Author Topic: Driver Training Course  (Read 4473 times)

Offline Smokey Bear

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Driver Training Course
« on: June 28, 2007, 05:40:08 PM »
Those who have done this course what is involved in the course?

Any idea of a regional timeline?  I think region 1 have finished theirs?

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Driver Training Course
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 01:09:20 AM »
Region 5 is starting this week I think, as did region 4....

Unfortunately, I haven't got onto the course, but some of my brigade did...came back saying a worthwhile course....learnt about safely navigating hills, and what sort of angles you shouldn't get yourself into, driving in sand, stall recovery.....

Not sure what else they covered, but the drivers from my brigade were very pleased with the course.

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 11:28:28 AM »
My Group start there in the middle of July some have done it before and said its a good one to do.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 11:33:42 AM »
Does the course cover 'lights & sirens' driving or 4wd driving ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 11:50:37 AM »
I believe it's just off-road techniques, and I hope region 1 is not finished as there were many booked or planned to do the course before it was cancelled (due to rain, unlikely as that sounds).

There is still no training to address the fact that many people get a car to MR licence upgrade then drive an 8-10 tonne truck priority 1 and that for most people that is the only truck they drive (ie. so are not doing it every day, like driving a car).  But as per the off-road course, it will take a tragedy like Mt Bryan before the CFS does something about it.

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 04:37:17 PM »
There is still no training to address the fact that many people get a car to MR licence upgrade then drive an 8-10 tonne truck priority 1 and that for most people that is the only truck they drive (ie. so are not doing it every day, like driving a car).

I'm going through driver training with MFS at the moment. The MFS package states that although there are road rule exemptions for emergency vehicles, MFS has further requirements and procedures, hence the extra training. Eg speed limits through intersections under priority 1, use of hazard and warning lights in various circumstances, etc. So although I can drive priority 2 with an MR license, I can't drive priority 1 until I pass all the training and assessments.

Sounds logical to me, I always assumed CFS had something similar? (I'm not a driver with CFS yet)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 05:29:13 PM »
...There is still no training to address the fact that many people get a car to MR licence upgrade then drive an 8-10 tonne truck priority 1 and that for most people that is the only truck they drive (ie. so are not doing it every day, like driving a car)... 

SES have the same issue, thus my question. The SES problem is especially complicated in the metropolitan area... I understand a course is being considered. Hopefully it will be combined so that all agencies do the same or similar.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 05:30:53 PM by bajdas »
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 07:36:09 AM »
I am doing it sunday so i hope I can get a few photos,there  is a precourse assingment with 18 question very straight forward the team is down here for 10 weeks at this stage.Region 5 and 6 are the only regions to be getting local training from the guys that are doing it at STC,so as to accommadate our needs we can do the course on monday/friday/saturday/sunday. Shall let you know how i go,aslong as there are no gates I shall be fine I think????
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 05:02:34 PM »
I am doing it sunday ... Shall let you know how i go

Did you return the appliance in one piece? Any gates?  :evil:  :lol:

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 09:33:42 PM »
Well I forgot the camera sorry pip,but it was a great 4 hours of driving and learning new skills..I am not going to let any cats out of the bag but I really hope that all members will in turn get a go at this course.No blue I could not find any gates only on the way back to SAFOREST.....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 05:05:45 PM »
Well I forgot the camera sorry pip,but it was a great 4 hours of driving and learning new skills..I am not going to let any cats out of the bag but I really hope that all members will in turn get a go at this course.No blue I could not find any gates only on the way back to SAFOREST.....

Why so secretive? Let us know what you thought of it  :-)

What's that? There are still a few gates left on ForestrySA reserves?  :-o Surprised they havn't been nicked!  :roll: