Author Topic: CFS Station most in need or repair/replacement  (Read 30994 times)

Offline Red Truck Wonderland

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
CFS Station most in need or repair/replacement
« on: July 31, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
I had the oportunity to spend some time in hamely bridge CFS,  In my opinon they are doing it hard.  They need to move things around to squeeze in the trucks. Toilet  i feel they should have a new station.

Does anybody else think they deserve a new station additions??? 

I feel this could be a positive way to support some of our poorer cousins. 

anybody think of any others???
You need to get a life outside of the CFS. Go outside, look around. I'm sure trailer parks smell lovely in the morning.

rescue5271

Re: CFS Station most in need or repair/replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 08:40:55 PM »
There are a large number of CFS stations right around the state that need new stations,when you look at SES stations that are being built and all they do is tow cars of the beach and the poor CFS station down the road that does 100 plus calls a year is in a run down station then you have to wounder why is this so???

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 10:33:10 PM »
Where would you like to start with Stations that need maintenance?

Have a look at the Promo Website - have a look at the many stations on there in need of upgrading - I'd suggest only a minority have toilets, many stations need more space than what they have - many have no meeting room, some don't even have power connected.....

The new Clare Station, officially opened on the weekend, was reported in th paper as costing $845,000 to build - 6 bays, meeting room, toilets, kitchen, radio room and a few small offices.    I am not suggesting that they shouldn't have it, but CFS needs to look at the cost of building these stations......if the cost of building them was less per station, there would be more money to be shared with other brigades also in need.

The Government goes on about how much it supports it's volunteers...perhaps they need to stop talking about it, and provide further funds for capital works...so that brigades have suitable facilities to meet their needs.

I don't suggest that every brigade needs the same facilities - far from it, but brigades do need facilities to meet their individual requirements.

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 11:43:51 AM »
I vote Basket Range Pip :-D

Closely followed by
Hamley Bridge
Tarlee
Manoora
Farrel Flat
Images are copyright

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 12:41:58 PM »
I was told there is a ten year list of who is getting a station has anyone seen this?????????

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 12:43:56 PM »
I think most stations over 1/2 hour from Adelaide could use some patching up.
 and many that are closer

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 01:05:28 PM »
....The new Clare Station, officially opened on the weekend, was reported in th paper as costing $845,000 to build - 6 bays, meeting room, toilets, kitchen, radio room and a few small offices.    I am not suggesting that they shouldn't have it, but CFS needs to look at the cost of building these stations......if the cost of building them was less per station, there would be more money to be shared with other brigades also in need.

For my curiosity, how would you suggest to reduce the size and thus cost, given that the new Clare HQ is housing three entities. This is SES, CFS and CFS Group.

The capital and ongoing costs would also be shared between the organisations.

I admit I did not see the vehicle sheds, just the building at the back during a two day meeting.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 01:09:23 PM »
...when you look at SES stations that are being built and all they do is tow cars of the beach and the poor CFS station down the road that does 100 plus calls a year is in a run down station then you have to wounder why is this so???

Why didn't they combine HQ facilities like SES & CFS have in other locations ? Was it volunteer politics ?

I do not know which township you are referring to (I guess either meningie or Kingston SE). If Kingston SE, then I guess it is for the SES preparing for the marine rescue boat to be transferred within 12 to 24 months.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 02:03:47 PM »
I am suggesting that the price of some of these buildings are way over what, say, a farmer, would pay for an equivalent shed, based on prices I have seen offered around the place.

Basically the Clare Station, like many others around the place is simple a big shed, concrete floor, with a transportable building dumped on the block, containing meeting room, toilets, kitchen and a few smaller offices.....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 02:46:26 PM »
I am suggesting that the price of some of these buildings are way over what, say, a farmer, would pay for an equivalent shed, based on prices I have seen offered around the place....

Agreed. But I thought that was because the local building contractors charge more because it is a government paid job.

This I thought was to cover slow invoice payments, warranty claims (eg electrical fault in ceiling of meeting room at Clare), more intensive OH&S requirements, travel costs to remote location, trucking costs for remote location, etc, etc. Aside from profit opportunity....

If ever the Clare HQ needs to be a staging area or AIIMS team base, wow....

Sorry about diverting the topic off track..   :-D
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Smokey Bear

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 03:26:02 PM »
I think the last thing we want to do is ask the CFS to start cutting costs with anything to do with capital works, they do that enough with the current appliances being produced.  That will just end in trouble and an even bigger maintenance list.

The more appropriate thing would be to lobby the government for more funding for capital works.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 03:47:19 PM »
well how about the CFS starts giving brigades the funds to build their own stations and then it is the brigades job to find builders get quotes etc. I know it is a lot of work but most of the time the public is willing to support CFS brigades when they could just bill the state govt and i bet many CFS brigades would put that extra work in  for a year and then be happy because they got the station they wanted.

Of course the other problem and this is facing my brigade is getting the funding to buy or lease land.

Offline alphaone

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 05:32:54 PM »
I had the oportunity to spend some time in hamely bridge CFS,  In my opinon they are doing it hard.  They need to move things around to squeeze in the trucks. Toilet  i feel they should have a new station.

Does anybody else think they deserve a new station additions??? 

I feel this could be a positive way to support some of our poorer cousins. 

anybody think of any others???

Red Truck, I have to agree with you that Hamely need a new station, they have approxiametly 25 females in their brigade- cadets and firefighters. Balakavia are "supposedly" getting a new station, a head of Hamely, yet they have facilities for both males and females, and they have locker space. At Hamely they are crammened in their little shed, one toliet, no wear to change, those are just the beginings of the complants that I know the members of Hamely have about their station.

pumprescue

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 05:48:59 PM »
The trouble is, its a fire station, as soon as you put emergency services in the quote, the price goes up, and I think the new one's still aren't that flash, they are still tin sheds with a few office spaces, I can't beleive they still haven't gone to drive through engine bays, the blocks of land are big enough !!

On the other hand, have they gone overboard in some more rural area's, some 1 horse town stations I think are to much, for 1-5 calls a year, you don't need much. Like some have mentioned though, the high prices are usually for group bases with SES involved, so they are gonna be big. But maybe thats where we nee to look at why we need 8 engine bays, do we need all those resources.

Ahhhhh well, I am sure the goons in HQ know what they are doing........

Offline mattthefirey

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 07:37:22 PM »
i think you will find that the reason that it cost more to build emergency service stations that sheds for farmers is because we have to comply to the Australian building code IE handicapped toilets and all the other stuff because it is a public building etc as for old stations if they do minor works to those that didnt comply they then have to outlay money for those changes even that some are not necessary
my opinion only

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 07:49:31 PM »

Closely followed by
Hamley Bridge
Tarlee
Manoora
Farrel Flat

One must not forget that Kalangadoo CFS is stationed in the old council dual bay shed although were on the list for a single bay station in 2010/2011   
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 07:52:32 PM »

Closely followed by
Hamley Bridge
Tarlee
Manoora
Farrel Flat

Chuck in a vote for Lyndoch - worst station I have seen for a brigade doing 100+ calls a year...

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 11:59:37 PM »
This thread shows that while people may be unhappy with their stations etc they should also think about some of those brigades less fortunate.  Is it Kiki, down the Sth East  just a tin shed,  with a rain water tank O/S.  I have driven past it a few time and thought how fortunate i really am.

The CFS is well ahead of most other services in Australia.  Ok CFA gets a mention by many people but let me assure you they have alot of station also in a poor state.  as for NSW, I've been there as well, there the segrigation is east or West of the blue mountains.  After being involved in a rural NSW sation, i was glad to join the CFS.  Training, upto date appliances oh yeah and anybody who went to NSW would remember those garden hoses they use.  As for QLD, Well thats another story.

If your in the CFS your in a better situation than you think. SAMFS on the other hand are behind both NSW QLD and Vic, although things are changing on that front esp if you look at the USAR equipment and new CABA stuff. It's just a pitty they still need to use Oten for a lot of the Qualifications......

RTW
You need to get a life outside of the CFS. Go outside, look around. I'm sure trailer parks smell lovely in the morning.

rescue5271

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 06:32:25 AM »
CFS stations right across the state all have their own problems and their is also a waste of money in community's that have ses/cfs/saas/mfs... We have community's that can no longer support 3/4 volunteer services as there are not enough members to go around...So rather than allow these services to become one service CFS/MFS they build them a new station.As for the cost involved it is true that once you say its for the government the price does go up as for complying to AUST STAND for new stations I would have to disagree there where in the last two years has there been a station/shed built that has disabled toilets?? or disabled carparking????

Offline 24pumper

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 11:11:38 AM »

If your in the CFS your in a better situation than you think. SAMFS on the other hand are behind both NSW QLD and Vic, although things are changing on that front esp if you look at the USAR equipment and new CABA stuff. It's just a pitty they still need to use Oten for a lot of the Qualifications......

RTW

Red,
Interesting, Could you explain this further please

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2007, 05:02:58 PM »
I dont think that MFS are being hard done by,look at Elizabeth,Golden Grove,Mt Gambier,Renmark, and the soon to be completed Beulah Park stations. :?

CFS are a long way behind in comparison :wink:

Images are copyright

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2007, 05:40:34 PM »
I dont think that MFS are being hard done by,look at Elizabeth,Golden Grove,Mt Gambier,Renmark, and the soon to be completed Beulah Park stations. :?

CFS are a long way behind in comparison :wink:

I think he/she is getting confused about what the thread is about?
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2007, 08:29:29 PM »
Hi 24 Pumper,  Firstly lets compare apples with apples.  The cfs is by my experience the best Vol service in Australia. correct me if i'm wrong but we swapped training pakages to our advantage with other services in australia. Promote and Assess nationaly recogniosed qualifications,  Just look at the BFF1

CFS Equipment is exceptional and state of the art. just have a look at the NSWRFS, CFS strategicly have had good management conversley I question wether management is currently focused in the correct direction as i have previously stated in another thread, becomming too urbanised. 

The statement made was intended to be a positive one, that suggests we are in a great position but like with anything you can make improvements.

RTW

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2007, 09:04:35 PM »
Hi SA Firey,
 Ok get your blinkers off you have looked at recently built MFS Stations, MFS have been smart in that they are building stations for the future (Room to move). have you been down to their training centre at angle park? quiet impressive. Don't fool yourself and attempt to compare them with current CFS Stations, they are build different because they are used differently.  Thats the like putting 14's or 24's in all mfs stations and only pumpers and skyjets in cfs stations.

Many MFS stations are now outdated and in need of repair - extentions. I have no doubt that in the future more new stations will be built, like a new Northen and Sothern HQ, that would have say ten trucks in them.  Maybe this is closer than we think. Why did Station 33 get rebuilt and not station 32? could that be planned as the new nthrn HQ?  and similary down sth with the strategic placement of a station at seaford. The current HQ would look after east and west. 

All to often on this forum, people think that CFS is the same as MFS. Well you're NOT.

RTW

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2007, 02:12:24 PM »
Hi Red Truck

No blinkers on here mate...I was merely commenting in response to your comment of SAMFS being behind NSW QLD and Vic.
I started at a station over 25 years ago which still doesnt have enough room to swing a cat,and we all know that there are a lot of CFS stations doing it tough in terms of space,facilities and amenities.

So hopefully there will be some welcome upgrades to stations in 2007/2008

Images are copyright

anything