Author Topic: new members  (Read 2950 times)

Offline Baxter

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • ho ho ho its fire fighting time
    • View Profile
new members
« on: May 21, 2007, 12:34:16 PM »
At a recent meeting between myself and the SES we started on a line of discussion about what we do to recognise new members into our services. SES seems to provide members with a membership certificate and a badge (same type as those wonderful safety first badges that got around last year just after the burnover drill). The Certificate that SES provides is not something that can be hung on the wall but enough to say welcome with a generic letter from there CO. I wonder if the CFS has given this some thought as this maybe a new may in which we can retain some members by recognising that they are donating their time.
keep it simple for sanity skes please

pumprescue

Re: new members
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 06:41:30 PM »
I remember about 2 years after I joined I got a welcome to the CFS letter and badge from CO Allan Ferris. But can't say I have heard of anyone else getting one since.

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 08:45:16 PM »
I kind of liked the idea of getting crappy old turn out gear until you finish your probabtion or get through your BFF1, then you can make a fuss over newbies by presenting their new turnout gear (if they get any!), a name tag and hook (if your station has one, or a locker or whatnot) and of course a pager and a key to the station.

I got a welcome letter from CFA when I joined and a booklet all about the service. That was pretty good, but it was alot of info to take in from a colour glossy. When I joined CFS I got an induction package, but no one went through it with me. I even still have the part of the paperwork that was supposed to be retained by the brigade, oops...

I think we should give all new people a pack with the latest (and the older ones we are trying to get rid of LOL) brochures and information sheets on fire prevention and safety, as they often become a provider of information to the public when they tell people they have joined.

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 05:55:09 PM »
Great point about new members becoming experts Blue.
It is so true.
When people find out you are in CFS they expect you have been in it for 10 years +
I recently did a fire extinguisher course for school and instructor had been a met for 10 15 years + i think ,and when he found out I was in CFS he had asumed i had been to all sorts of incidents and been doing it for ages,so kept on referring to me for CFS point of view,
found myself doing the old "smile and nod" routine.
Made me feel important tho!!    :-D

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 07:38:38 PM »
The hardest part is getting new a member and holding on to them,I think once people have done their BFF1 then they should get some sort of welcome letter from the boss or from the region. I know in the past that at our group BFF1 course the group officer or one of his DGO'S did a welcome and thank you talk for a few mins....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 07:11:23 PM »
I remember about 2 years after I joined I got a welcome to the CFS letter and badge from CO Allan Ferris. But can't say I have heard of anyone else getting one since.

Got a generic "thanks for becoming an emergency services volunteer" letter from the then Emerg. Services Minister (I believe Brokenshire(sp)) ..