Author Topic: Interesting Fire and Emergency Related Paging  (Read 4563585 times)

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Fire and Emergency Related Paging
« Reply #3200 on: January 09, 2012, 03:36:24 PM »
Interesting then, i've seen them responded there before but with no Moorak 34.
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: January 09, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »
Moorok 34, Murray bridge 24P and port macdonnel 34 had all defaulted  to K7 , relocated to, Dalkeith station, hence why the system reccomended them.

No operator error in this case.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: January 09, 2012, 07:37:26 PM »
1909066 04:50:27 06-01-12 CFSRES VICTOR: URGENT STRIKE TEAM REQUIRED FOR 8AM DEPARTURE TODAY FOR LOWER FLINDERS. RETURN MONDAY. PHONE GC ON 8552 3210 IF AVAILABLE. FROM GO. VH-Base 6/1/2

1909066 04:14:27 06-01-12 CFSRES OPS SUPPORT: IMMEDIATE RESPONSE OF OPS SUPPORT BRIGADE TO VICTOR GROUP CENTRE TO ASSIST WITH ASSEMBLY OF STRIKE TEAM. FROM GO. 6/1/2012

I am curious as to whether 0430 recruitment for Strike teams and resources are really warranted given that this incident has been going for at least 3 - 4 days now..?? Whilst I fully appreciate that any fire can be dynamic and resource requirements can change rapidly, I would have thought that the resources required would be better understood (rather than a new, escalating fire) and that recruitment and acquisition of resources would occur in a more timely manner.

I am not being critical but rather making a constructive "outsiders" observation and asking whether this is the norm and / or appropriate for an incident that is 'not new' so to speak and that a 'Reduced Threat' message was issued last night...

ANy thoughts / feedback...???

Yep. I was on the IMT that made that decision. We identified due to increased fire activity overnight, and a chronic change in weather forecast received at 0300 that we were going to need more resources than had originally been planned for. Reduced Threat was replaced at 0530 with a WAM.

Why not some crews from R4 and the top of R2 organised at short notice for a say 6 hour shift to allow the crews from further afield to get there. I agree a 4 am wake up for a strike team 5 hours away is a bit tough

misterteddy

« Reply #3203 on: January 09, 2012, 08:04:18 PM »
Moorok 34, Murray bridge 24P and port macdonnel 34 had all defaulted  to K7 , relocated to, Dalkeith station, hence why the system reccomended them.

no operator error indeed (which is a good thing), so now let's praise a system that can achieve this for which no operator, no matter how inept could achieve

Offline FlameTrees

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: January 09, 2012, 08:35:29 PM »
1909066 04:50:27 06-01-12 CFSRES VICTOR: URGENT STRIKE TEAM REQUIRED FOR 8AM DEPARTURE TODAY FOR LOWER FLINDERS. RETURN MONDAY. PHONE GC ON 8552 3210 IF AVAILABLE. FROM GO. VH-Base 6/1/2

1909066 04:14:27 06-01-12 CFSRES OPS SUPPORT: IMMEDIATE RESPONSE OF OPS SUPPORT BRIGADE TO VICTOR GROUP CENTRE TO ASSIST WITH ASSEMBLY OF STRIKE TEAM. FROM GO. 6/1/2012

I am curious as to whether 0430 recruitment for Strike teams and resources are really warranted given that this incident has been going for at least 3 - 4 days now..?? Whilst I fully appreciate that any fire can be dynamic and resource requirements can change rapidly, I would have thought that the resources required would be better understood (rather than a new, escalating fire) and that recruitment and acquisition of resources would occur in a more timely manner.

I am not being critical but rather making a constructive "outsiders" observation and asking whether this is the norm and / or appropriate for an incident that is 'not new' so to speak and that a 'Reduced Threat' message was issued last night...

ANy thoughts / feedback...???

Yep. I was on the IMT that made that decision. We identified due to increased fire activity overnight, and a chronic change in weather forecast received at 0300 that we were going to need more resources than had originally been planned for. Reduced Threat was replaced at 0530 with a WAM.

Why not some crews from R4 and the top of R2 organised at short notice for a say 6 hour shift to allow the crews from further afield to get there. I agree a 4 am wake up for a strike team 5 hours away is a bit tough

Regions 2 and 4 were already pretty heavily committed. At the end of the day, state decides which region gets the tap on the shoulder.
"is that negative as in yes, or negative as in no" - actual radio transmission from the field.......

pumprescue

« Reply #3205 on: January 09, 2012, 09:55:08 PM »
You people do realise you can say no and there is no strike team, pretty simple really.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: January 09, 2012, 11:01:51 PM »

no operator error indeed (which is a good thing), so now let's praise a system that can achieve this for which no operator, no matter how inept could achieve

Insert Facebook style 'like'

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: January 10, 2012, 09:37:04 AM »
I'm curious Alex (or the other AF guys reading this) how SACAD can still dispatch the likes of Ironbank instead of Iron Knob, Stirling instead of Stirling North etc, given it's location/map-based and computer/database recommended appliances?  It was understandable it could happen occasionally with BOMS where an operator not paying enough attention could pick the wrong entry in a drop-down list but if the operator is now out of the equation, how does it still happen?

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: January 10, 2012, 09:03:43 PM »
Those accidental dispatches have only occurred where additional appliances are being added to jobs and are human error due to confusion with call signs being given over radio (ie flinders group BWC calling themselves "stirling tanker") and operator error in comms with confusion over shortened callsigns.

Please keep in mind that shortening your appliance callsigns on radio is sometime more of a hindrance than a help.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:51:04 AM by Alex »

pumprescue

« Reply #3209 on: January 11, 2012, 09:01:29 AM »
Pretty sure the short name for Stirling North and Stirling is only 1 letter different, same with Iron Knob and Ironbank....

The human still had to put the data in to start with.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3210 on: January 11, 2012, 09:16:56 AM »
And it was the humans choice to have two Stirling's and a Iron Knob in existence :P

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: January 11, 2012, 09:41:26 AM »
could be worse, there could be an iron baron brigade
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline fire8029

• View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: January 12, 2012, 06:24:01 PM »
12-01-12 19:48:02   WYB188 PR: 3 - IRON KNOB-WHYALLA RD NO SUBURB D0824 Disp: 19:47 Traffic / T - SAAS Unit Whyalla

I have never seen a priority 3 job before?

Offline fire8029

• View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: January 18, 2012, 08:23:18 PM »
18-01-12 21:47:25   MFS: *CFSRES INC0113 18/01/12 21:47 RESPOND ROAD CRASH RESCUE P1 LINCOLN HWY NO SUBURB MAP:C/395 53,CALLER: ==20KM NORTH OF WHYALLA, POSSIBLY SINGLE VEHICLE ROLL OVER :IRKB14 WHY29 : - CFS Flinders Group Officers Response
18-01-12 21:46:51   WY181 PR: 2 - : 20 - 30 KM FROM PORT AUGUSTA TOWARD WHYALLA STUART HWY NO SUBURB D0877 Disp: 21:45 OTHER EMERG - SAAS Unit Whyalla

There is a big difference in Km's there

Offline straps

• View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: January 20, 2012, 08:40:44 AM »
1909111 09:54:36 20-01-12 MFS: *CFSRES INC0032 20/01/12 09:52 RESPOND MINOR CLEANUP, COWELL RD/TUNGALI RD MOUNT CRAWFORD,MAP:C/179A 54,TG 096, ==DEBRIS REQUIRED TO BE CLEARD OFF RD FOR TOUR DOWN UNDER :SPRG34 :
CFS Barossa Group Officers Response

Surely the event should / would have its own 'clean up' crew..??? This should be done by an "Advance" or "Scout" car with a broom and shovel in the boot or maybe a petrol driven blower..???

If its in relation to this - http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/nails-found-near-mt-pleasant-an-hour-before-tdu-event/story-e6frea83-1226249261012 then maybe I stand somewhat corrected and could understand the need..!?!?!?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:19:37 AM by straps »

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: January 20, 2012, 03:37:58 PM »
The pager message & the article are related

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: January 20, 2012, 04:05:41 PM »
The pager message & the article are related

Pip

But still a completely unnecessary wayste of emergency service resources and time. That is NOT an emergency.

But until we start refusing to attend these bullshit things, we will keep on being responded.

Offline riptide

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: January 20, 2012, 04:25:25 PM »
i beg to differ, doesnt matter when its called in...bike event or not, if one of the tacks or nails went into a high pressure bike tyre it can pop, and if the rider is at speed around a corner, will most probally result in injury, ...injury prevention is than the cure

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: January 20, 2012, 04:56:50 PM »
Everything else about the tour down under has had massive amounts of planning, and contingencies...... not sure why there wasn't a clean up crew too!!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Fire000

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: January 20, 2012, 06:52:43 PM »
Everything else about the tour down under has had massive amounts of planning, and contingencies...... not sure why there wasn't a clean up crew too!!

Pip

Agreed Pip, if they can have a dedicated spotted plane keeping an eye on fire activity along the TDU route, and at one stage 2x rotary wing bombers and a spotter platform on active standby, a cleanup/chainsaw crew should have been a given.

This was not an emergency event............ more like worried event organizers mitigating embarrassment with Adelaide in the spotlight. AdelaideNow reported "have been no warnings announced over race radio". If this was the case, perhaps the TDU organisers were trying to keep it all hush hush............. that was never going to happen.

misterteddy

« Reply #3220 on: January 20, 2012, 08:49:56 PM »
it's a world event, showcasing lots about  the state. I reckon it was a valid call to do what was needed to keep it running smoothly and safely. Maybe in the future they will look at other needs as a result of what has happened, thats how the fire related resources happened to be produced remember but on the day....today, right call.

You could be forgiven for thinking that volunteers only want to be disturbed for the 4th alarm campaign fires, and not the other small "e" emergencies that the public has, when they dont know who to call. Maybe using a broom instead of a 64 is beneath some people

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: January 21, 2012, 06:25:50 AM »
I thought the councils up in Adelaide had rapid response crews to deal with debris on roads such as yesterdays situation
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: January 21, 2012, 10:10:46 AM »

Pip

Agreed Pip, if they can have a dedicated spotted plane keeping an eye on fire activity along the TDU route, and at one stage 2x rotary wing bombers and a spotter platform on active standby, a cleanup/chainsaw crew should have been a given.

This was not an emergency event............ more like worried event organizers mitigating embarrassment with Adelaide in the spotlight. AdelaideNow reported "have been no warnings announced over race radio". If this was the case, perhaps the TDU organisers were trying to keep it all hush hush............. that was never going to happen.

Most probably have a road sweeper on standby next year. But....

** this was during the community ride before the TDU started & affected cyclists
** what is the difference to community risk from this incident & your 'clean up' pagers for oil, grain spills & post Road Accident incidents ?

I agree with the money spent that should have risks covered. Last year they had SAAS, SES and CFS vehicles following the TDU cyclists during each stage. Not sure if they have the same this year.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

pumprescue

« Reply #3223 on: January 21, 2012, 11:03:15 AM »
They do this year as well, 2xQRV's following, but they might have still been at previous stage?

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: January 21, 2012, 06:44:08 PM »
I thought the councils up in Adelaide had rapid response crews to deal with debris on roads such as yesterdays situation

They do.
But this wasn't in Adelaide.
According to the media, TDU did arrange for a contract sweeper to go over the
road, and it arrived before the CFS crew/s had finished. 
Given that a stage is 120-150 km or so, and this is a first time, it would seem
unreasonable for the TDU to have had one stationed every 20km or so needed to
achieve a reasonable response time.

I hope the CFS crew/s took pictures. Putting tacks out to puncture the tyres of
racing bikes, even if it was "just" the public being targetted, is only one
step short of setting man-traps in my view.

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.