Author Topic: Rescue Gloves  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Rescue Gloves
« on: April 26, 2007, 07:50:33 AM »
Who has used the red/black PT Rescue gloves and how would you rate them compared to the Crossfire rescue gloves.

We have always used the Crossfire gloves and i find them quite comfortable/usable, but never used the others.

Our unit is looking at swapping types, so any opinions welcome.

Cheers

Offline filtered

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Rescue Gloves
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 08:46:57 AM »
I'm not sure if it's that brand - but one of the new popular brands of rescue glove are not allowed as they don't meet the Australian Standard as they don't have enough kevlar in them.  This was discussed at a brigade upskill session.

Best check with the guys at the training centre before you start to make any decisions...

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 09:08:33 AM »
Hmmm.... interesting, we got a pair to look at, and I have to say, that is one of the first thoughts that struck me.... The construction gives the impression that there are only kevlar pads - in strategic places, that dont offer a huge amount of protection.

Will see if i can find a photo of them... ( dont hold your breath though!  :-( )

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 09:23:48 AM »
A link to the PT hydraulics page:

http://www.pthydraulics.com.au/rescue/miscitems/gloves.pdf

these are the ones.....

Offline filtered

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 10:08:26 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure if they were the ones or not...

They were a similar design, though.

The rationale behind them not meeting standard was that between the pads you are still exposed to possible cuts if you touch something the wrong way.

I really don't know what the Australian Standard says.  You'd be best to contact Greg Stone or Corey Frazer at the training centre for more advice.