Author Topic: Professional Firey Qualifications  (Read 6278 times)

Offline BHPESO

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Professional Firey Qualifications
« on: August 05, 2007, 09:04:19 PM »
What constitutes a qualified fire fighter?  I recently received an email, it was from a CFS Fire Fighter, he stated on the email that he was a qualified fire fighter!!!!  This has been sent to many people, he also listed that he was a licenced .trade.  (Do you need to put a Lic Number as well). I'm lead beleive it has also been put onto business cards.

Is it just me, or does it seem that it is written as a, "I WISH I WAS"!!!!

I reckon that if you are going to put a title to your name at the end or a communication you should back it up with a level, similar to what is done with diploma’s and degrees.  Or better still leave it off.  Unless this is your primary income and you have adequate proof.

In my industry we typically put Emergency Services Officer, but if the email is not work related we leave it off.

So what does constitute a qualified fire fighter,  BFF1 ???????  Or being paid???? years of experience??????  Haveing a red stripe or a yellow hat?????    You tell me.

Regards

BHP ESO

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Professional Firey Qualifications
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 10:28:45 PM »
A qualified fire fighter is a person who has achieved a nationally accredited training course in Fire Fighting and Emergency operations.

http://www.ntis.gov.au/Default.aspx?/trainingpackage/PUA00

This link points to the range of nationally accredited qualifications for Fire and other public safety disciplines.

So to answer the question a minimum of cert II in Fire Fighting Operations is required to claim the title of qualified.

However you could argue that to be qualified you only need to meet the requirements of the agencym therefore if they require that you have been shown how to squirt water and you have been shown then aren't you qualified??? :roll:

Offline Red Truck Wonderland

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 11:59:37 PM »
A

Is it just me, or does it seem that it is written as a, "I WISH I WAS"!!!!

Another crank wannabe if you ask me!!
You need to get a life outside of the CFS. Go outside, look around. I'm sure trailer parks smell lovely in the morning.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 12:05:11 AM »
Agree with FireFrog.. - Their is Cert II and III in Firefighting operations & Emergency procedures etc. (these cover a range of theory and practical assessments over a wide variety of modules - Both Core and selection elective). I believe you can then move onto a degree/diploma in public safety or the Cert IV in Supervisory/Management in regards to public safety.

Some things in BFF1 or what the CFS Firey has done would quite possibly meet the requirement for some of the modules in those Cert's.. But not all of them. - I know CFS doesn't offer Aviation Firefighting modules which part of Cert III covers... (thats just one of the modules off the top of my head from the electives)..

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 12:07:38 AM »
And just on the topic, if he/she stated he was a "qualified" firefighter, I guess technically he/she may be.. - If he has completed the CFS components to "qualify" him as a 'CFS' firefighter... Well.. I guess he/she is...

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 08:17:37 AM by RescueHazmat »

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 09:24:58 AM »
...What constitutes a qualified fire fighter?  I recently received an email, it was from a CFS Fire Fighter, he stated on the email that he was a qualified fire fighter!!!!...

For myself, it depends what the persons purpose for placing that in the signature. What did they hope to gain from it ?

My work signature will state my IT qualifications to people I deal with in business. This is to prove that I am qualified in what I talk about & have some (not much) authority.

If I am writing on behalf of SA SES Volunteers Association in my capcity of Public Relations, then I will place that sometimes under the signature. This is to state that I have been elected.

But I would never state that I am qualified in Emergency Operations, Rescue or Communications under a signature. I have certificates, but I do not believe authority.

So what was the context of the email (no specifics please) ? What do you believe was the person trying to achieve by adding that to his signature ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
Slightly different, do people state their Emergency Services Medal qualifications ? Would it server any pourpose ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Pixie

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 10:00:18 AM »
I take it they were stating that they were a "Qualified Firefighter" on a cover letter for a job as an ESO, or to become part of the Mines Rescue team??

In this aspect, they probably think they are qualified...

If you was writing a job application for an emergency services job, it is obvious that you would be listing all of your Nationaly Acredited Training units gained through CFS, especialy since the SAMFS have started RPL.

So in general terms, this person could probably be considered a "qualified firefighter" eg. if i was applying for a job, i would probably put

JOE BLOGS

CFS LEVEL 1(or 2, or 3) FIREFIGHTER
ROAD CRASH RESCUE OPERATOR
SEINOR FIRST AIDER

SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 10:18:40 AM »
personally (as a vollunteer firefighter) i would only use a signature as such;

Joe Blogs
Leutenient
MiniMong CFS

if it was in relation to CFS activities...
otherwise id say hes a bit of a wannker

if it was a job application then those sort of accreditations should be in a CV, otherwise the employer will probly think the same of them.... (wannkers...)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 10:43:05 AM by mack »

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 06:16:54 PM »
personally (as a vollunteer firefighter) i would only use a signature as such;

Joe Blogs
Leutenient
MiniMong CFS

if it was in relation to CFS activities...
otherwise id say hes a bit of a wannker

if it was a job application then those sort of accreditations should be in a CV, otherwise the employer will probly think the same of them.... (wannkers...)

Im with Mack on that one, qualifications should be in your CV :wink: 
Images are copyright

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 09:02:27 PM »
Where was he from? Certain Fire services in Australia do offer both the training required for Cert II and III in Firefighting operations, as well as ranks equivalent to the "trade qualification" of Firefighter. As far as I know, CFS doesn't offer anything such as this.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 06:50:46 PM »
Where was he from? Certain Fire services in Australia do offer both the training required for Cert II and III in Firefighting operations, as well as ranks equivalent to the "trade qualification" of Firefighter. As far as I know, CFS doesn't offer anything such as this.

Correct, they only have about 5-6 courses which can be accredited to the cert II / III, rest have to be done externally.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline BHPESO

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 11:37:41 PM »
CFS. 

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 08:18:12 PM »
how about before you state "how much of a filtered" the person is - how about you make sure the person is not a memeber of this forum!!!!

first does the email say how or who the person is qualified fire fighter for??

do you know what training the person has had to make the claim qualified fire fighter?

i do know the person he is a qualified CFS fire fighter and for the cfs standads i beleave he can claim that he is a qualified fire fighter for info only hes done BFFF1 new and old, BFFF2 and 3 old, admin o2, defib, ocaba, cfb,tsg, grn burnover etc, it is all in YOUR views as to what a "qualified fire fighter" is!!

and the trade that is listed in the email, if you want the lic number ask the question and you will get, or go on to the net type in the name on ocbas web site and you will have all the details you need!! you dont have to provide the number unless it is asked for.

and if you are just having a dig at the person well take it else where, or direct to the person as i think this is not the place for it!!

btw how did you get the email BHPESO, was it send to you directly or was it forwarded to you from some one else?

if it was direct to you would know the person and there would be no need to bag them!! if not the email may have not ment to be sent on and there for was not ment for you to read!!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 07:53:44 AM by Firey9119 »
Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 08:44:33 PM »
9119 - Maybe direct your grievences with the person who created this thread or the Administrator.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 08:20:37 AM by RescueHazmat »

rescue5271

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2007, 07:21:07 AM »
Close this one firefrog its going to be nasty.......

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2007, 10:43:16 AM »
9119, settle down champ!

He can't claim a trade qualification as a fire fighter unless he has either his Cert II or III in Public Safety, Firefighting and Emergency Operations. If he claims to be a qualified CFS firefighter then that is no issue at all, and he sounds qualified within the bounds of the CFS.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...