Author Topic: CFS, 7 news 6 pm tonight  (Read 26103 times)

Offline Jono

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
CFS, 7 news 6 pm tonight
« on: July 24, 2007, 06:38:49 PM »
Did anyone else happen to see the CFS issue on the news?

Go VFBA!
Jono
Snr 2
Seaford CFS (Mawson Group)

BLEVE

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: CFS, 7 news 6 pm tonight
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 07:02:27 PM »
I missed it by about 5 minutes did anyone happen  to transcribe/ tape /you tube it?

Offline David

• David
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 07:11:44 PM »
 :? Didn't know it was on would be interested in hearing what it was about etc
Williamstown
SFF 1
Log off
(formally 38)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 08:19:56 PM »
i could youtube it...maybe tommorow

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 08:52:45 PM »
CEO didnt seem to supportive.  :|
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline wilma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 09:41:58 PM »
let us know when its on youtube i missed the news   :oops:
Barossa CFS Group
Barrosa DGO 3
(Formaly Wilma)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 10:11:32 PM »
The story was about the way the new Comms system is confusing ie the way our pager messages for responses are sent out and the volunteers arent happy :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 11:17:35 AM »
It didn't really say much about what was wrong and why the vols don't like it though... What exactly is the problem? I couldn't see anything wrong with the pager message they showed...  Does anyone know what the complaint is?

pumprescue

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 11:21:42 AM »
Its different.

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 12:50:39 PM »
1900131 07:43:19 25-07-07 PLS PH THE MINISTER ON MOBILE
Wonder if this had anything to do with last night? Listed as Euan's pager on the site.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 01:12:54 PM »
I hope the whole TV thing wasnt about pager messages.. If people cant get their head around the pager message, they shouldnt be going any further.. The job is dangerous enough as it is, without people who don't understand the pager message.

I know that may seem harsh, but there are many more problems that could have / I hope were addressed than a bl##dy pager message layout !!!!

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 02:14:13 PM »
it isn't.

Offline littlejohn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 03:25:26 PM »
Maybe it's about underlying issues of promises made but not kept.

Some people here have no problems with the mfs pager layout. They may live nearer the metro area and/or get useful & relatively accurate info on them, so I can understand why those people would have contempt for people who whinge about the change to mfs comms.

However some of us are lucky to get more than two useful words on the message, and find it pot luck as to whether Adelaide Fire come up on other end of the radio when called.
The change has resulted in a lot of backwards steps, and annoying pager messages are simply the obvious reminders of promises that have not been kept.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 03:46:46 PM »
Our group like a lot of others now runs a duty officer system so if adelaide fire don't answer we just go over to our group TG's, however we have been told to keep track of times it takes for adelaide fire to answer and record it if it takes a long time.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

pumprescue

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 04:33:44 PM »
Not answering the radio isn't acceptable, keep notes on that.

Offline Comms

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »

When one person is monitoring up to 9 cfs channels it is just not possible to guarantee a response!

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 08:05:29 PM »
Your kidding me aren't you!

If a professional call receipt and dispatch centre can't answer calling appliances, I'd say there is a problem - wouldn't you.

If what you say is true that a staff member is too busy to answer calling appliances then this issue is clearly one for every person in the state to be truly concerned and outraged about.

What a crazy thought that our emergency service responders can't be answered by Adelaide Fire, it's crazy whatever the reason is.......

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 08:39:48 PM »

When one person is monitoring up to 9 cfs channels it is just not possible to guarantee a response!
But i bet 150 gets looked after! Big statement to make there. At least when it was in CFS hands you WERE guaranteed a response.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 08:56:08 PM »

You have to be F*#*#*# joking right !! ???  So what is going to happen if someone transmits a mayday?? - They can't be gaurenteed a response?? - What, they just die??  .. That's unbelievable, and if true, will be raised at a higher level and hopefully taken further.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 08:58:01 PM by RescueHazmat »

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 09:00:26 PM »
funny that....ive heard Adelaide Fire Call up  421 (christies beach i believe) on TG124 ?!?!?!  what happened to TG150 lol...

Ideally at MFS comcen, there should be at least 1 person dedicated to all the CFS Regional Ops Talkgroups...(or more im not sure)

I wonder how MAYDAY-TG115 is monitored at Adelaide fire...having to listen to several other TG's already...

Wonder whats gonna happen/change b4 this summer hits us???

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 09:05:00 PM »
421, O'halloran Hill, were probably in CFS area, so probably being spoken too by whomever was monotoring the CFS desk.. (Hence being on 124)  .. - Leaving TG150 to whom ever was on that desk..

Still doesn't explain why a response on GRN can't be gaurenteed ! - Thats just disgusting..

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 10:35:25 PM »

Doesn't hurt to Say "standby blah blah" takes two seconds :|

We went out the other morning and we were the only CFS brigade in the state out at the time and it took a bit over 20 seconds to get a response. What will happen when there's multiple jobs around the state running, perhaps all groups should implement a duty roster so the brigades don't have to worry about talking to adelaide fire!!!!! 

Perhaps it's time to maybe recruit soem of the former OCO's that didn't get a job!!!!!
(yes i realise there probably isn't funding for that)

Or the UFU could get involved and squeeze some money out of government for it, they seem pretty good at doing that.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2007, 10:53:06 PM »
For your interest, a copy of a posting to the 'CFS Yahoo Group'
---------------------------
CFS Radio dispatch problems
Posted by: "Enfield SES" [email protected]   dsa_sa_98
Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:07 pm (PST)

Hi all,
A new compilation video from the Adelaide TV has been put in the video section
of my FTP server.

The segment is called "CFS Radio Dispatch Problem 24 Jul07.ave"

The video is a 5.7 MB file in Divx (mpeg4) format and runs about 1:40
minutes.

The Web location for the files is ftp://video:[email protected]
and a password of "news" may be needed with some downloading programs.

Cheers
Arno.
-----------------------
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 09:10:15 AM by Firefrog »
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2007, 11:31:32 PM »

Doesn't hurt to Say "standby blah blah" takes two seconds :|

We went out the other morning and we were the only CFS brigade in the state out at the time and it took a bit over 20 seconds to get a response. What will happen when there's multiple jobs around the state running, perhaps all groups should implement a duty roster so the brigades don't have to worry about talking to adelaide fire!!!!! 

Perhaps it's time to maybe recruit soem of the former OCO's that didn't get a job!!!!!
(yes i realise there probably isn't funding for that)

Or the UFU could get involved and squeeze some money out of government for it, they seem pretty good at doing that.

Check out the UFU's statement regarding the CRD http://www.ufusa.asn.au/wordback_5.pdf
Images are copyright

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2007, 01:25:47 AM »
If Adelaide Fire are struggling to cope with the workload now, how is the system going to cope when the state has a moderately bad fire day, with multiple brigades repsonding to multiple calls?, let alone dealing with a really bad day which CFS face each year.... (and remembering we are only talking about Call receipt & dispatch here).

I was listening in to a call out recently, where it took 10 minutes for Adelaide Fire to answer any of the 4 appliances going to the same call.... (and each one called several times).    Because they hadn't "acknowledged receipt of page" (although they all tried) they were also defaulted to the next MFS brigade..

After 10 minutes of calling the Group officer finally got through, stopped called the MFS crew, as they were not required, and advised that had the radio been answered earlier, then a default wouldn't have been required.  The operator stated that he had turned down 124, so he could hear the (country) MFS on the other channel....

As I understand it, there is one person doing the radio for the Country areas, and one for metro....which is going to fail dismally on a busy fire day....I'd suggest no matter how good the operator, they are not going to be able to answer all the country channels in a timely fashion, when things start happening.

To make things worse, is the (often) poor amount of information on pager messages, in regard to address details - and on various forums, some people have bagged anyone who dare criticise the new format (and the associated problems) and have stated to just ask for more info on the radio when you get to the station.

Waiting 10 minutes to get an answer is not going to help the process!

I know the people at Adelaide Fire are trying their best - but the haste at which the process was forced upon the two services, by the Minister, has resulted in several very backwards steps for the call receipt & dispatch for CFS....

Pip

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

anything