Author Topic: Brigade Meetings  (Read 3266 times)

Offline littlejohn

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Brigade Meetings
« on: April 09, 2007, 01:32:48 PM »
Does your brigade actually hold them?
If so, how often? And is it a full brigade meeting, or the management group (if indeed such a thing is utilised in your brigade)?

I had a flick through the act the other day and read all these exciting (??) things about the management group etc, and having had a yarn to the odd other volly, have come to the conclusion that meeting regularity & existence of a management group is pretty directly related to the size of the brigade & the number of jobs attended (not really rocket science, I 'spose).

We run monthly brigade meetings, but only a handful of people turn up. Mind you, the meetings used to run for 3 hours! Now they're ususally ~ 40mins, and it's much easier to get through things when there aren't many people on deck!

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Brigade Meetings
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 02:14:01 PM »
for a brigade that averages between 80-100 jobs a year we have a full brigade meeting every first monday of the month (which IMO is too often, i'd like to see them become an every two month type thing) and an 'executive' meeting made up of certain brigade reps (brigade management i spose) every two months, which is where most action usually happens anyway...

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 02:36:22 PM »
we have a officers meeting and a brigade meeting each month and they take about an hour or little over an hour.....Dont know how some brigades work with only one meeting a year and thats the AGM......
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 06:37:39 PM »
We run a brigade meeting every 2 months works really well and sometimes they only last 30-40mins.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 11:35:37 AM »
Brigade meeting once a month and an Officers meeting when required.

Offline Baxter

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • ho ho ho its fire fighting time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 01:09:24 AM »
I've been running a monthly Brigade meeting but have found that to do things correctly I have to put up with a lack of quorum and that means having a management committee to facilitate decision making as my back up. I do find it perplexing that some members that I rarely see in the station can make comments on how a Brigade is run if they are not wanting to be a part of the Brigade nor attend anything but, just want to be members for the sake of __________ (well i really don't know why). If the SA CFS wants to progress it needs to explore and develop ways in which Brigade can move forward in ways that encourages those, who don't like change or Brigades that are mouse like quiet in participating and contributing to at least to group level discussions. Even though a quorum and Brigade meeting is a nice way to have a accountability it does not mean a professional culture is developed.  - rant now concluded!
keep it simple for sanity skes please

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 05:19:59 PM »
I was in a brigade that had a rule along the lines of.

Attend training at least once every three months & callouts once every 6 months.

I think that was it.  Pretty relaxed but was at least some grounds to keep vollies active.
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

anything