Author Topic: what does the VFBA do????  (Read 5349 times)

rescue5271

what does the VFBA do????
« on: May 16, 2005, 03:12:56 PM »
After going to a VFBA meeting the other night a few comments where made about what does the VFBA really do?? How do other people see the VFBA and does the VFBA need to visit more brigades and groups rather than have a regional meeting???
I can see some room for the VFBA to come out and meet more members on station or in a tin shed some where rather than at a regional level, I know these group of people are there for the volunteers but really what do they do and what have they done for you of late??

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 04:53:33 PM »
Yeah, while I appreciate what they do for us, I've never met any VFBA members... Probably not a good thing seeing as they are supposed to be representing the volunteer, rather than the group/region.

Having said that, any problems we have can be brought to them via our VFBA rep, and I think we have a training night coming up, where a member from the VFBA will be giving us a lecture... So while there is no real need for them to meet us, its a very nice idea...

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 10:43:21 AM »
Its always good for an organisation to actually know who they represent. Think of it like a lawyer trying to represent someone they've never met or spoken to.... We know they exist, we have seen their pictures in the volunteer occasionally, but what do they acually achieve for the ???? well your guess is as good as mine......

They do help get the volunteer mag out to us, and i dont know about anyone else but i reckon there is always some good reading in that..... something to keep in the back of your mind when trying to nut this one out.....

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 11:15:13 AM »
But does the VFBA do the mag anymore? The CFS media team seem to be heading the mag up and have been for sometime.
I would be happy to host an ongoing news article on the acheivements of the VFBA.

rescue5271

VFBA
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 10:20:30 PM »
You are correct firefrog the CFS media do the mag not the VFBA did you know that CFS only print 7000 copies of the mag but does not the CFS have almost 17,000 members???? Dont get me wrong I like some thing that the vfba do and was just seeing what other think about the vfba.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 10:07:34 AM »
It's a pity the VFBA didn't take the mag back.

The current style (if it can be called that) is shocking. The designer is obviously colour blind and has way to much money.

When the VFBA produced/co-produced the magazine it was informative, useful and a good recourse - now it looks like a barrow for a design company and individual to try their own flair/style - not a very good attempt either.

On information flow, the VFBA is there for all of us, the issue though seams to be getting the information out to all. Maybe Ken Schultz and Wayne Thorley could use forums like these to keep as many as possible/interested informed of VFBA activities, achievements and alike.

Hopefully they will also look at the mag and its audiance and suggest a clearer format!

Just my thoughts :wink:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

rescue5271

volunteer mag
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 01:52:00 PM »
Some of you may know that the media section is about to tour most cfs regionsand chat to members and visit places,how many of you feel that the prsent style mag is over the top?? how many of you would like to see the mag become a newspaper style say like the CFA??? At a meeting last week wayne and ken said that the present volunteer mag was the best of its type in Australia,how ever it does not get out to all members.

So if you are not getting the Volunteer contact the media section at H/Q or visit the CFS website.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 04:38:42 PM »
We had the people who do the http://www.fire-brigade.asn.au/ website come down & get some station stats & photo's.

We have a member that goes to the VFBA meetings & he advised that if anyone wants to know about what the VFBA does let them know & they are happy to come down.

Good times

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 06:20:33 PM »
You think the Volunteer mag is worse now, well I am totally the opposite, it was crap for sooooooooo long , its never been better. I understand that they don't spend that much on it, most comes from advertising. Mind you, if you don't like it, don't get it!!!

strikeathird

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 11:19:35 PM »
Agree with GT ^^^  -  think the current magazine outdoes the old one, 10 to 1 !!

But all are entitled to there own opinion.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: what does the VFBA do????
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 01:42:27 PM »
Fair comments - however my comments were based on style only. The article content is good, the photo content great, the regional raps is ok however the colour scheme is shocking.

Again my thoughts only, however I will continue to get the Magazine as the stories are great, it's infomative and is always a good read - I'll just wear my sunnies :wink:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Steveg

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 02:07:01 PM »
how does a person go about getting on the mailing list for the mag?

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 02:12:49 PM »
how does a person go about getting on the mailing list for the mag?

So if you are not getting the Volunteer contact the media section at H/Q or visit the CFS website

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005, 05:42:10 PM »
Last night we had Wendy Shirly from the VFBA come and give us a lecture about the VFBA. This was really good, as it allowed us to ask questions, and find out a bit about what they are trying to do for us, and when we can ask them for help... I recommend that everyone tries to get one of these lectures to their brigades...
The VFBA has put out some glossy brochures about what they do, and what they have planned – If you haven't go them yet, I'm sure they'd be pleased to send some out to your brigade. :-)