Author Topic: Mt Gambier MFS doing RCR for 30KM  (Read 13578 times)

uniden

Mt Gambier MFS doing RCR for 30KM
« on: August 08, 2007, 08:13:11 PM »
17:46:23 08-08-07 MTG: Weekly test page. Hopefully we will get something done before it''s too late. Keep your chins up and keep working hard!!

This must be about the so called turf war, so says the local SES controller.

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 08:19:15 PM »
17:46:23 08-08-07 MTG: Weekly test page. Hopefully we will get something done before it''s too late. Keep your chins up and keep working hard!!

This must be about the so called turf war, so says the local SES controller.
:? must be a local thing.
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

rescue5271

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 08:21:06 PM »
Rumour has it MFS want to do RCR and fire cover for 30kms from the mount...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 08:28:56 PM »
30km's is a long way  for RCR  :-o....especially when there is already a SES brigade covering RCR in the area about to be expanded into!

if i crashed my car 29km from mt gambier...id like the CLOSEST resource sent to me :)  for both fire cover and RCR
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 08:48:14 PM by Dezza »

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 09:26:48 PM »
MFS are fulltime down that way MON - FRI on day shift.. IF you crashed your car 29km from the mount, I would hazard a guess that the MFS would get to you first! - and be able to do both Rescue, and Fire cover..
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 01:03:50 AM by RescueHazmat »

uniden

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 09:30:27 PM »
Fire cover?? The closest and most appropriate resource should be utilised. According to the road crash book, fire cover would always be the closest fire appliance. Be it red or white.

pumprescue

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 01:56:28 AM »
Fire cover, unlikely, but certainly rescue, there isn't much in the way of rescue down there, so that makes sense they would go that far, times change, this was to be expected, the road crash rescue commitee would have rocks in there head to knock back a fulltime rescue crew over volunteer, got nothing to do with who has done it in the past, or what they are capable of, its just the simple fact they are a fulltime crew.

Lets wait for the bashing session to start......... :roll:

rescue5271

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 07:24:48 AM »
if it was 30 kms it would be in Millicent rescue area,ses in the mount are very fast out the door,keep in mind MFS only have one day time crew for one appliances,so they would be leaving the area wide open for the retain guys to cover with CFS back up.... As for rescue  cover,well there is ses mount/mfs mount/millicent cfs and millicent ses/penola cfs so there are lots of rescue resources down here... Understand that the full time day MFS crew are not happy as they dont get alot of call outs the retain guys are getting most of the action after hours.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mt Gambier MFS doing RCR for 30KM
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 03:21:09 PM »
We have to action the job that is occuring. - Not worry bout what "might" happen in the town.. - That is why the retained come in to cover/backup the full timers as they go to a job.

If a Rescue is occuring 30km out of town, I am most certain the fulltime crew would arrive on scene, before another service. - This is getting the quickest service to the scene.. And getting the job done. - Hence, saving lives!..

You cant go " Well that leaves the town un-covered " .. because that is why the retained crew is paged in.. - Someone shouldn't have to die, trapped in their car, just because something "might" happen in town if the truck was to respond.

It has nothing to do with how much 'action' they get.. Thats just a silly statement. They can get to the job quicker, they are a fulltime crew who have every capability to do the job, so let them do it! .. - If you want to respond the other services as backup, then do it, many hands make light work. But it would be stupid not to send a fulltime service when it is only 30 km away compared to 'hoping' a Vol. crew will respond to the page.

rescue5271

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 03:37:42 PM »
Before MFS get to cocky they need to have consultation with all other services,I can assure you Millicent and both penola CFS have very good RCR skills and do a filtered good job.So the MFS would need to also change their area of responce and just not walk in because they are a full time paid service......Why is it that they want to just take over RCR?? and why is it that its for working hours only????

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 04:08:28 PM »
The Mount shift is day shift. Fulltime MON - FRI (Excl P/Hols). This means that during these hours a fulltime Fire & Rescue service is available. Any one with 'common sense' can see this means, that during these hours, if you have an accident and require rescue, a fulltime service is available and in close proximity. -So what should we do??... SEND IT!..

No one is saying the Volunteers down that way don't do a good job, but at the end of the day, they are hard working Vollies. Which means you CANNOT gaurentee 100% that the service is available when the pagers drop. However, during day shift hours, MON-FRI you CAN gaurentee that the resource is available 30km away.. So send the bl00dy thing! Even if it is just on the off chance that the Vollies don't get a crew! .. - Im sure people who live down that way would agree, if it was them, or one of their loved ones in the up-turned vehicle, they would want a service to get there, which ever colour the appliance.

-I don't believe a decision has been made in regards to what is going to occur, however "I" believe if the fulltime resource is available, and in close proximity (30 km is close when it comes to those areas and those circumstances), then send it.

No one is getting too cocky Rescue5271, but I think some people on here need to realise that the paid services' aren't just out their to take over Vol. Turf.. They are their to do a job! If it means they beat a Vol brigade to a cutout and have the person extricated before the Vol's arrive, well, so be it. At least that person was in their car half hour less than they had to be. That could be the difference between life and death.. (Like wise if the Vols get there first and have them cutout before the Perm's arrive.. Top stuff.. Job done!)

Times are changing, response areas are changing, and some people are going to have to get over it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 08:19:10 PM by RescueHazmat »

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 07:51:48 PM »
There was an article in the 08/08/2007 issue of The Border Watch about this topic  :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

uniden

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 09:08:18 PM »
Mt Gambier MFS has no plans to force the issue over RCR reponses. They will continue to respond to incidents despatched by MFS comms.

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 12:19:24 PM »
Um it's not the MFS getting too cocky, they don't decide it's the road crash rescue commitee. I don't know about 30K's but it is definitely time they were recognised as a road crash resource.

And yeh full time can get a pump/rescue truck out the door without having to wait for crew or going short of crew so they should do it, case closed.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 03:33:43 PM »
Aren't Gambier MFS already in the book as second rescue for the Mount??? Which would mean they are recognised as a heavy rescue resource!!!

But have to agree would be better turnout for MVA's in the district with the full time day crew.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

uniden

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
Let me clear up a few misconceptions.

Aren't Gambier MFS already in the book as second rescue for the Mount??? Which would mean they are recognised as a heavy rescue resource!!!

But have to agree would be better turnout for MVA's in the district with the full time day crew.
Yes Mt Gambier MFS are secondary rescue for Mt Gambier and surrounding districts, ie Compton,Wandilo,Allendale, Port MacDonnell, Yahl etc etc. But they do not carry all of the Heavy Gear that some MFS appliances do, like heavy duty spreaders, Rams and good scene lighting.

Rumour has it MFS want to do RCR and fire cover for 30kms from the mount...

Rumours are exactly that rumours! Dont believe anything until it happens.

As far as not getting a lot of calls during the day. There were 6 responses yesterday, yes two were at night.
for the MFS
Before MFS get to cocky they need to have consultation with all other services,I can assure you Millicent and both penola CFS have very good RCR skills and do a filtered good job.So the MFS would need to also change their area of responce and just not walk in because they are a full time paid service......Why is it that they want to just take over RCR?? and why is it that its for working hours only????

MFS arent even secondary resuce into areas around Penola or Millicent, only support to Mt Gambier SES rescue response area.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 04:16:47 PM by uniden »

Offline firehawk

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 05:47:26 PM »
I'd prefer the SES to cut me out because i can have a chutney and cheese sandwich while i wait! I doubt the culinary skills of the Metros come close!  :-)

rescue5271

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 10:19:11 PM »
I guess watch this space,,,,,,

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 10:49:58 PM »
I'd prefer the SES to cut me out because i can have a chutney and cheese sandwich while i wait! I doubt the culinary skills of the Metros come close!  :-)

You will have to await until your discharge from hospital, don't want to comprimise that surgery ;)

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 02:36:33 PM »
hmmm i havent bothered reading half of what has been said, but here we go anyway...

a permanent fire service dayshift was put in the mount to cover the towns identified risks... so why would you send them way out of district when there is already a competent SES crew available to do so, thus leaving the township covered?

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 03:40:23 PM »
** personal opinion only **

If a MFS crew is at station, then use them. Has a group of emergency service organisations, we must provide the best service for the community.

Currently MFS & SES both roll for RCR incidents. MFS for fire cover & SES for rescue. At the incident I am sure both crews pitch in to help each other get the job done. So it is happening NOW.

Any change in work practices will affect volunteers because some join for the rush & excitement of rescue. But that is for the organisation to work on retaining the volunteer so they feel useful. No one likes constant calls for 'tree down' & nothing else.   :|

But what happens at 5:00pm when the MFS fulltime crew go home ? The RCR Directory currently states that the SES have the equipment/training/crew, then why go to MFS retained crew after normal working hours !!

The current RCR system is setup on areas for the 24x7 coverage. It does not allow for MFS to be dispatched between 0800 to 1700 Monday to Friday, and then SES for the rest. Maybe this will/might change in the future.

At the moment, the person answering the telephone call from a person requesting assistance at a vehicle accident, has a lot to remember and process (I have done this as a volunteer answering 132500). I would not want the operator to look at a clock at (eg what happens at 1650 on a Tuesday) to determine which crew to dispatch.

As stated, both MFS & SES respond now.

But this potential change, like Seaford, needs to be handled properly so that volunteers stay as a resource for the community and feel useful. Time for serious work on volunteer retention.

** personal opinion only **
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 05:49:38 PM »
hmmm i havent bothered reading half of what has been said, but here we go anyway...

a permanent fire service dayshift was put in the mount to cover the towns identified risks... so why would you send them way out of district when there is already a competent SES crew available to do so, thus leaving the township covered?

Quite honestly mack, becuase unfortunately volunteers can't gaurentee a crew.

-As I have clearly stated before.. I'm not commenting on their (SES/CFS)'s abilities or competencies, but if a paid service is 10 mins away, and can GAURENTEE a response, then send them to the people trapped in their car. - We have to consider the emergency at hand, if their isnt a job goin in town, however 3 people require cutting out of their mangled car 10 mins away, then send the resource to them!.. If a job comes up in town, either send the retained crew or once the truck is clear send them back..

It would be an identical situation if the crash happend outside the station, the truck is technically tied up, so response to another call would occur just as if they were 10 mins down the road at a cutout.

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 09:32:46 PM »
whats with the sandwich jokes comon guys its getting old tea and coffee is now help your self cause i dont make your lunch nor do any other ses members

rescue5271

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2007, 09:43:35 PM »
I guess it is getting old,SES do a great job and they do more work than people know...

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2007, 09:46:25 PM »
i know as a ses meber myself i work my backside off help the cfs in big fires and that the cfs and mfs work just as hard when we call them but there is alot more work the ses do then people think

anything