pumpers) , a Tower Ladder, a Rescue, 2 chiefs cars, and 2 brush attack units...    Shows how much more $$$$ there is....

But, in saying that, they do things very differently to us.  Most stations are individual stations, they have different tactics,  etc etc.   LIttle hard to explain.

Good times

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2005, 05:27:24 PM »
Over there (USA) each station is its own department, so cost savings etc don't exist. Its good in a way here that we are one organisation, but on the other hand they have more freedom to purchase what they like to suit their area instead of getting a cookie cutter truck.

strikeathird

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2005, 06:39:21 PM »
I like there equipement etc, but hate there tactics.  Too many F/F's are lost every year over there!!

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2005, 03:46:10 PM »
I like there equipement etc, but hate there tactics. Too many F/F's are lost every year over there!!

All you have to do to see that is watch Ladder 49... All the actors in that Film had done the fire fighters training, and did as they were trained in the movie...  Thats a worry...