Author Topic: CFS first responder to medical emergencies  (Read 18266 times)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Re: CFS first responder to medical emergencies
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 08:54:07 PM »
Not asking for a blanket handout and as has been stated there are brigades who are willing to pay for the equipment, and also to get members trained in Advanced Resus yet we are continually stymied on the issue by Region,or would that set a precedent for CFS to have First Responder Brigades :evil:
Images are copyright

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2007, 08:46:13 AM »
Our group was offered oxyviva for the two RCR trucks, at the moment mount compass has it but were told that they can't use it?? Go figure
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline samfs

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2007, 09:28:01 PM »
i think that all cfs/mfs/ses should be trained in trauma some what as saas cant all ways get there as quick because of distances to an incident and there is nothing worse than having to wait when we all could be doing something to help saas so when they arrive they can take over and do what they do best   

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2007, 09:49:15 PM »
Not asking for a blanket handout and as has been stated there are brigades who are willing to pay for the equipment, and also to get members trained in Advanced Resus yet we are continually stymied on the issue by Region,or would that set a precedent for CFS to have First Responder Brigades :evil:

Yes I understand that, and specifically agree that those that are willing to pay for the equipement and training, should not be restricted by region/state at any level.

However believe when it comes to the state paying for the gear, I believe it needs to be worked out who should qualify for it.

Byt ofcourse, if the brigade are willing to purchase the gear and train in it to better their abilities at the scene, then I can't see any "reasonable" objection that Region / State could have. 

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2007, 04:23:01 PM »
Due to the adhoc nature of OxyViva's in some brigades and their use,and being denied authority to use it, maybe we should start a petition through the VFBA for that as well. :x

Im sure we would get plenty of support on this in the interest of firefighter safety on the fireground,let alone the benefit to members of the public we save using it.
Images are copyright

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2007, 08:27:51 PM »
what was the reason region/state provided for rejecting your application?  If no good reason, and you have tried first to do things "the right way", then if it were me I'd just buy them anyway and be done with it.

rescue5271

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2007, 08:32:48 PM »
Problem is you just can't go and buy the gear,CFS has a policy in buy gear and we must follow that policy...Having said that I would like to know what would be done if a supplier donated the gear in return for say some local publicity???

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2007, 08:44:45 PM »
Oxyvivas are old old old tech, go for something newer, perhaps a multipurpose EMT pack, which includes your O2 for therapy and includes a full trauma kit etc etc.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2007, 09:59:22 PM »
I think you would be referring to a Thomas Pack. - Oxyviva kits aren't neccessarily old technology or the old box tins, they now come in all forms / shapes & sizes. - I believe when people are rereffing to Oxyviva's they are referring to Oxygen Therapy equipment in general.. Lay terms ;)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2007, 01:45:46 AM »
Got it in one Rescue :-D
Images are copyright

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2007, 09:43:57 AM »
what was the reason region/state provided for rejecting your application?  If no good reason, and you have tried first to do things "the right way", then if it were me I'd just buy them anyway and be done with it.

so who would then pay for the initial training and upkeep of skills? would add up a bit with thirty or so memebrs in the brigade?

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2007, 09:45:08 AM »
i think that all cfs/mfs/ses should be trained in trauma some what as saas cant all ways get there as quick because of distances to an incident and there is nothing worse than having to wait when we all could be doing something to help saas so when they arrive they can take over and do what they do best   

senior first aid covers trauma to a degree.... we have 'basic' first aid kits... im sure we can get to work in some way or other until SAAS arrives...

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007, 04:28:13 PM »
so who would then pay for the initial training and upkeep of skills? would add up a bit with thirty or so memebrs in the brigade?

same way it happens in your group I guess. But didn't you read the doc MattB posted, it looked like a well thought out proposal to me. Anyway I'm not in Mawson so it's not my business but if they want to push it I'm sure they are capable of doing so themselves.

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2007, 12:17:50 AM »

Sturt Group considers it money well spent to have a sizeable core of members in all brigades kept up to speed with O2 as well as 1st aid.  State Training do it at an acceptable price.

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2007, 08:53:29 AM »

Sturt Group considers it money well spent to have a sizeable core of members in all brigades kept up to speed with O2 as well as 1st aid.  State Training do it at an acceptable price.

yeah, i know, and agree with sturt group. just stating that that is something a brigade that may decide to 'go rogue' would have to consider.... it wouldnt be terribly cheap considering the course is only a 1 year accreditation...

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2007, 11:45:09 AM »
Having tried going down the right course and channels to try and get this equipment the response from Region is poor to say the least.

Even offering to buy the equipment and pay for training wouldnt sway our fearless leader :evil:
Images are copyright

Offline big bronto

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2007, 05:51:19 PM »
If you look at MFB's first responder program will fill you in on a lot, some CFA brigades are now first responders aswell. First step for SA emergency services is to make SAMFS first responders to assist in SAAS workload and improving first response times.

Offline NotRedAdair

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2007, 06:03:28 PM »
First responders need to be onsite quicker than the nearest available SAAS unit, otherwise it defeats the purpose. This automatically counts out the CFS, on time alone.
The SAMFS are considering a proposal to become first responder under the new EB negotiations.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »
hang on there are large swaths of area where CFS can frequently beat SAAS eg northern end of east Torrens

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2007, 06:13:01 PM »
First responders need to be onsite quicker than the nearest available SAAS unit, otherwise it defeats the purpose. This automatically counts out the CFS, on time alone.
Doesn't that automatically count in most CFS brigades?  There are many towns in SA that have a CFS brigade, and don't have a SAAS station  (And you don't have to go very far out to find volunteer ambulance stations either).

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2007, 06:59:16 PM »

Have you read the previous posts in relation to this topic, in regard to the time taken for SAAS to get to many areas?   Perhaps you have already read the topic, and chosen to deliberately cast a hook, in the hope of stirring the pot.....  :|

The type of postings here, and on some of the other threads in a similar vein are neither entertaining or constructive.

Perhaps a few people need to grow up and put forward some sensible discussions points, rather than behaving like school kids in the playground

Pip
(who does put a name to the posting, rather than hide behind a nickname)
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2007, 09:27:55 PM »
I would love to see all (or at least just the odd 1) MFS personnel spend time out in RURAL south australia....not Adelaide Hills and outer surrounds....places like Karoonda, Salt Creek, Mambray Creek, Iron Knob....all these places...would be A VERY GOOD EYE OPENER....the volunteers there have a REAL passion to do the job....

now, BACK on topic.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 09:40:22 PM by Dezza »

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2007, 10:07:41 PM »
The SAMFS are considering a proposal to become first responder under the new EB negotiations.

That is interesting as when SAAS approached MFS previously to do that they said how much extra $ do we get.Apparently SAMFS and the UFU rejected it. :?
Images are copyright

Offline Red Truck Wonderland

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2007, 10:58:56 PM »
I would love to see all (or at least just the odd 1) MFS personnel spend time out in RURAL south australia....not Adelaide Hills and outer surrounds....places like Karoonda, Salt Creek, Mambray Creek, Iron Knob....all these places...would be A VERY GOOD EYE OPENER....the volunteers there have a REAL passion to do the job....

now, BACK on topic.

Dezza, I don't question your passion. In rural areas the CFS is an Asset,  I don't pitty those guys who travel +3hrs either way for a hazmat job on the west coast.  The politics is centred around the outer suburbs, MFS and CFS usually work well together at ground level when the jobs on. however aguments begin mostly from people attempting to make it their living.

nothing else to do but pick faults.

In rural areas I fully support the idea of first responders. I would strongly recomend that people visit and join their local SAAS team.   
You need to get a life outside of the CFS. Go outside, look around. I'm sure trailer parks smell lovely in the morning.

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2007, 09:01:28 AM »

lmfao - what an uneducated comment... you obviously dont have a clue about anything outside of metro adelaide do you?

re; MFS doing first response to medical emergencies. i wouldnt have thought they had the spare resources? or is it going to get to the point of running a couple of jobs at a time and having to tell SAAS, "sorry about our agreement but we want to keep those trucks available.."

well actually i guess they'd just call CFS to fill in the gaps in stations as usual... you know only the small stations... like adelaide.